Apple iPhone sales surpass human reproduction in the fourth quarter
Actually, the daily rates cited on the tweet are a little off. Based on stats from Apple and Wolfram Alpha, the number of Apple iPhones sold daily during the fourth calendar quarter was 377,551 which still outnumbers the 371,124 average daily birthrate. There is no denying that many Apple iPhone users treat their handset as though it were a child.
In at least one way, raising a baby is like owning an iPhone. You must teach both to take their first byte.
In Q4, more Apple iPhones were sold per day than live births on Earth
1. superguy (Posts: 271; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Wasn't Google claiming they were activating 350k+ Android phones per day? Come on PA, if you're going to mention the one with a stat like this, you should at least mention the other.
19. xoutrageousx (Posts: 70; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
you said it right..."claiming"...claims and stats on paper are 2 different things there bud.
20. andro. (Posts: 1972; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Agreed. This PA article is yet another ridiculous apple article. There actually up to 900,000 android activations per day.
Hmmmm so that's 900,000 per day x about 90 days in a quarter period = 81,000,000. Surely there hasn't been 81,000,000 births in that same period so android sales have surely massively out numbered births
35. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
I love Apple...I really do. But even I'm getting tired of the massive amount of Apple stories. I come to PhoneArena to hear about both popular devices as well as obscure ones. But this site has literally turned into a lot of Apple and a slightly lesser amount of Android stories.
Maybe we just need to have conversations on the few other stories they post. If this is anything like television journalism, whatever gets the most response is what gets the most airtime. So maybe we need to change and start having 35 comments on a different topic.
36. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
Now that I think about it, other stories don't really get too much conversation going. I looked at the front page and if it's an Apple story, people flock to comment, whether it's good or bad. But the Android and phone posts have maybe 3 or 4 comments. The reason there are so many Apple stories is because both Apple haters and fanboys flock to it.
I kind of think that's funny in a way. People who hate Apple don't just ignore the story. In fact, they make it more popular by starting fights. And PhoneArena makes money because of how many views the adds on the page gets...Thanks
50. thinking (Posts: 130; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
And maybe they should have a like/dislike button on the stories just like they have on the comments? Now, is that a patentable idea?
53. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
yest but iPhone is a single device....and androids are many devices.
62. thinking (Posts: 130; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
Android is one OS running many devices, just like iOS, with their different releases..
3. remixfa (Posts: 14191; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Yet android activations are still higher. Why is it some odd comparison when ios is involved but not android? And let's be clear, it's not just "the one iphone", it's a total of ios devices.
38. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
so then there is no "one android phone" that sells more than babies
40. andro. (Posts: 1972; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
stepping back and looking at it theres only one company crude and controlling enough to have a statements circulating paying more attention and glory to its sales figures boasts and money gouging than that paid to the actual event of human life births
46. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
lol who wud that be? samsung? they seem to be making nasty commercials… dont see apple or rim or htc making things like that...
51. thinking (Posts: 130; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
Apple has quite a few nasty commercials comparing their "great" macs with the windows systems.
55. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
i wud not consider those "crude"... neither wud i really consider samsungs... so idk who the guy was refering to
43. remixfa (Posts: 14191; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
there is no "one iphone" that sells more than babies either, dumbnuts, there are 3 of them on sale right now. wow, u crazed ibots really have to get with the times and get new arguements.
45. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
did i say anywhere that there is one iphone that does? obviously u did not even bother to read my comment… i simply said there is not one android phone either… but then again anything anti-android seems to be "ibots" to u..
58. remixfa (Posts: 14191; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no, i read it quite clearly. your implying that "1 iphone" sells more than babies with your question about "1 android phone". Otherwise your quip is completely pointless. Well.. its pointless anyways, but still.
60. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
haha funny considering i was simply restating what u were saying, albeit not making android seem glorious--sorry... i think u read too much into my comment as i was simply saying that while there is not one iphone, there is not one android phone, as you were implying there was (quite falsely in fact)
57. remixfa (Posts: 14191; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
finding taco. think i might have a winner.
59. drahmad (Posts: 480; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
good, and those 3 devices outsold all android devices
8. Manideepreddy (Posts: 14; Member since: 29 Nov 2011)
The people who are talking about android sales are just mad.. iPhone is just one single phone and android platform has few thousands of models.. In that way of course android sales will be higher.. At least now you morons understand why PA only wrote about the iPhone sales..
9. WakaFlakaD (Posts: 374; Member since: 30 Apr 2011)
All I can say is that...iPhone changed human's life in a very drastic way these last 3-4 years. It is crazy that Apple can pull it off with this one name
15. quakan (Posts: 1224; Member since: 02 Mar 2011)
dont do it by platform, do it by manufacturer.
16. downphoenix (Posts: 2424; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
that's the apple point of view, they said this in the 80s and 90s about Microsoft
37. jcrally17 (Posts: 8; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Why? Microsoft proved 30 years ago, that hardware was 2nd to software. Currently Apple thinks they have the best software/platform and they buy who ever's hardware they think is the best, so its only fitting to compare Android vs iPhone.
52. thinking (Posts: 130; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
the report tales about apple iphone. so it's a combination of manufacturer and OS.
23. 530gemini (Posts: 2198; Member since: 09 Sep 2010)
Well a lot of you guys do seem upset :) I'm glad you're not :) Want a cake?
26. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1655; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
yes please, how about an ice cream sandwich cake? :)
24. audiblenarcotic (Posts: 110; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
How many different articles can PA post in one day about the same thing? For real.. if its a slow news day then let it be a slow news day. Quit regurgitating the same thing.
25. dorfoz (Posts: 139; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Good to know. But for each apple handset, there are 20 other android handsets. so obviously, we all know android will have more sales.
It's still upsetting that only 1 phone model out of the hundreds with android has ICS. Now that's disappointing!
Android = Great OS, but poor customer support.
27. krazdjokr26 (unregistered)
boy yall android users are FURIOUS! hahaha
why not just passover this article when you see the title? instead of expressing your disgust all day everyday? dont yall get tired of trying to prove a point about android devices? sheesh!!!
dont be a hater all ya life...lol
28. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1655; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
dont you get tired trying to prove a point about Apple devices, yikes.
dont be an iFan all your life yo :)
31. toystore (Posts: 16; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
This frk*ing part of apple advertisement campaign…
Totally worng.. bullshi…t
Check India’s population clock athttp://www.medindia.net/patien
Almost One birth per second = 60*60*60 = 216000/Hr * 24 = 5184000 per day
5.2 million per day (only India)
33. andro. (Posts: 1972; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
sssh don't stat facts like that,ifans won't like it and call you a hater! After all most prob believe the iphone is selling more than entire births worldwide on a daily basis.
The fact the android sold near to 81 million in the same period the iphone sold 37 million is irrelevant as the stats somehow prove to them that only apple have sold more than 'births'
32. toystore (Posts: 16; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
34. pongkie (Posts: 505; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
This is BS, author seems to be dumb enough to believe in statistics alone. travel to India or China or other poor nations not every births is recorded in a fancy hospital
41. knowledge (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Jan 2012)
Damn fandroids worst nightmare. Android losing in the only thing it was good at market share.
42. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1655; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
For someone with the name knowledge you don't have a lot of it. iPhones may be the top selling phone but Android is the top OS and still climbing maybe read up on it. If Apple had as many devices as there are running Android, this would be a different story, so no, this is not a "fandroids worst nightmare" the iPhone has been the top selling phone for a while, still doesn't make it the best :)
49. thinking (Posts: 130; Member since: 19 Jan 2012)
Shouldn't phone sales be compared with... phone sales?