Microsoft Surface is being tested in Virginia as a voting device
While the Microsoft Surface tablet being used for the test is the RT variant with an ARM supported processor, Democracy Live CEO Bryan Finney says that he will talk with Microsoft about using more Surface tablets for future elections and would like to use the Intel powered Microsoft Surface 8 Pro model. The test in Virginia is to get feedback from those who get to use the device.
Current computers in polling places are older machines with outdated specs which makes the speed of the tablet stand out. By time of the next presidential election in 2016, the speed of electronic balloting could be blinding. Consider where we were with mobile device speeds in 2008 and where we are now.
source: Geekwire via WMPoweruser
1. mydi.maus (unregistered)
voting device?why not take apple imac?
9. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
The only reason Macs dont get hack is because it not worth it, something this important will make hackers hack into macs faster than you think
2. mydi.maus (unregistered)
someone should come up with voteing app..lol
3. tiara6918 (Posts: 1322; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Microsoft Surface is now becoming a more perfect companion for people.
5. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
Neither is the iPad. Just because apple has a simple UI that doesn't mean it's a toy. You don't own one so you don't know how capable they are. Or may be you own but don't know how to fully exploit ur ipad.
8. phil2n (Posts: 466; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
you're guilty when i say its not a toy. Did i mention something that offends you?
10. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
Simple UI has got nothing to do with it being a toy..
Look at W8, its Tiles are simpler than the fancy static icons, but it can do more..
wanna know why the iPad is a toy? because it can't even transfer a document over bluetooth, can't even download a song..
have you seen the new iPad ad? yeah, the one that it is used as a Piano toy..
11. Kronic (banned) (Posts: 321; Member since: 11 Sep 2012)
It can download songs and movies. There are so many download clients that will also playback your downloaded content
14. bayusuputra (Posts: 941; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
so, doesn't that make it more like a toy and not a productivity device? Media player, isn't that for fun? and what fun associated with? yes, toy..
12. gothicheart (Posts: 82; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
you're right, the ipad is not a toy. My grandma says it's not, haha :)
7. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
coz im pretty sure the surface 8 pro is the real tablet pc!
13. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6122; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Id rather vote on the Surface than a iPad. At least MS is doing good for their marketing compaign
15. phil2n (Posts: 466; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
not only in their marketing campaign but also in their product, not like some fashion tablet or phones