Debate: What’s more important: a bigger battery or wireless charging?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 7mo ago
↵Brewski said:

A wireless charging coil is less than 1mm in thickness. That is a separate issue, but they have been promoting thin phones as the gospel for a long time. Manufacturers could make the phone thicker with a bigger battery and still include wireless charging. Do not make us choose, this is a silly argument.

That's true; we can have both. We need to start lobbying for thicker phones, though...

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 7mo ago
↵tokuzumi said:

Battery life is more important than power replenishment method. Besides it's difficult to use your phone while it's on a wireless charger.

That's a valid point; I've never thought about that! And what's more, wireless charging is quite inefficient, a lot of energy is lost as heat.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 7mo ago
↵stferrari said:

With no disrespect meant, your question and the artical surrounding it is nonsensical. What truly would be gained by eliminating wireless charging? Maybe 30 min to an hour of run time (based on someone who burns through a 5000 ma battery in one day). The gain is negligible in the real world. Whether you like wireless charging or not, I just don't see the tradeoff. I have an S23U on which i have battery saver enabled (only charges to 85% max) and I get around 3 days to get to 25% before I recharge (wirelessly by the way). I have both a wireless fast charger and a 45 watt wired charger at my dedicated charging station (they are aways connected). I find no difference in effort to lug my phone into wireless than the wired connection. I always use my wireless for the phone because I usually use my wired charger for my Tab S8+(which takes much much longer to charge wirelessly) and they usually get charged at the same time (over night). So my ultimate humble opinion is keep the wireless charging as the gain in battery size by eliminating this feature would be negligible.

It's a conceptual debate; I get your points, but we see how Apple and Samsung boast half an hour or an hour of battery improvement as a huge thing between generations. I spoke with Asus back in the ZenFone 8-9 days, and they were pretty keen that removing the wireless charging system (or omitting it) saved 400–500 mAh of battery capacity.

On the other hand, the Zenfone 10 has wireless charging onboard and retains the same size and almost the same weight as the 9, so sometimes it's just snake oil, smoke, and mirrors. I've always been curious about wireless charging; it's just so slow that the only real application for me would be placing the phone on the charging mat when I go to sleep, but then again, why not plug the cable in instead?

• 7mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Wireless charging is not truly wireless, though :) You still deal with cables. A truly wireless charging system would be a photovoltaic solar cell on your phone, leaving it in the sun. I'm splitting hairs here and joking. I think new types of batteries would solve all the issues we have right now—solid state, graphene, or something else. Imagine 10 000mAh in the same size as modern Li-Ion batteries and charging in one minute; it's absolutely possible and has been done in labs, still away from mass production, though.

Yeah, graphene batteries will be a game changer. But it is going to be expensive in the beginning. Samsung is rumoured to use that pretty much every year the last half decade. Initially it'll probably be limited to expensive watches and then something else expensive, like their top of the line talbets or laptops. But it'll definitely be nice to have "instant charging" batteries taking up virtually no space at all.

• 7mo agoedited
↵MariyanSlavov said:

It's a conceptual debate; I get your points, but we see how Apple and Samsung boast half an hour or an hour of battery improvement as a huge thing between generations. I spoke with Asus back in the ZenFone 8-9 days, and they were pretty keen that removing the wireless charging system (or omitting it) saved 400–500 mAh of battery capacity.

On the other hand, the Zenfone 10 has wireless charging onboard and retains the same size and almost the same weight as the 9, so sometimes it's just snake oil, smoke, and mirrors. I've always been curious about wireless charging; it's just so slow that the only real application for me would be placing the phone on the charging mat when I go to sleep, but then again, why not plug the cable in instead?

Your points are well taken. What never ceases to amaze me is how easily it is for the vast majority of the consumer base to buy into the snake oil pitch. Maybe it's my over 3 decades of computer engineering experience (which equates to living in a world focused on logic and problem solving) that makes me aways look at the ones and zeros of every marketing pitch that i read/hear but that is how I role. There is a point of diminishing returns in all product design and it is marketing job to make a miniscule achievement seem like a life changing miracle. I don't fault you for broaching this subject, I am just amazed at how people react to it. While wireless charging is much slower than wired charging if you need a charge in a hurry, it is very useful for some applications like in my car where I can just lay my phone on my console and not worry about draining my battery while wirelessly connected to Android Auto.

• 7mo ago

All high end Smartphone need 6-7000mAh, Migh end 5000mAh And low end 4500mAh..

