Debate: Pretty phones vs durable phones

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo ago

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say. Personally, I don't pay much attention to how phones look; I need them to be durable. And they're simply not. Frustrating. That brings up phone cases once again...

• 10mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, they say. Personally, I don't pay much attention to how phones look; I need them to be durable. And they're simply not. Frustrating. That brings up phone cases once again...

I'd rather have a durable phone over pretty. I can accept a glass screen as I do prefer it to the old plastic screens which scratched easily. But there is no reason for glass on the back. Why put glass on the back only to have 90% of the population put a plastic case on it. Could it be to sell accessories?

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo ago
↵DFranch said:

I'd rather have a durable phone over pretty. I can accept a glass screen as I do prefer it to the old plastic screens which scratched easily. But there is no reason for glass on the back. Why put glass on the back only to have 90% of the population put a plastic case on it. Could it be to sell accessories?

I think the accessory angle is just a consequence, not a cause or conspiracy. Still, manufacturers are willing to keep doing the glass sandwich thing over and over again...

• 10mo ago

I am a veteran Sxx Ultra user. Pretty has never entered into my buying equation. I would love for the Ultra line to come with a titanium body but not at the expense of wireless charging and degraded signal (cellular, WIFI and/or Bluetooth) issues. Maybe we need a new Ultra rugged ceramic like material that has titainium like ruggedness with EMF transparency. Yes I am a SciFi buff?

• 10mo agoedited

I believe it all comes down to what you're more interested in.

Such as, I love the look of the Moto G Stylus 5G emerald back plate, but I love the durability of a metal backplate.

Potentially, one could produce a durable phone that looks good via hydro-dipping metal plates instead of painting/colored adhesive.

• 10mo agoedited

Motorola was using some "alternative" materials in the 2010s - the rubbery back of the Atrix 2, the kevlar and nylon of the Droid Turbo (favorite), the fabric and even wood panels for the Z series. The stainless steel rear panel of my Nokia 6300 felt really premium back in the day too.

I personally would be fine with plastic. Give it a nice grippy texture like the grips on a Sig Sauer and we'd be in business.

• 10mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

I guess I'm the only one who liked when Motorola & Apple made these joints.

https://ibb.co/wdD2BNj

• 10mo ago
↵SkintaroD said:

Motorola was using some "alternative" materials in the 2010s - the rubbery back of the Atrix 2, the kevlar and nylon of the Droid Turbo (favorite), the fabric and even wood panels for the Z series. The stainless steel rear panel of my Nokia 6300 felt really premium back in the day too.

I personally would be fine with plastic. Give it a nice grippy texture like the grips on a Sig Sauer and we'd be in business.

I can't see an iPhone with a Pachmyr case ? I sure do miss my P226.

• 10mo ago

I think practical is more important to me than pretty or durable. I had never used a case on a phone until I got the Sony XZ3 and it was only because a case helped find the fingerprint scanner. Easily the worst placement for an FPS in history until the Note 8 said "hold my beer". Nowadays these slick glass bars of soap make it almost mandatory.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo ago
↵SkintaroD said:

Motorola did it again (well, Lenovo) with the ThinkPhone and its kevlar back. It's amazing and would look sick on an iPhone, for example.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless