Steve Jobs lifelike action figure is canceled after “immense pressure” from Apple and Jobs family
However, if you’ve managed to place an order for it, bad news is apparently headed your way – well, it'll depend on how you view it. Specifically, it seems that the toy has been canned completely due to the “immense pressure” from both the Jobs family and Apple’s gun slinging lawyers. On one hand, the move by In Icons to manufacture the action figure was meant to be more of a tribute to the late Apple CEO than anything else, and more importantly, they didn’t think of it to be infringing on any copyright or trademark rights.
Of course, pressure from Apple’s never relenting legal team can cause any human being or company to change their actions – and that’s clearly what we’re seeing here. Meanwhile, the other side of it comes from the Jobs family because the company feels that it's the “heartfelt sensitivity to the feelings of the Jobs family” that helped them to make the decision on canceling the product line entirely.
Aside from making amends to the family, In Icons also expressed its apologies to anyone who placed orders for the toy – and of course, they’ll be issuing refunds. There’s no kidding that some people want to remember the legendary Steve Jobs in some way, but for now, the toy simply isn’t going to be it.
1. steviewonders (Posts: 20; Member since: 03 Nov 2009)
Trust Steve Jobs to have his face patented.
3. androidsbiggestfan (Posts: 76; Member since: 09 Aug 2011)
Because the system is broke, straight up!
9. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
well its kind of basic rights… if i were steve jobs family i wudnt want dolls of my family members to be sold either..
11. protozeloz (Posts: 5393; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
Specially when they are that creepy! They aren't just creepy creepy just akwardly creepy meh! I understand why they don't want them out
10. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you cant make a likeness of someone without their permission.
4. xiobnb (Posts: 74; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
they should cancel it !!! its way too freaky!!!
5. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
@ Xiobnb NO KIDDING! that is such a creepy doll. I'm glad they decided to cancel it; i didnt like steve jobs as a person but out of respect for their family i too wouldnt have wanted a freakish doll lol
good call on the cancel
6. JeffdaBeat (unregistered)
7. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Darn it, I was looking forward to having my very own Steve Jobs iVoodoo Doll; guess I'll have to use a Ken Doll, instead. Either way, anatomically, there probably wouldn't have been any difference.
8. denney (Posts: 98; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
I believe if this actually went to court they would have a case, seeing as you can't actually copywright a person. I'm under the impression the In Icons could not afford to shell out the amount it would cost for legal support against Apple, so they had to cave. It really is a shame.
12. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3095; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Who bets some of them get *stolen* and sold on ebay for thousands of dollars?
13. jemolian (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)
I guess Apple would probably sell it themselves for $299...
14. daniel_bargs (Posts: 325; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
what's so bad in being idolized to the point that they are going to live in the world using an action figure? isnt it so overwhelming if i can see people down there on earth wanting a piece of me. i feel proud i made a great dent in that universe.
15. bbblader (Posts: 588; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
steve jobs was cool but not $99 action figure cool
16. kensei (Posts: 7; Member since: 06 Mar 2011)
Seriously. Why. Why was this made in the first place.
17. ZayZay (Posts: 571; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
Who the eff would buy one of these? Jeez people are so stupid now a days! Useless crap!
18. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Regardless of what people are thinking of Apple - Steve Jobs i dead and his family has such a right. Please respect it.
20. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1705; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Now with 5 new action phrases including "You're holding it wrong" and "Charity is a waste of money"
*Batteries not included, iPhone sold separately