If everyone is using protective cases, does smartphone design matter?

Join the discussion
• 1mo ago

No, the design doesn't matter at all. Except for the display which is not covered in all sorts of crap.

I don't buy a SAMSUNG GALAXY S24ULTRA TITANIUM VIOLET for then to wrap a cheap silicone cover on or any other cover for that matter. I don't carry a purse either, so my phone is as naked as possible. Not even a screenprotector. A screenprotector gets a lot of scratches, the screen not at all even if you have it in the same pocket as the keys.

The S24ULTRA is made of materials strong enough to withstand all that 25 will be the game

• 1mo ago

For me, it doesn't matter.. Ive been saying it for awhile, I don't see why they keep putting out so many colors when 99% of users have them in a case..Black or white. I just had to check my color. 😂 You don't see it. Don't get me wrong, some of the colors are fantastic, but..... Cases.. I dont purchase off of color. I use Samsung,, we all know the style they all look the same, some bigger, (please stop Making them bigger, in don't need a note pad.) some smaller. Most people I talk with base off performance and we research before we buy. Yea I'm rambling, sorry. But yea, color doesn't matter. I don't care if I have a pink phone, I'd never know. 😂

• 1mo ago

For budget phones design matters partially. Cases offer color choice and body or screen protection.

For premium phones the cases should matter only for phone body color or decoration with patterns. The body and screen materials ought not to require that protection be provided by the cases.

For BOTH types, however, the camera lens cluster may well require protection from dirt and damage between photo or video sessions. For this reason a case with a sliding lens cover might make sense.

• 1mo ago
↵ilia.t said:

For quite a while, smartphone design has been so predictable that now the biggest differentiator between different models is the shape of the camera bump on the back. On top of that, our big, bulky, and mostly slippery devices usually get out of their boxes, so they can quickly end up wrapped in a protective case. Eventually, all new phones look like any other phone - new or old.

Despite this, smartphone companies keep focusing on the aesthetics of their products. Of course, some consumers pay attention to this, and some brave souls even carry their fragile devices like they’re not a drop away from getting shattered. The vast majority of people are more sensible and not only use cases but also screen protectors, improving their devices’ durability and often the grip and handling. 

So, does design really matter that much? Do you really need a shiny frame and brightly colored back if you’re going to cover it anyways? Do you think using a case is mandatory? Is the presence of a logo on the back such a big deal for you? What do you think should change in smartphone designs?

I always use a protective case. Whenever I stop by my local service provider for a new sim card ( I like to stay up when new cards come out) I always hear complements about how pristine my cellphone is. I still have a Samsung Galaxy S7 that is in mint condition. Protective cases are a must.

• 3w ago

Some people do indeed care about phone protection, cases, screen protectors, and even as of late Mesh film dust covers and and charging port etc dust plugs.

I for one am junky for longevity of my electronics, particularly my phones, I pretty much all but get every major accessory/screen protector and phone case I can for the life and support of the device.

*While on the topic of users having their phones go "commando" or "stark Naked" without any protection, even a screen protector. Alot of user, and I mean ALOT. Do not take into account that devices, even cheap tier ones, are manufactured, released and shipped with what is call an "Oleophobic coating." this coating is very very important because it maintains water repellent, mitigate fingerprint residue, light abrasions and scratches, anti reflection from light sources, and other special properties.

It's also important to note that the" Oleophobic coating" is not permanent. It can and will wear out over time, with more frequent use, it can be slightly cared for with what's call "invisible liquid screen protector" but I really do think that that's just a placebo for money hungry companies. Screen protectors playa major part in the longevity of more than just the condition of the device, but the longevity and use of the screen itself, the main input of the device anyway. You go to resell your old smartphone, the one thing a buyer will look for is the condition of the screen first, and everything else second, we'll in some cases of course.

I have spoken.

• 3w agoedited
↵Moneywelder said:

I always use a protective case. Whenever I stop by my local service provider for a new sim card ( I like to stay up when new cards come out) I always hear complements about how pristine my cellphone is. I still have a Samsung Galaxy S7 that is in mint condition. Protective cases are a must.

You're awesome for that. Very rare to see others have such care for even older devices. 😤

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless