Nearly 75% of all smartphones sold in Q1 were Android, Galaxy S4 expected to “be very popular”
Apple’s iOS came a distant second with an around 18% share. Other platforms had a marginal share - BlackBerry outsold Windows Phone and the two had shares of 3% and 2.9% respectively.
But what’s really interesting is that Android’s biggest flagship had not yet arrived in Q1 and will make their biggest impact in the second quarter of the year.
“We expect the new Galaxy S4 to be very popular despite being more of an evolution than a truly revolutionary device compared to the S3,” Gartner principal research analyst Anshul Gupta said.
Outside of smartphones, the biggest news came from Nokia’s catastrophic loss of volume in feature phone sales. Take a look at the numbers that tell the whole story right below.
Nearly 75% of all smartphones sold in Q1 were Android Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Android 4.4 KitKat update: release date, features and rumors
31 Oct 2013, 02:31
Nearly 75% of all smartphones sold in Q1 were Android
2. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Samsung is really making bags of money
28. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
think if they had the margins that apple gets from the iphone.
34. ph00ny (Posts: 529; Member since: 26 May 2011)
Their net profit for the mobile business is lot closer to apple than previous years
"Apple took home 57% of the global smartphone industry’s profits, while Samsung grabbed almost 43%" compared to "Apple commands 73%, Samsung captures 26%" year ago
3. twens (Posts: 332; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
With android 5.0 boosting androids performance and stability,I see those percentages increasing to 85% by next yr. Apple is going downnnnnnn.lol
32. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The S4 can't even run multi window without lagging, its not even close to a desktop/laptop.
6. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Maybe.. I read in Androidheadlines that htc is on the second spot next to Samsung in Android Arena
10. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
And Sony officially said they sold over 8 million Xperias..someone is being off here
11. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Sony LG and HTC are fighting tightly for the second spot. But i am also sure thay Sony managed to outsell HTC
26. moroninc (Posts: 137; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
Oh Nokia, what a disaster getting married to Microsoft. Android is way hotter and would have sold you more phones.. #Fact
29. TreyTreyTaylor (Posts: 261; Member since: 21 Dec 2010)
I'm a random guy, and I approve this message lol
8. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
..and Android sold 30 TIMES more.
14. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3692; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Where the hell is HTC and BlackBerry?
15. chistoefurpuffer (Posts: 139; Member since: 11 Mar 2013)
Well most consumer may be smart enough to choose the s4.
The HTC One has been returned a lot because of blown out speakers and dead pixels of course, so no surprise there.
16. xperiaDROID (Posts: 3692; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
And what about BlackBerry?
Never mind. -_-
19. Rayanx10 (Posts: 45; Member since: 30 Mar 2013)
stop trolling the Samsung s4 was returned more than any other phone this year do to lag and screen pink blur and over heating
36. Azure01 (Posts: 124; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
Where is your data supporting this "fact?" Same question to chistoefurpuffer.
37. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
You can read articles about what christoefurpuffer said. Just google it. Anyway the credibility of that survey of Sprint or at&t (i forgot) stores is unknown..
Rayanx10 is saying about the issues being brought in xda forums and androicentral forums about gs4 but there is no definite article or news saying that gs4 is heavily returned in stores maybe because there are temporary fixes brought by some people there and lags have been almost fixed by the recent updates..
39. Azure01 (Posts: 124; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
What I'm saying is that they're both throwing allegations without any proof. If they want to sound as though their stating facts and not being fanboys, then they should provide links.
20. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
With no new iphone model coming in Q2 and with S4 and HTC ONE out... i wouldn't be surprised if android hits the 80% mark in Q2...
21. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
Note3 next nexus devices sony honami and togari lg g2 tizen device
25. Whateverman (Posts: 3056; Member since: 17 May 2009)
With the roll Android OEMs are on right, they could release along WITH the next iPhone and cut Apple's sales in half. These guys aren't kidding around, and Apple really needs WOW the general consumers again if they're going to compete. And just think, we haven't seen any KLP, Octacore, Snapdragon 800, Tegra 4, or Intel devices in the States yet. Not underestimating Apple, I'm just saying iOS 7 better be something really special.
22. mr.techdude (Posts: 258; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Haha note 3, HTC butterfly 2 and lg optimus g2 all come out inn the same Q as Icrap 5s equals game over although the icrap will no doubt sell in the millions but not to break a milestone it will be like the iPhone 5 lost demand in 2 months :-)
23. Shrihari (Posts: 79; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
How about now xperia_droid ? what do you want to say about nokia now ? just accept the f**king fact that nokia has sold itself to microsoft by the bitch(whore) called elop....
24. PhoneCritic (Posts: 329; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
What we are seeing here is exactly what we saw years ago in the PC market when there was Windows ( Tandy,Pakard Bell, Dell, Gateway, etc...) , Mac Os ( Apple alone) and everyone else ( Atari, Commodore, Sun, OS2). Now put Android in place of windows and Samsung, Sony, HTC, Motorola etc.. as its manufactures and put Apple in place of well, Apple and you see history repeating itself again.
30. Topcat488 (Posts: 781; Member since: 29 Sep 2012)
Maybe Apple could make up ground, if they made more than 1 iphone a year... I mean, that's why i carry a Samsung Note... I couldn't wait for Apples delays, with soooooooooooooo many beautiful Android devices out there... Now i carry a phone from both OS's.
31. funnyguy2 (banned) (Posts: 34; Member since: 14 May 2013)
Yes but when will samsung roll out the update that would make the s4 less Laggy?
35. SonyFindOneDroidple (Posts: 441; Member since: 11 May 2013)
The update is already rolling out
38. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 762; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)