64 bit octa-core BlackBerry model coming in 2015?
The BlackBerry "Ontario" will be part of the BlackBerry "O" series. The same quad-core Snapdragon 800 MSM8974 to be used in the "Ontario" will also find its way into the BlackBerry "W" series (featuring a physical QWERTY) and the BlackBerry "B" (all-touch) handsets.
If a quad-core 'Berry doesn't convince you that the Canadian manufacturer is still in it to win it, consider the latest rumor. According to multiple sources, BlackBerry plans on employing the MSM8994 SoC on a new high-end device in 2015. This chip, built using the 20nm process, includes a 64 bit octa-core 2.5GHz CPU, 4GB of RAM, an Adreno 430 GPU, and an integrated 4G LTE modem.
Combined with the right specs, it sounds like BlackBerry could have a monster on its hands next year. CEO John Chen just needs to make it through this year first.
source: N4BB, CNET
2. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
No one cares if you don't care.
14. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3523; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yep! I care, and would like to see BB come with something strong to give the market more competition... 2 typical options have become boring, and it's time for the average consumer to realize there's more to offer... Go BB!!!
25. easymomo (Posts: 89; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
They had teir chance, they kept selling overpriced phones with outdated specs. I'm not in the US or Canada, I couldn't do much with my phone supposed to be a smartphone.
Anyway, I sold my BlackBerry and now I have stopped waiting the way you do.
28. easymomo (Posts: 89; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
They are try to enter in a spec race but this won't save BlackBerry.
29. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
And why won't adding great specs help BlackBerry? You have proof saying it won't? And true, in the PAST, BlackBerry, lead by OTHERS, have made mistakes. They have new leadership now, and he is leading the company in the right direction. If you're going to judge a company solely by what they have done in the past, then HTC, Sony, and Motorola should be hugely profitable companies right now. But they are not. They are still reporting loses. And dude, if you had a BlackBerry and did not know how to use it as a SMARTPHONE, that's nobody's fault but your own.
32. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3523; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yeah, I can agree with that... Higher specifications don't necessarily translate to a better device, or user experience... That you're right about..
34. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3523; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Lol!...Well, I'm a happy WP fan, so I'm not necessarily waiting on anything.. I already have one of the best smartphones on the market... I just know that there's value in what BB can produce, and it would be nice to see BB fans get what they deserve..
But, I can understand what you mean by waiting... If BB isn't delivering then customers will go elsewhere.. Not arguing with that.. That's just business..
35. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Yes, that is just business. But the "Anti-BlackBerry Brigade" is assuming that Chen is going to make the same mistakes, and take on the same complacency, as others before him. CLEARLY, judging by his actions and the decisions that he has made thus far, he doing everything right for the company the three before him did not do. People on this site need to watch and wait, then make an INFORMED statement/observation on what Chen is doing, as opposed to the blind hate that they are spewing.
39. thetrueprodigy (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
Outdated Specs.....the specs of the Z10 are much better than the iPhone 5S ...it has NFC....Bigger Battery...Better PPI....wifi direct and miracast...expandable memory....faster processor...more ram.....removable battery.......and people still line up for iPhones even though specs are far lower....I have the Z30 and its an amazing phone to be honest. Out of the box let me tell you....Android...iOS ...WP and BB10....BB10 out of the box straight out will murder all of those platforms in terms of a TRUE Smartphones that doesn't rely on apps for every single thing.....BB Z30 with 10.2.1 ability to install android apps and has amazing battery life better reception...stereo speakers...amazing build quality...so maybe you dont care....but iOS is dropping..android is going up....BB10 will go up as well but it takes time...its a new platform and more and more I see more people with BB10 phones.
41. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Agreed +1000! I have a BlackBerry Z10 running 10.2.1 and it absolutely KILLS other smartphones running a different OS. Most of the people here on this site that down BB10 have yet to even use the device at all, let alone any length of time. BB10 is great and will only get better and better.
4. DigitalJedi_X2 (banned) (Posts: 346; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
If you don't care, why comment? C*ckme@t.
Looks like BB will have a MONSTER on its hands.
13. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3523; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
For the same reason some Android fans on here hate WP, but comment heavily on every single WP article... Lol!!
17. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
+1 to you, rodneyej1. Couldn't have said it better myself.
20. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7733; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You never gave him the +1 though lol...
22. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
It was a "hypothetical" +1. Lol! Seriously, it's there now.....
26. easymomo (Posts: 89; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
rodneyej1 ==> For the same reason some Android fans on here hate WP, but comment heavily on every single WP article... Lol!!
I am a former BlackBerry User :p
Just talking nonsense with false false assumptions.
30. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Yes, you are talking nonsense with false assumptions. Glad you admitted it.
33. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3523; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
That wasn't directed towards you... Just a statement....
36. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
Whether it was directed towards me or not, I'm still happy he admitted it.
42. easymomo (Posts: 89; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
I'm not hoppig you to be smart enough to understand so ...
3. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
This BlackBerry sounds like a BEAST!!!! Count me among the first to get one!!
23. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
If it's BlackBerry then it must be expensive no matter what the spec is be it high-end or the opposite.
31. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
You don't know if that will be true in this case. For instance, the low end BlackBerry that is going to be released will be priced, as such and much lower than previous low end BlackBerry's. Of that, I am certain.
5. apple4never (Posts: 934; Member since: 08 May 2013)
if they release it in 2014 they've got a winner
6. XperiaOptimusOne (unregistered)
BB has to go full throttle this year or this may be their last.
15. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3523; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yep!!!! I can't wait to see what they do... I hope they one up the Lumia line... MS needs some motivation to keep third place for the time being...
7. arenanew (Posts: 164; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
they want compare with desktop never even they 100 gb ram how photoediter , program edit in 4 inch mobile , first samsung fail then apple fail now bb will fail
24. apple4never (Posts: 934; Member since: 08 May 2013)
lol double what? last time i checked apple and samsung are some of the 2 most successful companies as of right now
11. jove39 (Posts: 1265; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Hmmm...MSM8994...only interesting thing in article (for me at least).
12. snowgator (Posts: 3199; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Said a dozen times: If you liked WebOS, you will like BB10. It is a fun, motion based OS. I like the Z10, think the Z30 is an amazingly well designed device. I have no idea what the future holds for BlackBerry. But I am impressed enough to cheer for them to succeed.
21. jellmoo (Posts: 652; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I just don't see the point... The current devices run amazingly smoothly. Unless they are looking to move more into desktop integration, I just don't see the benefit of entering the spec race. I'd rather see BB tighten up the Hub a bit, improve on battery life and work at having a better camera. More power isn't the issue with BB10 devices.
27. apple4never (Posts: 934; Member since: 08 May 2013)
so when someone is staring at lets say the s5 they can see that they both have similar processors. They may look at the BB and see its only say 1.7ghz and they'll think its slower than the say 2.15ghz S5
37. jellmoo (Posts: 652; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
With their move away from the consumer crowd and their enhanced focus on the enterprise and prosumer market, it seems a little on the strange side to get into a spec race. The enhanced specs don't actually give any tangible benefit, and BB can't really compete with a company like Samsung when it comes to being cost effective with specs like those.
40. thealphageek1 (banned) (Posts: 942; Member since: 02 Feb 2013)
They have over 3 billion in the bank and no debt. They will make money on the enterprise side of the business, which they are already doing.