Sony has a new goal: become world's third phone maker after Samsung and Apple by going downmarket
1. emadshiny (Posts: 763; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
the first thing to do to reach their goal is to bring competitive feature phones and mid-range ones. it will be difficult to do so only with high end devices.
23. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1042; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Thats an uninspiring goal if ever I saw one....
24. Dastrix (Posts: 392; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
I don't know if it's just me, but I honestly prefer Sony out of all the Androids because of its 'premium' factor. All the best Sony!
26. oister85 (Posts: 339; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
remember is not all about the premium material, if you don't have the good software don't even try.
2. jsdechavez (Posts: 651; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Thank you, Sony. But not with Firefox OS please..
20. SuperNexus (Posts: 110; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
We still don't know about WEB OS and it will take time(atleast 2yrs)........so no comment on that.
i want to see Sony on there target position before that.
3. tiara6918 (Posts: 1106; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
It's not gonna be easy though due to stiff competition, sony
4. pyradark (Posts: 624; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
hmmm... still not impress with firefox, but im welcoming cheapo sony...
how about symbian??
6. emadshiny (Posts: 763; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
are you kidding?
symbian is already dead but i don't like firefox as well.
i think the best choice for Sony is Ubuntu.
5. AshishRomea (Posts: 136; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
they can easily become one , may soon cross the 15m phones a quarter soon !
7. shuaibhere (Posts: 593; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
It I'll be little hard...because the country with world's largest population will backup their company....
8. DerryAhmad (Posts: 153; Member since: 05 May 2012)
Focusing on 'only' High End model is going to be difficult. Only Apple survived that strategy. Samsung dominate the market share by flooding the market with affordable and mid-tier Android phones.
Only after Galaxy S-II, and to some extent the Galaxy Nexus, their high end phones begins to be noticed by general market.
Samsung handsets also seems to be the most 'value' ones - not focusing on premium material but on the most advanced internal hardware-supported with great inhouse software/apps.
I love Sony phones. Even their budget phones (eg. Typo) looks great! And it's one of the best selling low end Android here.
I do hope they don't leave the budget phones soon. Focus on great design across their line added with the Dust and Water Resistant ability - They might have the chance to regain their former glory since the SE days.
15. GALAXY-STORM (Posts: 321; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Its simple. Sony has to choose either apple's or samsungs marketing strategy.
9. clark (Posts: 51; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
Aside from Samsung, I do believe that Sony has a potential too. I hope they can also as agressive as what Samsung did today. I can see Sony reigning in the near future just like Samsung today. I believe in you Sony. Go reach the top.
10. ktime (Posts: 7; Member since: 11 Dec 2012)
Two years ago they had an ambition to become No.1 Android tablet maker. Where are they now? The barely 1 year old Tablet S is abandoned, same goes to Xperia Tablet S. The fate of Xperia Tablet Z is yet to be seen. They are not pulling enough resources to support their own products. What they did in these 2 years is pushing more and more model but less and less support. I dont think they can make it
11. Vangmay_j (Posts: 5; Member since: 07 Apr 2012)
Just give me a cheap Sony tablet and im good to go
13. rusticguy (Posts: 2701; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
For that they have to first concentrate on timely S/W updates more like Samsung.
14. PhoenixWright (Posts: 99; Member since: 11 Feb 2013)
I'm expecting a waterproof phone [yes, I want a waterproof phone and not just a water resistant one].
16. ryq24 (Posts: 421; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
That would be very hard to achieve! Sony prices are almost always more expensive than others. And that is the reason cheap Chinese phone makers like hwawei, zte, Lenovo are doing very well!
17. lovefist (unregistered)
true. more expensive than competition and at the same time less hardware. im talking about xperia E and xperia J.
sony does know how to build top notch design but not so good in hardware. always a step behind.
18. digitalpro (unregistered)
Tough race but plzz sony release the promised updates for xperia s & so bcoz people are sick waiting for it !!
19. weedl (Posts: 43; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
sony you should made a phone with dual core mediatek proc for $150 for emerging markets it will sold like cakes..
21. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5177; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Wish the best of luck too sony. All they need too do is too put their phones on every single carrier if they want dominance &the sales. Pkus release the xperia z already sony
22. vijaysivakula (Posts: 113; Member since: 17 Aug 2011)
Get some WebOS, Sony and you would be able to make some wonderful handsets. There are literally millions of Palm / WebOS fans who would gladly buy a well made handset.
25. hiBreed (Posts: 90; Member since: 29 May 2012)
i love u sony, but please dont go with firefox os, it doesnt look like a market winner. Check out nokia's smarter phone os heck s40 looks better than firefox os and is also a cheaper alternative, just check nokia's specs they are the most minimum u can find, and they even get reviewed by sites like this and gsmarena
27. GeekMovement (Posts: 1135; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
What Sony needs to do is bring their flagship devices to as many carriers as they can reach. Not exclusive to AT&T especially here in the US.