Eric Schmidt confirms ICS for October or November (w/ video of full Dreamforce interview)
1. bolaG (Posts: 468; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Hope the droid prime comes out in october and with gorilla glass. Anyone know what ICS is going to bring to the table?
2. Kjayhawk (Posts: 293; Member since: 07 Oct 2010)
its going to make the ui look a lot nicer more like honeycomb. It will likely be a complete change from the current ui
6. Leodrade (Posts: 87; Member since: 26 Aug 2011)
i also heard rumors about face recognition, that would be awesome too
9. yeasame (unregistered)
yea i hope it comes out in oct. so i can compare the HTC Vigor and rh Droid Prime ................. i cant wait until November i been waiting too long as it is for the Galaxy S2 which we all know is not coming to verizon.. so pretty much if the Droid Prime doesnt come out in Oct... i will just get the HTC Vigor
3. dandirk (Posts: 187; Member since: 04 Aug 2011)
Agree 100%... Gorilla Glass is pretty much a must for me, with my banged up OG droid (everything is a mess except for the glass:)
4. GALAXY-S (Posts: 701; Member since: 07 Jun 2011)
Sounds like a good plan.. its best to focus on making it right than to try and throw it out now and have all kinds of bugs ..
15. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
why would they rush it? I had issue with that sentiment when PA had that article a while ago about "should they" rush it.
your the market leader and widening that lead every day.. not shrinking it. Take your time. ICS is taking android in a whole new direction from its predicessor updates so it needs time to churn and get nice n rich n creamy and lay perfectly on that chocolate cookie crust...mmmmMMMMmmm...
eeeeeeeerr... I mean anything other than taking their time and launching a primo prime time product is only going to allow Apple to catch up or even WP7 to get some extra sales...
Who cares if it launches before or after iOS5. Apple's next OS is just ripping off androids OLD ideas while android charts off in a whole new direction.
and yes, im sure it may make 1 extra person buy bada. :)
5. protozeloz (Posts: 5396; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Indeed there is no need to rush it when you have a huge share cap, and everyone eyes is on your product and expect a lot
7. Lwazi_N (Posts: 205; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
What I'm more interested in is the next Honeycomb update. Since I hear ICS will be a fusion of Gingerbread and Honeycomb so UI's end up more similar. What does this mean for Honeycomb tablets and mobile app compatibility?
10. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2700; Member since: 26 May 2011)
ICS will be on all devices. It's not just a fusion in that it brings the best of Honeycomb to phones, it will be the one OS for all devices, so devs write the app once and it scales to all devices.
13. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
It also brings true dual core support and 3d acceleration, so all dual core phones should get a pretty healthy performance boost since android in its current form doesnt really do either of those.
and.. uh.. what he said :)
14. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i mean dual core optimization, not support.. sorry.
17. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Well I doubt that old 600Mhz phones will get to run it, though. I think the min. system requirements would be 1Ghz single core and about 512 Mb of ram.
20. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
ive heard the facial recognition thing too.. is there any support for that Michael??
21. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2700; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Google has mentioned facial recognition, but it's unclear if that's going to be a security measure, or like the tech used in Hangouts on G+ to focus on who is speaking in a group video session. I wouldn't be surprised by either.
11. jroc74 (Posts: 5980; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Did anybody else look at the pic of the ice cream sandwich and all of a sudden get hungry? Damn...
16. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2700; Member since: 26 May 2011)
I didn't pick it just because of the article topic. That thing looks tasty.
18. ilia1986 (unregistered)
RRrrr.. Me hungry. : )
12. Socialite (Posts: 4; Member since: 05 Sep 2011)
This is an excellent addition to the android software portfolio. Can't wait to see android's numbers crush the competition...
19. Lwazi_N (Posts: 205; Member since: 23 Jun 2011)
Fantastic stuff, Mike. It is only then I shall consider buying an Android tablet. I don't want the iPad/2/3/4 or whatever. The SGT 10.1 is very much tantalizing!
22. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
That ICE Cream looks delicious