See what ICS will look like on the Droid RAZR
In general this seems to be the least intrusive version of MotoBlur yet. Motorola has added plenty of custom icons, and current Motorola users will recognize the theme on the dialer and call-in-progress page. As we suspected back in January, Motorola will be bringing some of their app-tray special sauce to the party, adding custom app groups within the launcher - although they otherwise have wisely gone with the stock app tray. The launcher also appears stock, albeit with custom dock icons. There is also a new camera app, and some fancy shenanigans going on with the lock screen.
Since the Droid RAZR and Droid RAZR MAXX are the same phones internally, we expect that owners of both will see this update around the same time. Hopefully the engineers at Motorola are hard at work squashing bugs for the release, but in the meantime here is a sneak preview of what to expect when Google's latest dollop of Android goodness winds up on Motorola's latest Droid.
Droid RAZR ICS Screen Grabs Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
10 great Android widgets you should try
09 Apr 2013, 08:08
Samsung Galaxy S4: 10 exclusive or little-known features review
05 Apr 2013, 07:17
Best Android phones to get this spring
17 Apr 2013, 09:48
5 smartphone apps banned by... Google
16 Apr 2013, 07:24
Samsung Galaxy S 4 hands-on
14 Mar 2013, 18:32
Google+ surpasses Twitter to take number 2 social network after Facebook
28 Jan 2013, 00:58
source: droidrzr via Droid-Life
1. Whateverman posted on 20 Feb 2012, 10:53 5 0
Not bad, but I wish they would have made a video instead.
7. SuperAndroidEvo posted on 20 Feb 2012, 11:41 1 0
I know what you mean. It’s always better to see the OS in motion as opposed to just plain old pictures.
27. Vadermando posted on 20 Feb 2012, 16:11 0 3
it is very good for slow conections like mine. i hope they keep using it in the future. thanks P.A.
3. taz89 posted on 20 Feb 2012, 11:13 3 1
very impressive so far the best skin that is very similar to stock ics
4. pooked posted on 20 Feb 2012, 11:16 5 0
Still looks kinda crowded and the settings menu with those icons looks so tacky!!!
19. PAPINYC (limited) 3 days ago posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:19 3 2
There's nothing crowded about it because of the massive screen.
If it had a 3.5" iScreen iWould have to agree with you.
Besides, when you hook up a DROID RAZR™ to an HD Widescreen TV nothing can ever be crowded since, HDMI FULLY STRETCHES and mirrors the phone's display to TV; something no other phone or iDud can do.
21. bigboy029 posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:39 3 1
Awesome. I bought the phone, and immediately went to best buy and picked up an nice HD TV. Now i just cary my phone AND my TV around in my briefcase so that I never feel crowded. -____-
24. PAPINYC (limited) 3 days ago posted on 20 Feb 2012, 13:46 2 0
Yes, and don't forget the HDMI cable; you can just tuck that in one of the four corners of your brief case.
40. bigboy029 posted on 21 Feb 2012, 02:51 1 0
ah yes. i forgot about that. thanks for reminding me pal.
5. imkyle posted on 20 Feb 2012, 11:27 5 0
This is how you implement you're customizations with ICS. Sammy pay attention and give us something good! :)
9. danwatson posted on 20 Feb 2012, 11:49 1 0
I'm not as worried about Sammy. HTC is usually who has a habit of making a completely new launcher with almost no similarities to stock. Sammy keeps some of the original.
17. imkyle posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:15 0 0
Agree with that. HTC makes nice phones. Their build quality is fantastic but their Sense over ICS will be interesting to see.
28. jroc74 posted on 20 Feb 2012, 16:15 0 0
Yea....if you seen the leaks of the HTC Ville and ICS...wow... kinda hard to tell its even running ICS.
6. theBankRobber posted on 20 Feb 2012, 11:32 1 0
Wow that looks really good, can't wait to get it on my phone. I wonder how much performance boost they have now, that's all that matters to me is how smooth the phone is running with this new update. Hardware acceleration is really going to be a big deal about ICS.
8. A.aoudi posted on 20 Feb 2012, 11:44 0 0
it is actually a good layout but i was expecting something a little more on the razr anyway you never know until you use it. Sense 4.0 is more appealing and Samsung touch wiz 5 is not out yet so it is a bit confusing now.
10. KingKurogiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 11:51 0 0
Oooo! the King Like! ;)
i just kind of wish they would take the app labels away from the icons in the dock.
11. remixfa posted on 20 Feb 2012, 11:52 0 0
it looks like stock with a lil theming. I hope the unseen internals are mostly untouched as well. that could bode good things to come for motos updates in the future. considering blur is probably the most heavily customized under the hood of all the UIs, if its not heavily modded that gives me hope for the other UIs as well.
12. KingKurogiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 11:59 1 0
i'd actually say it's on of the least modified. it's less modified than TW and especially Sense. it's kind of like what they've done with the Honeycomb experience and it feels good so i assume something similar is going on here.
13. remixfa posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:04 0 0
u have a misunderstanding of blur then. Blur is by far the most modified under the hood, not graphically. blur runs through motos "blur servers" to retrieve mail, status updates, and all sorts of nonsense for the stock mail/facebook/ect options. No other UI does that. It also has added in exchange functionality that tops the other UIs as well.
There are a lot of positives about blur, especially for business use with all the extra modifications. Unfortunately, in the android world, thats a double edged sword when it comes to updates.
14. KingKurogiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:09 1 0
oh well i wouldn't say that's a big deal then as Moto usually updates their high-end handsets pretty darn fast. xD
25. remixfa posted on 20 Feb 2012, 14:10 0 0
lol.. yea if it says "Droid " on it.. lord help ya if it doesn't..lol
32. KingKurogiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 18:55 0 0
they haven't done bad with the Atrix. o:
29. jroc74 posted on 20 Feb 2012, 16:18 0 0
Its kind of a wash between Blur and Sense UI then.. cuz on top that is the most heavily modified custom UI.
35. remixfa posted on 20 Feb 2012, 20:23 0 0
yea, sense is definately the most candied out. lol. give me stock ICS!!! :)
15. KingKurogiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:10 0 0
maybe it'll be even better if NOVA Launcher gets slapped over this. o:
16. KingKurogiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:15 0 0
i hope there's also some nice improvements to Webtop with this build too.
18. ArkiTech posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:16 1 0
Anybody else notice the blacked out icon in the 4th picture in between Currents and Docs...could this be google Drive
20. KingKurogiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:19 0 0
i didn't even notice there was a place blacked out. xD
that's a very good theory. we might learn more about the Razr's ICS update at MWC then. maybe it'll even get pushed then. c:
22. Paden posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:43 2 0
Sexy. Most impressed by the smoothness of ICS, web browsing, and multitasking.
23. jove39 posted on 20 Feb 2012, 12:58 0 0
Almost like stock...hope samsung learn something from this and drop tw from sgs2 ics build.
26. Leo_MC posted on 20 Feb 2012, 14:19 0 3
OMG, it's the kitschyest, kiddiest interface...
Sory, Motorola, I would have like it if I would have had 10-15 years old.
30. jroc74 posted on 20 Feb 2012, 16:19 3 0
I suggest you look at the Contacts icons and color scheme for stock ICS then.....you wont like what you see...lol.
Other than the Messaging icon smiley face...I dont see what you are talking about...
33. KingKurogiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 18:57 1 0
And even stock has a messaging icon smiley face. xD
41. Leo_MC posted on 21 Feb 2012, 06:51 0 1
It's everybody's choice to like or not to like Motorola UI; I chose not to like it.
Take a look at the 10th image: green wifi, blue BT, pink tethering, orange display (it's like candy icons on Symbian), not to mention the default wallpaper is a Quake print screen...
The f*bip, it's an ugly kid UI.
34. KingKurogiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 18:59 0 0
T-Mo does need a good, high-end handset from Moto. that's something i'll hope to see at MWC. o:
36. remixfa posted on 20 Feb 2012, 20:24 0 0
yea, we are definitely missing a good moto phone. Got my hands on a photon4g for the first time tonight. it was rather nice. Makes me wanna play with the droid razr. lol
38. KingKurogiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 21:53 0 0
the Razr is a billion times better. even the Bionic is noticeably better than the Photon.
37. frydaexiii posted on 20 Feb 2012, 21:52 2 0
Dayum, I wish I could have that on my SGS2...That looks like an extremely polished ICS
39. cthunder posted on 21 Feb 2012, 01:00 2 0
Sweet! Now hurry up and get this for the Droid 4 and I will be in business.