Report: Apple's board concerned about lack of innovation, puts pressure on CEO Cook
Apple continues to update its product line at regular intervals, but has not launched a new device since the Apple iPad mini last October. Despite the pressure from the board, the FOX Business reporter says that Cook's job is not in jeopardy. As for what might be coming from Apple, there is talk of a low-cost variant of its smartphone, apparently called the Apple iPhone 5C, that is aimed at emerging markets where low priced Nokia Lumia models and Android handsets have done well.
The next iteration of the full-priced Apple iPhone, dubbed the Apple iPhone 5S, is supposed to offer an improved camera sensor in order to compete with camera centric models like the Nokia Lumia 1020, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Zoom and the upcoming Sony i1 Honami. The iPhone 5S is also expected to have an improved battery and a fingerprint sensor. These new models are expected to launch in September along with a new Apple iPad mini sequel, possibly with a Retina display, and a 5th generation iPad.
And of course, there is the rumored Apple iWatch smartwatch. Now pushed back to 2014, the smartwatch will face competition from almost every major tech manufacturer. With a rumored September 4th unveiling of Samsung's Galaxy Gear smartwatch, Apple might not be first to market with the new generation of wristwatch. Something like that could make Apple's board very unhappy, looking for a scapegoat. Remember, the Apple Maps failure also came under Cook's tenure as CEO.
source: FBN via AppleInsider
1. ocilfa (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
I guees you could say he needs to "Cook" up some ideas.
26. dinzle (Posts: 21; Member since: 03 Dec 2011)
I thought Walter White was the one who Cooks
29. AnTuTu (Posts: 971; Member since: 14 Oct 2012)
Tim Cook if you want to know about innovation Note the date 4th September.
I mean take a Note.
34. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3024; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Agreed that the Note 3 won't be a slouch but so far as the news has been updated, i don't hear anything worth calling 'innovation' yet.
What it brings, and what's new inside it will be determined only after it's release...but until then, it's a phablet with 'deadly' hardware. That's all i can say.
33. akki20892 (Posts: 3653; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Holy sh!t look at cook face.
51. Topcat488 (Posts: 1173; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Someone should tell Tim Cook that trying to imitate Steve Jobs in a photo is a "FAIL".
Only Steve Jobs could pull off this kind of photo headshot for Apple.
2. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2010; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Haha.. Tim Crook, needs to take notes, on whats Hot, nowadays
32. Shatter (Posts: 2031; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Well it toke them 2 years to get LTE so they obviously don't know anything besides brain washing.
35. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3024; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
And when will iPhone come with NFC? Probably never...?
74. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3024; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Next year has been a very long time you know.
68. designerfx (Posts: 76; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
he basically said that when he'd come on as CEO he wasn't intended to make changes because of jobs worship, but keep apple in the black.
the reality is that apple was/is already headed downhill well before jobs passed away. sales are way, way down.
3. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Good to hear that someone is forcing Apple to innovate. Let's hope that this time innovations will be real innovations not "innovations" and of course not stolen from others.
11. darkkjedii (Posts: 12620; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
"Real innovations not "innovations". Not trolling PAU, just asking you to clarify? I know English isn't your native language.
24. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Yes, English is not my native language.
You see there is difference between real innovations and "innovations".
Since second word "innovations" is between quotation marks, in this case it suggest you to read it between the lines (not real innovations). ;)
49. Glim12808 (Posts: 393; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
"innovations" also equates to "revolutionary!" LOL!
69. designerfx (Posts: 76; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
sometimes people come up with new things from remixing other peoples ideas. this is acceptable and follows historical trends for over 500 years.
sometimes people just remix other people's ideas and claim it's entirely their own and unique, new, innovative, etc - even when using their products, and then suing them for "copying". this is apple's approach.
65. -box- (Posts: 3878; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I guess they're SOL then? They've never had that, so why would they start?!
4. zig8100 (Posts: 143; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
I guess its time to start stealing ideas and patenting them again. They never were innovative. LOL.
9. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
nope they never were innovative zig8100
45. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 195; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
This worked for Apple in the past BUT their tactic's are well known now days and they won't be able to pull off these cheap tricks in the future, as others patent their innovations straight away.
50. Glim12808 (Posts: 393; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
They may not have been innovative but they sure were "revolutionary!" LOL!
5. tedkord (Posts: 5261; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
The board said innovation, but Apple heard litigation.
13. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I was thinking the same thing since the patent case seems to be getting closer and closer. 2014 should be interesting.
6. TechBlue (Posts: 62; Member since: 06 May 2010)
not to mention an over-priced dictatorship, who strong arms competitors and keeps suing lol
7. ZeroCide (Posts: 700; Member since: 09 Jan 2013)
LACK OF INNOVATION!!!! What are you talking about? If you ask Apple they invented everything.
31. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3024; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Ever heard of Sarcasm??
The one thing Apple didn't innovate? Lol.
8. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Well well look at what we have here. even the board of directors are mad at Tim Cook beause of why now "LACK OF INNOVATIONS". Looks like even the board sees Apple keeps designing the same products over and over again. while other companies are making better designs.
10. TechBlue (Posts: 62; Member since: 06 May 2010)
Hey Apple invented the fruit" apple" and the logo......LOL
12. PapaSmurf (Posts: 8922; Member since: 14 May 2012)
I, an Android user, am waiting what Apple is dishing out with the new iPhone. If iPhone 5S turns out to be just a minimal upgrade from the 5, my money is going to Samsung with the Note III.
14. darkkjedii (Posts: 12620; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I'm getting the note 3 regardless Smurf, and the 5S. The ip5 is a great all around device bro. iOS, and the hardware upgrades make the 5S worth it. Man I hope they make a cool red 5S with 128 gigs of storage, come to papa.
16. alltechinside (Posts: 247; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
I'm afraid that is probably going to be the case. Even if the iPhone had a huge bumped up specs, its not going to impress the board. What Apple needs is to open a new market. Apple TV, Smart Watches have been rumoured for years and we thought we will be seeing Apple TVs years ago. Apple's stock will continually fall until they open up a new market.
42. joey_sfb (Posts: 3231; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Cook promise that the coming announcement would be filled with innovative products. We would know soon enough whether he could deliver on his promise.
15. AfterShock (Posts: 2968; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
Time to create a mood ring that displays notifications flashes.
18. Dorothy69 (banned) (Posts: 498; Member since: 21 May 2013)
OMG, that's an awful picture of Tim Cook, he looks like a White Devil. Furthermore, looks like it's a promo movie poster for The Exorcist iV. Please remove it, I'm frightened I tell you [FRIGHTENED]!!
57. Charlie_boy (Posts: 64; Member since: 04 Jan 2013)
how about Game of Thrones.. he the character that gets killed next...
59. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
ahaha i must admit. i read the last sentence as if Dorothy was saying it for real...
good one! haha
20. razmahtaz001 (Posts: 28; Member since: 11 May 2013)
im sure apple is much more satisfied with the monies they generate from the courts.
21. 1113douglas (Posts: 192; Member since: 04 Jul 2013)
yea everyone stop saying apple invented everything
22. aditya.k (Posts: 482; Member since: 10 Mar 2013)
And PA forgets Sony's SmartWatch! Why so much hate for Sony? :@
44. zennacko (Posts: 236; Member since: 16 Jun 2013)
Apple news (or gossip) generates far more traffic and ad hits, for those who didn't download adblock for their browsers.
23. khmer (Posts: 93; Member since: 21 Jun 2012)
Apple innovation is at the court rooms. Is Apple interested a new Samsung laptop display 13.3" at resolution 3200x1800 and a new world fastest 3D vertical Flash memory 128gb per chip at 10nm thick. Tim Cook go ahead and beg Samsung for high end components.
28. Mass88 (Posts: 49; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
People need to realize there are only so many revolutionary things that can be done with a phone after 5 or 6 iterations of it come out. You can slim it down, make it lighter, give it a higher res screen, faster processor, up the camera quality. You cannot expect major and amazing features to come out every refresh cycle.
53. Topcat488 (Posts: 1173; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
After 5 or 6 iterations, iphone still cannot multitask, move files,etc..., like a Android device... UI is just now being updated, design is stretched, whoa. Get started with packing Mr. Cook. Look at HTC One, it looks like the iphone but better!
66. McLTE (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Apple could hit it out of the park by offering consumers CHOICE.
Come out with a phablet - 5"+ screen for those of us that want that.
A water proof and rugged phone for those that need it.
Cheap variant that they are working on.
There is no denying that the phone is a good phone. As much as I hate Apple, I can recognize that. Apple needs to start listening to their consumers and incorporating what WE want into future phones. Quit ramming what you think we need down our throats and being smug about it in the process.
You don't know what I need.. I do.
37. mas11 (Posts: 1032; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
So a longer iPhone and a smaller iPad isn't innovative? It's not like Google is doing anything special with Glass and driverless cars...
38. TechBlue (Posts: 62; Member since: 06 May 2010)
hey Al Gore works for Apple they Invented the Internet and the paper bag
39. softfurryanus (banned) (Posts: 232; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
Get Tim Cook to innovate? He's Tim Cook, not Steve Jobs.
40. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Looks like Apple is cooked right now. Poor Apple.
41. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1271; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
It's been 3 years since the iPad, which coincidentally, came three years after the iPhone. In that six year span, nobody has created a new category of innovative device, although Google is trying with Glass. The board needs some patience.