• 7mo ago

With Samsung I get both. So there is nothing to debate. The only people who need to debate, are the Apple fanatics, who don't get either.

One of the main reason iOS isn't allowed to multitask like Android

is because multitasking requires more power. Not more power of the SoC only,

but will use more battery power. Even though the iPhone has less hardware

inside vs a top tier Android, the battery continues to be almost 40% smaller in

many cases for a similar sized or in many cases the iPhone is actually larger

in size.

If the iPhone had a 500MaH battery, Apple wouldn't have to be so

aggressive with memory management. Their management of ram isn't better than

Android. After all, using one app at a time is good management. That shows

laziness and poor OS design.

Apple has to use stricter rules on their OS, because IOS has

direct hardware access similar to Windows. But Windows is running on basically

unlimited power, because you're gonna be plugged in most of the time. With

phone you can't do this.

This is why Android is a VM. A Virtual Machine usually only has

direct access to the CPU and RAM only. Applications you run on a VM are

sandboxed away from the hardware. When the VM needs more power or ram because

you are opening more apps, the VM will simply use the power it needs.

Games are the only apps on Android that on benchmarks appear to

suffer from not having direct hardware access. But visually if you run a game

side by side with an iOS device, the Android devices tend to be only a few

milliseconds behind. This shows how powerful Android devices really are and Apple

having the fastest SoC means nothing.

As far as wireless charging? Many Android devices support 10Watt

reverse wireless changing. That means when my watch or headphones need a quick

boost, my phone will charge them faster. Apple's most expensive phone only

supports 4.5Watt and that's using the cable. HOW LAME IS THAT!!!!

Apple now using USB-C gimped the power to reverse charge at

4.5watts. That is slower than their 5W charger they boxed with the iPhone for

over 10 years.

I don't use reverse or wireless charging often. One of the biggest

benefits I do get from it is when I travel, I take one charger. When I charge

my phone at night, I simply place my watch or headphones on the back of the

phone and they both are ready to go when I wake up. I do this with ONE CABLE

AND ONE BRICK. If you wanted to do the same with the iPhone, you have to get

the hockey-puck charger into the wall and then use another cable to hook up

your headphones to the charging port. You can't even charge your watch with the

iPhone at all...LOL

But yet you guys stick iPhone lingo in articles that have nothing

to do with Apple. See that is how small groups are. In order to be present,

they always have the biggest mouths, because without all the attention; no one

would pay attention to you at all.

• 7mo ago
↵panrt321 said:

All high end Smartphone need 6-7000mAh, Migh end 5000mAh And low end 4500mAh..

where you gonna fit a 7000Mah Battery? Why don't you make one. Since you see a need for it.

• 7mo ago
↵StanleyKubrick said:

My case of using wireless charging is due to the fragile nature of the charging port. Unless you are very careful to line up the cable you risk ... over time... of wearing out the charging port, and if it's soldered to the board then you will pay out the nose for a repair! I also use wired headphones and since it's hard to find a decent phone with a headphone jack this also ads to the wear-and-tear on the port. So even though I can easily go two days on one charge I like wireless.... but I lived without it for years and could do so again.

In either case I could also live with a fatter phone and a larger battery!

My Note 20 U is almost 4 years old. If you didnt need to charge the iPhone so much, you wouldnt have to wear out the port so fast. LOL

I can still plug in my phone to USB-C and old the phone up by the cable. It doesn't come off.

MicroUSB ports were fragile, because the cable used to flanges to help hold the cable in place. Once you where them out, the cable wouldn't hold tight anymore. USB-C doesn't have that problem.

Try to 1st, nit use cheap cables. If the cable you bought costs less than $15, then its cheap and that's your problem.

I went to a gas station and bought a charging/data USB cable for $20. It was better than the one boxed with my Galaxy.

• 7mo ago
↵StanleyKubrick said:

My case of using wireless charging is due to the fragile nature of the charging port. Unless you are very careful to line up the cable you risk ... over time... of wearing out the charging port, and if it's soldered to the board then you will pay out the nose for a repair! I also use wired headphones and since it's hard to find a decent phone with a headphone jack this also ads to the wear-and-tear on the port. So even though I can easily go two days on one charge I like wireless.... but I lived without it for years and could do so again.

In either case I could also live with a fatter phone and a larger battery!

the cable should wear out before the port does. But then again, I don't use an iPhone where the cables are cheap Chinese made flimsy cables.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless