Debate: What’s more important: a bigger battery or wireless charging?

Join the discussion
• 7mo ago

We definitely need bigger and most importantly longer lasting batteries over wireless charging ability...

• 7mo ago

…or easily removable battery or fixing USB port when it goes bad. Bigger battery helps in the first case as it may take longer before needing replacement and in the latter case, wireless charging is a boon.

• 7mo agoedited
↵MariyanSlavov said:

In my opinion, wireless charging is just being lazy... When it comes to phones, that is. Wearables are a different matter.

With no disrespect meant, your question and the artical surrounding it is nonsensical. What truly would be gained by eliminating wireless charging? Maybe 30 min to an hour of run time (based on someone who burns through a 5000 ma battery in one day). The gain is negligible in the real world. Whether you like wireless charging or not, I just don't see the tradeoff. I have an S23U on which i have battery saver enabled (only charges to 85% max) and I get around 3 days to get to 25% before I recharge (wirelessly by the way). I have both a wireless fast charger and a 45 watt wired charger at my dedicated charging station (they are aways connected). I find no difference in effort to lug my phone into wireless than the wired connection. I always use my wireless for the phone because I usually use my wired charger for my Tab S8+(which takes much much longer to charge wirelessly) and they usually get charged at the same time (over night). So my ultimate humble opinion is keep the wireless charging as the gain in battery size by eliminating this feature would be negligible.

• 7mo ago

it depends, im all for both ,if they incorparated some sort of wireless pad public transport or even in your own cars, 4500mah battery is enough for me, but on the flip side if companies started making a new form of battery that could be smaller with more densely packed cells, both are important but both can and should improve aswell, just my stoner 2cents

• 7mo ago

My case of using wireless charging is due to the fragile nature of the charging port. Unless you are very careful to line up the cable you risk ... over time... of wearing out the charging port, and if it's soldered to the board then you will pay out the nose for a repair! I also use wired headphones and since it's hard to find a decent phone with a headphone jack this also ads to the wear-and-tear on the port. So even though I can easily go two days on one charge I like wireless.... but I lived without it for years and could do so again.

In either case I could also live with a fatter phone and a larger battery!

• 7mo ago
↵StanleyKubrick said:

My case of using wireless charging is due to the fragile nature of the charging port. Unless you are very careful to line up the cable you risk ... over time... of wearing out the charging port, and if it's soldered to the board then you will pay out the nose for a repair! I also use wired headphones and since it's hard to find a decent phone with a headphone jack this also ads to the wear-and-tear on the port. So even though I can easily go two days on one charge I like wireless.... but I lived without it for years and could do so again.

"Unless you are very careful to line up the cable you risk ... over time... "

How much time are we talking? I started using phones w/ a Type-C ports in 2016. Had the Note 8 from 2017-2019, the Note 10+ (still have it & still charge it) from 2019-2022 & have been using the S22 Ultra since March 2022. While I'm not reckless with plugging/unplugging my phones, I'm also not very careful, but I haven't had a single issue.

• 7mo ago
↵pimpin83z said:

"Unless you are very careful to line up the cable you risk ... over time... "

How much time are we talking? I started using phones w/ a Type-C ports in 2016. Had the Note 8 from 2017-2019, the Note 10+ (still have it & still charge it) from 2019-2022 & have been using the S22 Ultra since March 2022. While I'm not reckless with plugging/unplugging my phones, I'm also not very careful, but I haven't had a single issue.

I would agree. I have a phone from 2017 with type c that I still use from time to time. Port works fine. I'd be more concerned about what the extra heat from wireless would do to the battery. On top of the fact that wireless wastes electricity. I could vote for wireless charging, but only as a backup.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 7mo ago
↵StanleyKubrick said:

I think the USB-C ports are quite sturdy, and part of that is the ability to plug the cable either way. I remember microUSB getting wobbly after a couple of months and dozens of failed attempts to plug the cable wrong.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 7mo ago
↵TheRealDuckofDeath said:

10-15% longer battery life vs the convenience of not dealing with wires? I'd take wireless charging over that.

That said, the wireless charging bits on a phone maybe "takes away" a few mAh of battery size, not 500 mAh. So, if the question would be, "would I give up wireless charging to get a few minutes more battery life?", the answer is a resounding no.

Wireless charging is not truly wireless, though :) You still deal with cables. A truly wireless charging system would be a photovoltaic solar cell on your phone, leaving it in the sun. I'm splitting hairs here and joking. I think new types of batteries would solve all the issues we have right now—solid state, graphene, or something else. Imagine 10 000mAh in the same size as modern Li-Ion batteries and charging in one minute; it's absolutely possible and has been done in labs, still away from mass production, though.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 7mo ago
↵bananab said:

That's a rhetoric question. Big battery of course

I thought so too, but some people won't give up wireless charging that easily...

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless