Sony Xperia Z5: overheating Snapdragon 810 still an issue?
1. ThePython (Posts: 887; Member since: 08 May 2013)
Considering they were demo units and were under intensive use while (possibly) being charged, I'd be surprised if they didn't overheat.
23. MINDoSOUL (Posts: 149; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
I love Sony, but for a 700+ dollars device and even if it using the SD810 simply shutting down the app is not acceptable no matter what excuse you guys give. What a disappointment!, i would rather pay for a phone that has lower specifications but gives me a consistent performance especially when i am paying that much.
25. Kruze (Posts: 1285; Member since: 30 Dec 2014)
Still can't change the fact that they were demo units and they were under intensive use by the people.
Fact is not an excuse.
38. MINDoSOUL (Posts: 149; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
The fact is no matter whether it's a demo or not, it will still shut down even after release of the final version. what i am trying to say whether it is Sony or any company for that matter there should be no heat issue in the beginning. Sure you can blame the SD810 but who forced Sony to put it in, they could have used another processor which doesn't cause the issue and highlight the fact that no matter how long you use your phone the heat issue is not a problem. We shouldn't defend any brand if they are not meeting the consumer expectations and at the same time charging them big time.
67. RangoX (Posts: 53; Member since: 20 Feb 2015)
They can't even tweak and trick the demo unit to avoid overheating... That's bad.
29. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Then dont get a S6 its can only do 5 min of 4k ( limited to prevent overheating )
After 2-3 time 5 min its do the same thing and shut down the camera lol.
At least the Z5 can do 10 min for 2-3 time before overheating.
See how some ppl can be moronic to the point of beleiving all propaganda?
44. GTNavy (Posts: 44; Member since: 13 Oct 2014)
The S6 can only do limited 4k because of its limited storage. If you did more than 10 min. you would run out of memory. It's the reason I will never buy a phone without expandable storage.
56. alex3run (Posts: 713; Member since: 18 May 2014)
Yu must have GS6's screenshots? People are waiting.
33. DoggyDangerous (Posts: 857; Member since: 28 Aug 2015)
Sony fans are getting furious that why PA has shown Z5 over heating? they dont want to hear anything against sony. Relax sony boys, its 810 which is over heating not the sony. SD810 is culprit, Sony is a great company and great phones. Nothing is against sony. PA is making you aware about one possible issue before buying. PA is doing good to you, plz just dont go nutts out of fan boyism.
61. techbuttcheex (Posts: 58; Member since: 25 Jul 2015)
This is the pitfall of relying on a third party chip vendor. Apple and Samsung have inhouse ARM chips, so they can eschew Qualcomm's offerings. I wish Sony could go with one of the awesome Nvidia chips, or perhaps even a Atom.
73. BaffledTruffle (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Dec 2013)
Nah. I tested a demo Galaxy S6 Edge unit on a Carrier Store before. It was on the "a little too warm" level to "this is kinda hot" level. Phones will heat up under really extensive use by lots of people that don't even "kill" the apps after they test the device.
46. rms.max (Posts: 95; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
So you are saying Z5 is the only phone which " has a demo unit and were under intensive use while (possibly) being charged " . The truth is SD810 already brought down htc lg pssibly sony & ms too.What a shame for Qualcomm.basically SD fu##ing 810 did a great favour to samsung and apple.Either qualcomm is a disgraceful dumb-ass or it's a inside job to bringing down those flagships .
72. majidfa (Posts: 5; Member since: 05 Sep 2015)
Friends one question , why are three software keys in horizontal situation ?
but phone is portrait situation.
In my opinion this photo is fake.
2. carlemillward (unregistered)
Considering people were recording 4K for 10 minutes, it is to be expected.
3. ander204 (Posts: 20; Member since: 27 Feb 2015)
There is 2 kind of Z5 at IFA 2015? Why is PA's unit is so bad comparing to the one in video?
The Btekt video shows a wooping 10 minutes of 4K video!
9. manojmcn (Posts: 533; Member since: 16 Jul 2015)
I think it depends on how much stress has been put on the processor. It may be that after the Btekt video, every other guy rushed to test 4K one after the other and managed to get it overheated.
10. itsjustJOH (Posts: 232; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
PA is using a demo unit in the demo area that was probably used a lot of times by other people and is also probably being repeatedly charged when not in use, while Btekt was given a device and he was the only one who has used it.
12. ferretsama (Posts: 32; Member since: 27 Nov 2014)
this. with so many tech journalists trying out the same device in the demo area, it's not surprising that the phone overheats. PA is making a big deal out of this one.
16. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
PA is sold to Apple and Samsung what you expect?
57. alex3run (Posts: 713; Member since: 18 May 2014)
"Samsung or Apple fails - don't buy this trash"
"Sony or HTC fails - PA is sold blah blah"
40. Xperia14 (Posts: 428; Member since: 01 Sep 2015)
I've heard that some demo units were still running on older software from june. It should be completely ok with the newer software.
50. thunderc8 (Posts: 90; Member since: 15 Dec 2014)
I bet the Z5 is the first demo unit that has been used by many people while charging at IFA,. The other devices are used every 2 hours so they can cool down...
What lame excuse by Sony fun boy's, the truth is Sony makes great devices but they got screwed by Qualcomm like every other OEM, it's the snap dragon that causes the hear so stop saying stupid excuses.
Why they use it? How about a deal with Qualcomm that if they use it and keep Qualcomm in game with the 810 they will get great discount for the 820 simple as that.
62. techbuttcheex (Posts: 58; Member since: 25 Jul 2015)
Z5 Premium likely has better heat sinks due to larger body.
4. senseiJ (Posts: 155; Member since: 02 May 2015)
This is surprising. A video from Btekt wherein he recorded 4k video for 10 minutes, as he said, didn't overheat. Sony is still probably smoothing things out -hopefully.
18. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
10 min of 4k video ok.
10 min of 4k video 20 time in a row not ok.
see my point here? I can take any phone thats do 4k video and put it on charge and keep on doing video its will do this same error.
We tested it in store here on note 5 and S6 edge both eventually overheated as well.
Anyway PA love to push this propaganda overheat s**t.
51. hamboza (Posts: 25; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
You're totally right. The Z5 in that btekt video on YouTube did better than my Z3.
I just retested my Z3, it wasn't on charge, and brightness at 65%, I got the message about closing the app if the device heats too much at 2minutes45seconds, and the app closed at 7 minutes.
5. Vihangel1306 (Posts: 6; Member since: 02 Sep 2015)
Im a sony lover had a de xperia z3 and for no reason it would still get hot right now im using the g2 and is warm i think all androids run warm
6. manojmcn (Posts: 533; Member since: 16 Jul 2015)
The phones on display during a big event is not the proper place to test heating issues. Especially every other journalist doing the tests one after another. Blame it on the initial failure of SD 810, but reputed magazines should do some scientific tests before rushing with such news. Why I say 810 specifically because if it was a Samsung event no one would bother to run tests purposefully to check the heat. By the way, I do agree Exynos 7420 is far superior to SD 810 and perform well under stress.
31. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Now for 4k.
3 5 min loop and its overheat and close camera app too.
54. Plutonium239 (Posts: 1048; Member since: 17 Mar 2015)
The Exynos 7420 has heating issues the same as the 810.
8. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 903; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
It's not a surprise, it's seems that Qualcomm doesn't know how to optimize big.LITTLE design.
20. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Samsung dosesn'n as well.. Its the 14 nm finfet thats do the difference.
Proof is we had return of S6 edge for overheating but not a single for HTC M9.
but Exynos or SD810 only time they overhead is 4k video.
So phone are just not ready for this.
30. 99nights (Posts: 1152; Member since: 10 Mar 2015)
M9 was underclocked to prevent overheating
32. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
M9 dont overheat at all even before they underclocked it.
