Sony hopes to release Firefox OS phone in 2014
expected to make its way on new phones invading the U.S. in 2014, according to Kovacs. A list of mobile operators planning on offering Firefox OS phones includes one U.S. carrier, Sprint. The complete list mentions America Movil, China Unicom, Deutsche Telekom, Etisalat, Hutchison Three Group, KDDI, KT, MegaFon, Qtel, SingTel, Smart, Sprint, Telecom Italia Group, Telefonica, Telenor, TMN and VimpelCom.
If Sony does produce a Firefox OS model, don't expect something along the lines of the Sony Xperia Z. The OS is being used in low to mid-range models, keeping the phones affordable for those in emerging markets.
1. Suster.Ngesot posted on 26 Feb 2013, 04:23 10 4
Sony do a FireFoxOS, but NOT WP...
It's really a bitch slap to Microsoft and Baldy Balmer.
7. jsdechavez posted on 26 Feb 2013, 05:41 0 0
Sony should make WP instead. Much like they did with the iconic X1 and X2, the original Xperia.
17. SonyXperiaNexus posted on 26 Feb 2013, 07:51 0 0
maybe they are not doing it coz microsoft is trying to promote xbox through wp and sony is doing the same thing with the playstation certification.
19. InspectorGadget80 posted on 26 Feb 2013, 09:09 0 0
Yes youre right cause sony dont see any1 buyn any windows phone latley not too mention their greedy law suits against android. Sony is a company whos open up too other os that will drive sales.
23. ZeroCide posted on 27 Feb 2013, 19:50 0 0
This is till 2014. There could be a few windows phones in the works between now and then.
2. tusshharish posted on 26 Feb 2013, 04:56 2 0
sony put firefox os in tipo dual and sell it ....lol...
3. emadshiny posted on 26 Feb 2013, 05:09 1 0
i think Sony must go for Ubuntu.
Ubuntu has more potential to threat Android.
4. wendygarett (limited) 6 days ago posted on 26 Feb 2013, 05:17 0 2
Keywords: thread android, thats why sony refuses to flamebait his partner :)
9. emadshiny posted on 26 Feb 2013, 05:44 0 0
but they must choose an OS which has more capabilities in order to attract the customer, and i think Ubuntu has more potential to do so.
5. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 26 Feb 2013, 05:39 0 7
It will be overpriced as usual
10. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 26 Feb 2013, 05:55 1 7
SONY is so yesterday....get over it fanboy...their last great product ( innovative) was the Playstation 1....has been irrelevant since....other than walkmans and discmans, they never really made something worthwhile
11. emadshiny posted on 26 Feb 2013, 06:02 2 0
so would you please introduce the most innovative brand of the world?
there is no doubt that Sony is among the pioneers of digital world and will remain as before.
butthurt fanboys like you can't accept it.
12. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 26 Feb 2013, 06:12 0 4
They pioneered things that was great in the 80'90's....but since we are talking about NOW, I guess you argument is completely pointless since Sony is just playing catch up for awhile now.....no matter what they do, people will just shy away due to their incompetitive pricing
13. tahnik posted on 26 Feb 2013, 06:24 1 1
Well,Sony was at a stack when tsunami hit them and they lost 6 factories in Japan....
That was the only chance of Samsung and they used the chance very well...
14. emadshiny posted on 26 Feb 2013, 06:27 0 0
so you didn't name the pioneer at the present time.
21. InspectorGadget80 posted on 26 Feb 2013, 12:21 1 0
and youre blind as usual. SONY have made some low budget phones in case u don't even see it
15. FireDragon posted on 26 Feb 2013, 06:45 0 0
Sony really really need to have an OS complete in their own control so they will be able to put their own magic in it like UIQ.
Personally I wanted to them take on with webOS or better MeeGo, but let see how much FireFox OS will allow them to go. I am little excited about it even though an year of wait is a long long wait.
16. rusticguy posted on 26 Feb 2013, 07:04 0 0
Oh but didn't Sony mention that they would only be looking at High End phone customers?
20. Jyakotu posted on 26 Feb 2013, 11:29 0 0
I love Sony as a company, in fact they're my favorite electronics company. However, I think it's ironic how they're looking into making a Firefox OS phone, but won't even consider making a Windows Phone. IMO, Windows Phone has more potential to take off. I see Firefox OS as a very niche OS, much like webOS was (admit it, it was a niche OS and very few people owned a Palm Pre/Pixi). But to each their own. Maybe they'll be the first to make a high end Firefox OS phone.
22. scsa852k posted on 26 Feb 2013, 21:24 0 0
PS vs. XBOX feud has led Sony to overlook Windows OS!