Video shows pre-production model of either the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime or the Galaxy S5 Active
A thick seal around the side of the phone, which makes it thicker than the regular version, could be a hint that the phone on the video is the Galaxy S5 Active. While the regular version of the phone has IP67 certification, the Galaxy S5 Active is rumored to have IP68 certification which means that it can be submerged in up to 5 feet of water for as long as 60 minutes. Perhaps a tighter seal is required to hit that level of water proofing. The back cover is aluminum, and the phone came "out of the wrapper" with the Google Now launcher.
Check out this mystery by clicking on the video below.
Thanks for the tip!
UPDATE: A follow-up video from the same source revealed far too many inconsistencies. While the model number on the phone did show the SM-G906 belonging to the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime, the screen's resolution is only 1080 x 1920. In addition, the 480ppi reading would indicate a sub 5 inch screen. And the chip inside is the Snapdragon 800.
Conclusion? This is not the Samsung Galaxy S5 Prime, nor is it the Samsung Galaxy S5 Active.
1. doejon (Posts: 392; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
lol its just a aluminium cover -.- i have the same for my note 2 lol
4. vincelongman (Posts: 3121; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Agreed, you can get them quite cheap on ebay
I wonder if the sides are aluminium, or still plastic
11. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Well according to the video the sides are supposed to be aluminium as well.
33. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3270; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
How about we all stop speculating both and call it Galaxy S10 Practive???
34. akki20892 (Posts: 3810; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
18. hurrycanger (Posts: 1536; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
What if it's the aluminum cover that is in pre-production? lol
The shipping package doesn't look like it's used for a phone, but for a case or back cover. I've bought a lot of cases and covers. xD
20. KillerKeyboard (Posts: 307; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
21. maherk (Posts: 2710; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Indeed. I can't believe phonearena fell into this stupid deceiving video, a little bit of logic and you ll immediately notice that it is nothing but a $6.99 aluminum battery door for the S5. I tried one of those when I had the Note 3, looked great, felt great, and not easy to scratch, does affect the network signal a littleee bit, but my only issue with it was the GPS. It locks it down and I am so reliant on Sygic and google maps, so it was a no for me on my S5.
28. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Looks like brushed aluminium
Nothing spectacular like Sapphire glass or Titanium like oppo7
29. RandomUsername (Posts: 808; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
What if the "Prime" is actually a S5 with this cover? Like Moto did with the G Forte?
2. LDav124 (Posts: 3; Member since: 17 May 2014)
Hopefully this is close to the final design of the Galaxy S5 "Prime". I might give in and get this instead of waiting for the Note 4.
5. nctx77 (Posts: 1273; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Just go to Amazon and buy the back for the S5. You Sammy (S)heep are way to easy LOL!
8. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I'm actually convinced.. Too bad this isn't the Prime
10. LDav124 (Posts: 3; Member since: 17 May 2014)
I am a current iPhone user looking to jump ship to the S5 or Note 4 or one of their variants.
25. Tizen007 (Posts: 575; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Go for Note 4 IT WILL BE A BEAST.
Especially with that 3 sided YOUM flexible display
7. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
If you've been waiting for worse cell reception and more radiation in your head, one of these aluminum covers should do the trick.
9. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I am waiting for the Note 4. Might even see a SD810 in it (fingers crossed).
40. T.Law (Posts: 405; Member since: 10 May 2014)
That's not the real deal. This guy is a fraud!
6. camera531 (Posts: 304; Member since: 30 Jun 2012)
You can't be serious. I'm surprised this article was written. It's an S5 with an aftermarket back cover. Amateur hour, Phone Arena!!!
12. fzacek (Posts: 2481; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
I doubt that you would be able to notice any increase in sharpness from a 5.1" 1080p screen to a 5.1" 1440p screen...
14. realjjj (Posts: 302; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
Hideos and it's 1080p and Snapdragon 800 so active not prime.
15. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Aftermarket back cover? this is silly.
16. SPASE (Posts: 185; Member since: 03 May 2013)
If it was a new variant, he could have gone into settings and about ! Ehh ?
17. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1822; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
haha that is the same s5 but the cover of the back is maybe aluminum and thick,.. lg G3 will knock this out!
22. refillable (Posts: 834; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
At least it's still better than the S5's original design.
37. amats69 (Posts: 1242; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Watching on the video its actually have the same design with the original s5 but with different material used on the body...
39. refillable (Posts: 834; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
It's still better. It's not designed with pointless band-aid like pimples.
24. Sid91 (unregistered)
I like many found the m8 beautiful to use but over the past few weeks i found the aluminium not to be practical, I never take it to the gym for music cuz im worried if i drop it the dent will annoy me until i get rid of it,
i use my s5 (With screen protector) for the gym without a case cuz if i drop it most likely nothing will happen to it and if it does I can swap its back for 15 dollars. also it tracks your steps in cardio plus it waterproof
So If you need beauty buy aluminium phones if practicality buy polycarbonate but not the iphone 5c the plastic scratches easily.
26. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I might suggest using an arm band for the phone, so it is secure and still relatively easy to access. With an arm band, the material of the phone won't matter all too much.
30. Sid91 (unregistered)
Thnx, I tried Slim-Fit Galaxy S5 Armband by belkin for both my htc (realTightFit)and s5, I later found out that it creates a suction in the screen and the band screen during use pulling off the screen protector, happened twice to me so after that stopped using it.
35. 0xFFFF (Posts: 3806; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
A lot of arm bands are terrible, that is true. For better quality, I would suggest looking at two brands: ArmPocket and TuneBelt.
27. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
I can't believe the creator of the video is so ignorant to notice that this is essentially a S5 with an aluminum back cover. If Samsung were to keep the fingerprint scanner, it would at least be flush with the surface, instead of being recessed into the phone...
38. HansP (Posts: 21; Member since: 16 Oct 2011)
The thing on the rear isn't a fingerprint scanner, it's a heart rate sensor.
31. Andrewtst (Posts: 521; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
This is just a normal S5 with cheap back case where you can get at TaoBao or eBay.
36. devonblue4u (Posts: 65; Member since: 12 Apr 2011)
You guys at Phonearena are supposed to be a little more tech savvy than this.....FAIL!