By underclocking it it can now handle 10 min or more of 4k recording but thats its.
S6 cant handle more than 5 min of 4k after 3 time 5 min its overheat and close camera app.
48. Shocky (unregistered)
63. sesshomaru66 (Posts: 3; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
Quit trolling, you sound like a MORON. Your last sentence is run on fragment of SHIIIIITE.
49. Guaire (Posts: 517; Member since: 15 Oct 2014)
How many times you have to repeat it M9 isn't overheat. HTC underclocked it with a firmware update that's why it isn't overheats anymore.
Anandtech have tested it before and after update.
Also it isn't just about 14nm FinFET, Exynos 5433 which used in Note 4 manufactured 20nm just like SD810, they are pretty much close CPU wise.
Also there are reports about heating of big.LITTLE SD615, but not from comparable Mediatek ones.
59. alex3run (Posts: 713; Member since: 18 May 2014)
5433 handles well.
Qualcomm isn't able to make a competitive biglittle SoC.
11. finestgq1 (Posts: 24; Member since: 11 Sep 2014)
Over heating issue? No problem! This phone would be perfect for those cold winter. It can be great as a hand warmer. ;)
21. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Same go for the S6 edge.
There is a specific point in the back of the phone thats get so hot i am afraid its will burn the gel skin we put on it..
13. DaggettBeaver (Posts: 42; Member since: 05 Aug 2015)
Throttle that sucker down to the speed of a Z80 and it won't overheat.
22. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
No matter how you trottle it if you do 4k recording non stop its will fail sorry even the Exynos fail.
27. fyahking (Posts: 859; Member since: 28 Jan 2015)
What's trottle? Is that like trotting?lol
34. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Is thats all the arguments you have? if so just shut up your comment is useless.
60. alex3run (Posts: 713; Member since: 18 May 2014)
Ahah. No arguments from yu another than trying th make the people shut up.
Go away, troll. Everyone's laughing from your proofless and delusional comments.
64. Quicksword_Phantom (Posts: 30; Member since: 15 Jun 2015)
He's not throttling, he's trolling.
76. Shocky (unregistered)
Someone needs to throttle the troll.
26. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
Also S6 and S6 edge are limited to 5 min of 4k because after thats its overheat.
Z3+ can handle more than 6 min and limit is 10 min. So if its overheat after 5 min you really think its inferior? why S6 limit to 5 min? because its overheat as hell after 5 min.
Z5 can easily do 10 min of 4k but if you do it 20 time in a row well multiply... its unfair comparison.
See how all this propaganda is well made? and website like PA dont talk about this limitation on the S6.
55. sunjay140 (Posts: 118; Member since: 19 Mar 2015)
At least the camera doesn't stick out like your Note 5.
14. danielxxi (Posts: 183; Member since: 13 Feb 2013)
Are you serious PA? You test overheating Sony device when people try the same thing at the same time
35. phichart (Posts: 276; Member since: 03 May 2014)
Sony Z2 and Z3 are very overheating bro....
47. drifter77 (Posts: 203; Member since: 12 Jun 2015)
Exactly. I've been saying the same about Z3C with all its overheating issues.
43. medtxa (Posts: 1133; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
I dont think I ever heard phone apps closing because overheating exynos, mediatek, intel, not even the other Qualcomm chip except SD81p.
15. marorun (Posts: 3561; Member since: 30 Mar 2015)
If its only overheat when you do 4k video for 10 min on a hot day i so much dont give a s**t.
I had Samsung S6 edge user having same issue at the store i work.
17. skymitch89 (Posts: 1299; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
Well, the caption on the photo says that the demo device is a "prototype", so my thought is that it was probably built with an older version of the SD810.
19. dil2abu (Posts: 305; Member since: 09 Nov 2011)
Typical PA.. I am not surprised by this article..
24. yoosufmuneer (Posts: 1498; Member since: 14 Feb 2015)
I am just wondering about the Z5 Premium. Sony could have gone the SD 808 way. Awesome device exept for the processor :(