New report says both 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhones are coming "as soon as September"
1. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
But if there is nothing to take advantage of the big screens like how Samsung does it then why the big screens in the first place? At least it's bigger...finally.... looking at other iPhones make them look like iToys so
7. brrunopt (Posts: 735; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
an extra row and column of icons !!!!! it will be magical...
40. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
when 5.5 iPone launches, it will be on the eve of Galaxy Note 4. Apple is only famous for making their iFollowers wait, and wait, and wait for what their competition has had for years.. and years.. and years... iLike my tech companies to react and soon to new tech, not hose me for nearly 3 -4 years at a time!
22. Doakie (Posts: 1759; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Well they'll probably copy the Note series with their new Stylus patent for their 5.5" iPhone. At least now we're able to see how Apple isn't innovative any longer. They're following the trends in the tech space like everyone else.
42. Sauce (unregistered)
Isn't innovative? Didn't they just win most innovative tech company last year lmao? So now, flood me with your negative excuses on why they won looool. I'll be waiting.
26. akki20892 (Posts: 3853; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
2. chistoefur (Posts: 103; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
Sweet, so what are we gonna get with the new screen size? An extra grid of icons?
Man how revolutionary! Go Apple!!
6. Finalflash (Posts: 2452; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Yea but he's wrong, you probably get larger icons instead on a larger screen, you know...real innovation. Extra row they already did last year and it blew iFan minds.
10. brrunopt (Posts: 735; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
they will add not only 1 extra row but also 1 extra column ; BOOMMM ....
3. fzacek (Posts: 2486; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
If it costs $200+ more than the flagships of Samsung, LG, and HTC (which it will, knowing Apple) then I don't see WHY anyone would want one. iOS is made to work well on a small screen, and a large iPhone would not take any advantage of the extra screen real estate. Old people and lazy people who think that whatever is popular must be the best, so they don't do their research; those are really the only people who buy iPhones in the first place.
8. jellmoo (Posts: 1117; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
To play devil's advocate, the success of the iPad and iPad mini does show that iOS can work on a larger device.
12. brrunopt (Posts: 735; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
everyone buys ipads because it runs iOS /s
13. fzacek (Posts: 2486; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Yeah, it works, but what does it add to the experience in terms of multitasking and efficiency? Exactly.
17. jellmoo (Posts: 1117; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
But you can say this about most devices. What does the 6 inch screen on the G Pro 2 get you in terms of experience over a 5 inch device? Or the 1520? What added benefit do you get from the 7 inch form factor of the Nexus 7?
The reality is that with most devices, the extra size gets you little more than screen real estate. The only exception I can think of off the top of my head is the functionality of the S Pen on Samsung Note devices.
25. iushnt (Posts: 1258; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
That is why those devices u mentioned above are not anywhere close to the sales numbers of note series tablets and phablet. However nexus 7 is a bang for money so no point in bashing it. I still remember, people still complain about the use of gpro 2, HTC max, z-ultra for not offering anything relevant to its big screen sizes. But I hear, lg is giving multi window options as well..
28. jellmoo (Posts: 1117; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
I'm not bashing the Nexus 7 at all. I have one myself and enjoy it quite a bit. But the reality is that outside of a bigger screen, what is different between it, and say, a Nexus 4/5?
My point would more or less be that Apple would not be alone in creating a bigger device without adding additional features dedicated to the size increase. That idea of having extra features dedicated to the size (which is something I fully support) seems to be more the exception than the rule.
44. The13thKing (banned) (Posts: 849; Member since: 26 Feb 2014)
Talk Note 3 talk split screen and multitasking talk reading texts clearly and actually watching videos plus the keyboard. Im not a hater cuz i owned 2 iphones in the past, but switched to samsung mainly because i couldnt stand the microscopic screen and the storage space. Its not only a phone anymore, people use it as a reading a multimedia and a chatting device so any 0.1" in screen size makes a difference so between 4 and 5 inches theres a helluva difference.
15. Ninetysix (Posts: 2144; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Last I heard Android is more popular. Are the people buying those not do their research since they have that "whatever is popular" mentality?
16. ecmedic4 (Posts: 301; Member since: 02 May 2013)
Nice trolling. You obviously don't know anything about the millions of ppl that buy iPhones as you've never met those millions of ppl. I get so sick of ppl trying to claim what type of ppl buy iPhones when you obviously have no idea. There are all kinds of different ppl that iPhones, same goes for android phones and WP. Seriously, if your gonna troll, at least come up with something that's half believable.
4. wando77 (Posts: 672; Member since: 23 Aug 2012)
Bbbb but...... 3.5" is the PERFECT screen size for a phone and 9.7" for a tablet...... Idiots. This is apple now showing they had it wrong and samsung etc had it right. If samsung was as pathetic as apple they would be suing apple for a 4.7" screen (as absurd as suing a rectangle with rounded corners)
9. SemperFiV12 (Posts: 942; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)
LOLLL priceless comment... So true. However, I will say that I may be enticed to try iOS on a device that's actually bigger than 4".
Just so I stay up to date on tech and remain objective and fair to each platform.
11. Ninetysix (Posts: 2144; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Have you heard of the iPad and iPad Mini? I heard it's a device running iOS. Both are bigger than 4". Should see them all over the place.
19. SemperFiV12 (Posts: 942; Member since: 09 Nov 2010)
Touche... On a SMARTPHONE.
I don't mess with tablets without Windows 8, since I actually use them for work.
21. darkkjedii (Posts: 17579; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
480 billion says they had it right. Bbbbb billions.
23. Doakie (Posts: 1759; Member since: 06 May 2009)
So.... 4.7" and 5.5".... They're copying the screen size of the 2012 Samsung's. Galaxy S 3 launched in Spring 2012 with a 4.8" screen and the Note 2 launched in fall 2012 with a 5.5" screen. So it's safe to say Apple is 2-2.5 years behind Samsung amirite?
14. PermanentHiatus (Posts: 267; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Enable some widgets and I'll consider it.
Rows and rows of icons are just boring. In Android we call that the app drawer.
20. darkkjedii (Posts: 17579; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
The jedster will be camped out, to be first in line. Last two years have been a ball, coffee will be on hand.
29. JC557 (Posts: 1266; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
No need to camp out. There'll be plenty to go around, besides you should wait it out just in case there are bugs.
38. verty (Posts: 121; Member since: 07 May 2012)
I can't believe you are proud of hanging out!!!!! To buy a toy......here have some candy with it!!!!! Also please plan to grow up !!!!
43. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Says the guy using 4 exclamation marks... That's 4x exclaim worth for you lol
53. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
camping outside, thats what hippys and cults do...
grown up married guy like him....? camping outside for a 5years old subpar product.....? your smarter than that...?
24. jphillips63 (Posts: 205; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
What's funny is the iphone ain't nothing but an iPod touch with a radio in it to make calls and browse the Internet and Ifans are all over that new innovation.
27. jellmoo (Posts: 1117; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
It would be more accurate to say that the iPod Touch is an iPhone without a radio to make calls...
32. bigdawg23 (Posts: 424; Member since: 25 May 2011)
The iPhone was launched before the IPod Touch, Samsung tired launching its own Galaxy Music player with not much success. I use am iPhone 5 for personal and Note 3 for work, I get the best of both worlds. If Apple finally adds the ability to insert documents and other files in emails in iOS 8 they will make huge strides along with a 4.7 and 5.5 screen.
30. JC557 (Posts: 1266; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Sounds interesting. I could definitely go for my first iPhone if the display size is increased to 4.7". They just need to lessen those top/ bottom bezels a bit to make it work.
31. Leonis (Posts: 338; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
Watch when Apple actually change the UI. It will be fantastic. Mark my words.
33. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1870; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
this will change everything apple innovate again,truth....
35. atlvideoguy (Posts: 52; Member since: 24 Feb 2012)
The 5.5 inch phone should be called the Apple iPhad
36. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I could see them using the same frame from the 5 with a bigger screen in it to keep costs down for their sake.
41. Sirius85 (Posts: 14; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
I'm curious as to how many android users will either make the switch to or switch back to iOS with the new screen size options. Apple started out setting the trends now they're the ones trying to keep up with them. The only "innovative" things they've incorporated as of lately is biometrics and a 64 bit processor, which is pretty much useless at this point. Bigger size options are a good start to being competitive again, a UI change would also be huge. That being said though iOS's simplistic interface is also what makes it great, and it works just as great. Android has come a long long way though in a fairly short amount of time. A nexus 5 with kitkat is hard to argue with, android in its true form is a beautiful experience. Only time will tell what happens.
46. Amir1 (Posts: 317; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
there is no reason to buy iphone in 2014 and pay more for it then the most expensive android offers.
52. jellmoo (Posts: 1117; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Of course there are. The reasons may not have value for you, which is fine, but they have value for other people, which is also fine.
48. nobrainer (Posts: 16; Member since: 11 Feb 2014)
i think they should drop second iPhone and just improve what they have.iPhone 5c is a disaster,for company which used to be innovative (Steve Jobs time) to being calculated and money orientated(Tim Cook time) is madness.I dont even know why Tim Cook got this job.If new iPhone will have 4.7 inch it would be ideal to hold it like Moto X.dont think there will be massive change in iOS 8 from iOS 7 and this years release will show if Apple under Tim Cook is goona last so September 2014 come quick!
51. x88yunkw (Posts: 107; Member since: 20 Aug 2012)
so i still able to reach the top of my iphone 6 screen using 1 hand?
54. rallyguy (Posts: 620; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
What will be the PPI of a retina display on a 5.5 inch screen? Apple already said the human eye can't see better than a Retina resolution.