DisplayMate: Samsung Galaxy S5 has the "best performing smartphone display that we ever tested"
The screen on the Samsung Galaxy S5 is 22% brighter than the Samsung Galaxy S4's screen and 13% brighter than the display on the Samsung Galaxy Note 3. When automatic brightness is turned on, the Galaxy S5's highest brightness level is 47% above its predecessor and 6% above the Galaxy Note 3.
Power requirements have been lowered for the screen on the Galaxy S5. It takes 18% less power for the Samsung Galaxy S5 to match the same brightness level as the Samsung Galaxy S4, which results in longer lasting battery life on the new model. The Galaxy S5 also features an Ultra Power Saving Mode which lowers the screen brightness and changes the background to black, which saves power and according to the report, can double the life of the battery.
The brightest, sharpest smartphone display ever, and it even uses less energy. In a nutshell, that is what DisplayMate sees with the Samsung Galaxy S5 display.
1. Tizen007 (Posts: 516; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
with awesome battery life, and awesome AMOLED display...
Haters can't hate that :)
6. tedkord (Posts: 4949; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
They can and will. Read the same story at BGR.
10. Nexus4lifes (Posts: 75; Member since: 13 Feb 2014)
Great point, can't get more sold than BGR journalists... they are on apple payroll...
39. Tizen007 (Posts: 516; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
No thanks I don't need to read it. We all know the phone is awesome ,thank you. And welcome to PhoneArena.
60. sipha (Posts: 299; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Why would someone do that instead of just going to the DislayMate link below and get the full picture!!?
115. tedkord (Posts: 4949; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Because people don't want facts, they want a thing that supports their preconceived notions.
25. wilsong17 (Posts: 972; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
you forgot ultra power saving mode
i wish this mode was port to the note 3 so i can listen to music all day and kill all other app
88. joe1blue (Posts: 112; Member since: 25 Jul 2013)
I'm sure whenever this phone is out the developers will be able to put that feature in a Rom or 2
105. Ishmeet (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Sep 2013)
Got it on my note 2, Thanks to DN3 rom by E-team ;)
41. eq5555 (Posts: 63; Member since: 03 Dec 2013)
S5 does not make the blue color at an angle, it's the other distorted colors (made him a red). Look at the right angle, there is a blue items, there's really white-light blue (almost white)
S5 does not make the blue color at an angle
54. Looser99 (Posts: 53; Member since: 10 Nov 2013)
Sorry to say man, but i gotta run. So i'll come back later when i have atleast 10 minutes of free time to read your post and atleast 15 minutes of free time to understand your post. Phew...
76. true1984 (Posts: 593; Member since: 23 May 2012)
the m8 has ddr3 not ddr2, and its shorter than the z2 and narrower than the s5. its also $100 cheaper
80. skyline88 (Posts: 331; Member since: 15 Jul 2013)
i am not sure how good (or how bad) is the display of Z2, but the display of Z, ZR, Z Ultra and Z1 are no where near Samsung territory.
26. fireblade (Posts: 709; Member since: 27 Dec 2013)
But Apple worshippers say Retina display is the best
40. rantao333 (Posts: 260; Member since: 21 May 2013)
yes, until s5 being introduced, i wonder why samsung and fanboy saying they're the best display before s5 ??
42. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3033; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
When I saw a video vs of the SGS4 vs SGS5, I instantly noticed how much brighter the S5's display was. They really fixed most, if not all the complaints that the Super AMOLED display has.
51. express77 (unregistered)
wish it had awesome design as well and 3 gb ram would have buried other flagships. but it seems great.
64. Havok125 (Posts: 10; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
You are correct about the battery life and the display is awesome. I was at my local AT&T store yesterday playing with one. My only concern is that at first when I was looking for it, I couldn't tell the difference from the S4 next to it. I had to ask the manager if they had the S5. If they can just do something about touch wiz and use other materials besides plastic, I'll be all about it. Like I said though, great display.
65. royalsovereign (Posts: 37; Member since: 01 Mar 2014)
Do not get exited,,I have no faith in display mate,, I read their review and they are far from real,,for example they said xperia z has a very oversaturated colors and unrealistic,lol can you believe it,and they praised HTC one for worm colors,completely against the truth,,and they only reviwe Samsung and Apple displays and praise them like God created them,,LOL lole
79. tedkord (Posts: 4949; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Displaymate uses state of the art equipment to test the displays, they don't just look at them. Their reviews are the real deal.
2. drunkenjay (Posts: 72; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
htc and sony fanboys will have a hard time commenting on this.
some will say Samsung sucks and some will say its still plastic.
Grow up guys. most of you are over 25+, Even if im getting xperia z2 doesnt mean i bash other companies for no reason. If u hate it, dont buy it.
8. maccess (Posts: 629; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
It's really hard to find a person like you honestly in this site.. +1
9. jo_Ny (Posts: 27; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Hard time? LOL why? DisplayMate didnt test either Z2 or M8 displays... or even LG G2 for that matter... they are saying SGS5 has the best display THEY EVER TESTED. They are mostly comparing with the previous amoled generations... so dont get too excited samsung fanboy ;)
53. jo_Ny (Posts: 27; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
Fanboy of who? Sony? HTC? LG? I wrote about all of them in my post. Another useless trashtalker... It's just funny to me how Samsung fanboys get all wet with these type of news... talk about butthurt! ;)
14. kryme (Posts: 141; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
u seriously think they didnt test the m8 or the z2.... its out of all the phone they tested the s5 was the best.... someone had to be the best.... and being the best doesnt mean its perfect its just better than wat ever is out there at the moment but they r far away from being perfect... the note4 will be better than the s5
52. jo_Ny (Posts: 27; Member since: 05 Sep 2012)
lol of course they didn't test the others! If they tested they would talk about them and compare them. Just like they did in their previous tests. Check out their mobile tests page where they have all the tests they've made.
57. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1583; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
They actually haven't tested any other 2014 models, according to their site. I saw this story earlier on another site, went to DisplayMate's site, and besides the S5, the most current phones tested are the HTC One, Sony Xperia Z, Huawei Ascend D2, and the Note 3. I'm not saying they will beat the S5, but until all results are in, it's not the best smartphone display, it's only the best they have tested so far.
And no need to reply to me with the "butthurt fanboy" BS. I don't care who wins, I just think people should have all the facts in before making claims.
43. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3033; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
The M8 uses the EXACT same display found on HTC One. It isn't bad at all, but clearly Samsung has made some huge improvements this time around. Get over it kiddo!
50. AliNSiddiqui (Posts: 380; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
Its not the same display, please do some research.
59. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3033; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
From what I heard, it's the same Super LCD3 display. But of course that doesn't change the fact that it's still not better. lol
83. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1583; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
They haven't tested the 2014 model. And even if it is the same component, they could've also calibrated it better than they had the 2013 model. Again, I'm not saying they have or that if they did it will beat the S5. I'm saying until it's been tested by DisplayMate, no one can say for sure who's is the best display.
Everyone's looking at this like it's a done deal, but all of the data isn't in yet. That's no different than saying one OS is the best, when you've only tried that one. Only when all of this year's models have been tested can we conclusively say who has the best display. Maybe it will still be the S5, maybe it won't. But let's get all the facts in before making that determination.
66. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Hey butthurt, no one cares about your sony or htc. Market Share Loves Butthurts.
81. tedkord (Posts: 4949; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Well, they're also testing against the iPhone.
84. Reality_Check (Posts: 275; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
I really can't understand the point of your comment because they have neither tested the HTC One M8 nor the Sony Xperia Z2. Their last tests conducted on these manufacturer's products are the HTC One and Sony Xperia Z. Sure the Samsung Galaxy S5's display is great but that doesn't mean it's the best display out there. It just means it's the best display they have ever tested. Now, if you start calling me a fanboy or a butthurt something, I can deduce the level of intelligence you must possess.
89. sbw44 (Posts: 400; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
So just because they mentioned this now its all of a sudden the best? You can get upset as much as you like but the truth is it still has one of the ugliest designs and don't even talk about the cheap plastic!
Nokia,Sony and HTC makes the most beautiful and durable phones out there where Samsung goes for quick cheap designs because they know they are the new Apple and that there a millions of mindless worshippers that will buy their crap!
3. fzacek (Posts: 1898; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I don't know much about it, but I hope that they have also 100% fixed the burn-in issues with their AMOLED display.
44. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3033; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
I keep hearing these claims of Burn In Issues but yet I have never experienced one.
I had the Epic, The Epic Touch, The SGS3 both on AT&T and Virgin Mobile, and the Note 2. I have never experienced once a burn in on any of the displays.
55. Awalker (Posts: 440; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
I've have the S3 and S4 and never experienced burn-in. I think it depends on how often you're on your phone.
58. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3033; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
If that's true then I def should have experienced this on all my devices. I am on my cell phone 24/7 lol, youtube, games, web browsing, I use my cell phone for everything.
82. tedkord (Posts: 4949; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
You get burn in by leaving the same image on the display for a long time. If you don't, you'll be fine. I've had several AMOLED displays with zero burn in.
85. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1583; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
The S3 I had last year has serious burn in after less than a year (along the right side, it's where the status bar would be in landscape). I tried the apps that are supposed to fix it, but it was too far gone. My Maxx started the same thing, but luckily I caught it in time. Now I make sure to switch it up to prevent that.
5. Johnmark (Posts: 6; Member since: 08 Jan 2013)
what is new with cheapo samsung? All sh**p hallelujah!
67. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Cheapo samsung sells 10 times as much as your wannabe brand. I wonder why good htc awesome z-f@rt and amazing nokia cant breathe :'( life is hard. Get over it butthurt.
90. sbw44 (Posts: 400; Member since: 04 Dec 2012)
yeah they sell millions thanks to millions of brainless idiots like you!
I would rather have a phone that I really like and that looks and feels different than to have the same phone that millions of mindless fans has!
100. christophersalse (Posts: 98; Member since: 19 Jan 2014)
You haters are a sad bunch. I love how you have to call Samsung's customers brainless idiots as if phone preferences determined intelligence.
102. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Oh that hurts you? :( butthurt is hurting :( all your wannabe brands .WISH THEY COULD BE SAMSUNG. Life is hard.. specially at the bottom of the food chain :)
7. xsoft7 (Posts: 14; Member since: 12 Dec 2013)
just remove the UI!!! hate the worst and laggy UI (touchwiz) ever built
12. maccess (Posts: 629; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
So you've tried the new touchwiz on the s5??
68. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Ive used it for four years, never lagged. What do you use? Samsung galaxy young? Or what?