Debate: What’s more important: a bigger battery or wireless charging?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 6mo ago

In my opinion, wireless charging is just being lazy... When it comes to phones, that is. Wearables are a different matter.

• 6mo ago

If by bigger battery you mean 2 day battery life I'll take that over wireless charging and fast charging.

My 14 Pro Max, which supports wireless charging but not fast charging still goes 2 days between charges compared to my S22 Ultra which supports both, but has to be charged every night.

• 6mo ago

Bigger battery.

• 6mo ago

Battery life is more important than power replenishment method. Besides it's difficult to use your phone while it's on a wireless charger.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 6mo ago
↵pimpin83z said:

If by bigger battery you mean 2 day battery life I'll take that over wireless charging and fast charging.

My 14 Pro Max, which supports wireless charging but not fast charging still goes 2 days between charges compared to my S22 Ultra which supports both, but has to be charged every night.

Thing is, battery life is highly dependent on usage, 2 days for you might be just a day for someone else. By bigger battery, I mean like 400–500 mAh bigger, some hard numbers in place of the wireless charging coils.

• 6mo ago

A wireless charging coil is less than 1mm in thickness. That is a separate issue, but they have been promoting thin phones as the gospel for a long time. Manufacturers could make the phone thicker with a bigger battery and still include wireless charging. Do not make us choose, this is a silly argument.

• 6mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Thing is, battery life is highly dependent on usage, 2 days for you might be just a day for someone else. By bigger battery, I mean like 400–500 mAh bigger, some hard numbers in place of the wireless charging coils.

By bigger battery, you should be championing 1,000-2,000mAh additional capacity. You can see 400-500mAh disparity just in different models/manufacturers.

• 6mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

The only things I don't do on my 14 Pro Max are:

Make/receive cellular calls, but FactTime cancels that out

Make memes because it's easier to do on my S22 Ultra

Get personal emails, but work emails/apps cancels that out

Web browsing, but social media browsing cancels that out

I use my 14 Pro Max just as much as my S22 Ultra. I might not do the exact same things on the devices, but the usage is pretty equal. The battery life on my Pro Max is simply better than that of my Ultra.

• 6mo ago

That's a rhetoric question. Big battery of course

• 6mo agoedited

10-15% longer battery life vs the convenience of not dealing with wires? I'd take wireless charging over that.

That said, the wireless charging bits on a phone maybe "takes away" a few mAh of battery size, not 500 mAh. So, if the question would be, "would I give up wireless charging to get a few minutes more battery life?", the answer is a resounding no.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless