Debate: Do we still need а headphone jack on our phones?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo ago

I was a firm supporter of the headphone jack for many years, but lately I've been using it less and less often... Of course, it's better to have it and not need it than vice versa... Wireless headphones have one huge issue for me - battery life. Another gadget to charge and think about...

• 10mo ago

Nope. I hate wires.

• 10mo ago

No. If you are still hell bent on wired headphones, the USB-C does the same job.

• 10mo ago

It's definitely not needed IMO.

The only times I notice any issue with wireless earbuds is when I do a screen recording to make a meme & notice a delay in the audio. Nothing re-recording the clip w/o Bluetooth on can't can fix.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo ago
↵stferrari said:

No. If you are still hell bent on wired headphones, the USB-C does the same job.

You mean using a USB-C to 3.5mm dongle?

• 10mo ago

Nah Bluetooth is the best, batterylife is really good and ANC is also very good.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo ago
↵Druvanti said:

Nah Bluetooth is the best, batterylife is really good and ANC is also very good.

So, Apple was right to remove the jack back in 2016? :) :) :)

• 10mo ago

Depends on what for the phone is used. The wire connection for Audio still provides more sound range (lower bass frequencies, higher sample-rate and overall quality, no lag, etc). The same about the microphone or line in. The BT wireless gadgets needs to be charged. Instead many wired headphones or speakers can be used without battery. For using for multimedia, sound stream, sound rec, etc, it is nice to have 3.5 mm jack. That is argument why I use Sony phone, because the wire connection is necessary for me. However, I use the wireless connections ~ 50% of the time, too.

• 10mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

You mean using a USB-C to 3.5mm dongle?

No, I mean using wired headphone with a native USB-C connector. I have been using them for years. They are readily available from any retailer. However, if you are trying to use legacy headphones, yes but that's a choice not a necessity.

• 10mo ago

Looks like manufacturers have been successful at convincing us that we don't need them in order to sell more Bluetooth headphones.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless