Debate: Pretty phones vs durable phones

Join the discussion
• 11mo ago

Let's face it, pretty phones is normally not for tech people, but the majority of people wants a good looking phone and would rarely talk about durability since majority of them will use a case.

• 11mo ago
↵SkintaroD said:

Motorola was using some "alternative" materials in the 2010s - the rubbery back of the Atrix 2, the kevlar and nylon of the Droid Turbo (favorite), the fabric and even wood panels for the Z series. The stainless steel rear panel of my Nokia 6300 felt really premium back in the day too.

I personally would be fine with plastic. Give it a nice grippy texture like the grips on a Sig Sauer and we'd be in business.

And the MotoMaker even had some wooden options. Oh the G(w)ood ol' days.

• 11mo ago

I would love a S23 rugged version, but considering I get about the same by just adding a nillkin camshield case to the vanilla S23, I don't really care.

• 11mo ago

DURABLE!!!!

This is a no brainer! How many people actually use their $$$$$$$glass sandwich WITHOUT a PLASTIC case on it? Not very many I'm sure. In fact I don't think I've ever seen anyone NOT using a case of some sort! I'm sure there are a few but not many!

• 11mo ago
↵DFranch said:

I'd rather have a durable phone over pretty. I can accept a glass screen as I do prefer it to the old plastic screens which scratched easily. But there is no reason for glass on the back. Why put glass on the back only to have 90% of the population put a plastic case on it. Could it be to sell accessories?

Well, you can bet that whether or not there's any collusion between the phone makers and the case makers that if the phone makers made all their phones truly rugged that the case makers would go out of business in a heartbeat! So you do the math.

• 11mo ago

Same people here roasted Samsung for using plastic on the back of the s21 ?

It was both durable and pretty

• 11mo ago

Durable is better, but will often increase the price of the device by 50% or more over similarly spec'd not-so-durable devices. It is cheaper to buy a case to protect your "pretty" phone, than to actually buy a "durable" phone. Personally, I don't really do either... I buy what is cheap. They are both expensive approaches, whichever way you go, and I don't bother to buy cases anymore, either... disposable devices all the way!

• 11mo agoedited

Every pretty phone becomes durable with a right case. Anytime. But durable can't become pretty. Just no way. For me pretty phone no longer exists anyway since HTC is out of the market.

• 11mo ago

the iphone 13 pro max is quite durable, design is acceptable as well

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 11mo ago
↵propov said:

Every pretty phone becomes durable with a right case. Anytime. But durable can't become pretty. Just no way. For me pretty phone no longer exists anyway since HTC is out of the market.

What about LG? I think there were some really chic models in that company's range.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless