Look ma, no bezel! Sharp's Sprint-bound Aquos Crystal gets featured in video ads
1. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Me: "Look ma, no bezel!"
Ma: "Cool, how much is it?"
Me: "It's coming to Sprint."
Ma: "WTF is Sprint? You want some isotonic soda or what?"
Me: "Nevermind, just get a Sony."
See? This "Look ma" joke doesn't work every time, especially when this thing is not even available globally.
You know what's better?
"Look ma, waterproof! Sony!"
That's much better.
10. Ashoaib (Posts: 3229; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
@xperiadroid... plz dont troll... its a new device and new brand, sharp is not well known in mobile phone space, so plz dont troll... if you still want to fullfil your appitite of trolling then there are plenty of well know brands. you can choose from sony, lg, samsung, apple, motorla etc
appreciate the design, its unique... something different from others
11. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
I understand that you appreciate the unique design of Sharp phones, me too. But Sharp isn't a new brand, they started since 1912, well-known for their beautiful TVs; but back in the good old days, Sharp already started to make phones but they're mostly Japanese exclusive and they did sell few of their phones outside Japan on some countries but they didn't succeed. The point of my comment here and the other one on the previous article was to spread how much I like Sharp phones and also the desire of global launch of it. Why I dragged Sony here? It's simple, because Sony and Sharp are both from Japan, Sony at least will launch their phones on most countries but Sharp is like limited. If what I appreciate, like and desire is trolling, then you should go search the meaning for the word "trolling".
Stay awesome. Peace and love.
16. Gregor (Posts: 34; Member since: 26 Nov 2013)
More than 10 years ago Sharp had two very popular mobile phones in Europe sold by Vodafone, GX 10 and GX20, one of the first cameraphones with high resolution screen.
22. JC557 (Posts: 1316; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
They are well known in the eastern part of the world. We just don't get those pretty awesome phones.They are also pretty water resistant as well or at least their past models tended to be (maybe I'm thinking of Panasonic in that realm).
That said I hope they didn't diminish the earpiece quality to get those slim bezels and I hope there are innovative ways for cases to adequately protect the phone without impeding functionality (like editing things on the far borders of the display).
Lastly... why Sprint? I wanna see something like this for all carriers or an unlocked international version.
35. downphoenix (Posts: 3149; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
It's probably because softbank has a relationship with Sharp.
34. nathan.carter (Posts: 416; Member since: 11 Aug 2014)
actually they're not new at all. but this is one of their best designs. i like it. i just hope they release it as GSM. Sprint? come on if they want some cash they would release it on At&t or verizon. nobody will buy this phone on sprint.
26. Sealblaighter (Posts: 200; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
Don't be fool, Sharp it's much better than Sony. Sharp it's Japanese too! They are not present in the global markets, they sell mostly in Japan.
45. Sealblaighter (Posts: 200; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
But you can buy any Japanese smart phone from kyoex.com.
32. akki20892 (Posts: 3899; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Dammm....that just screen. Where is phone lol
33. neela_akaash (Posts: 1093; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
If this would have been the new iPhone 6. The article will be flooded with the comments like "the greatest design innovation of the decade."
38. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
Says the Troll with xperia on its name.... shooo go away!
9. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Unlucky Sharp. This has to be the best example of how carrier exclusive = sales fail. On Sprint of all carriers.
24. ajac09 (Posts: 1480; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I dont think sharp cares. They rarely send their phones out of the Japanese market anyway so wont change much.
27. Sealblaighter (Posts: 200; Member since: 26 Jan 2014)
You can buy any Japanese smart phone from NTT Docomo, by kyoex.com.
3. nohatenofanboy (banned) (Posts: 515; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
they should have put the half of bottom bezel to the top
12. kent-gaga (Posts: 479; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
then it would look just "ordinary"
i mean a lot of other manufacturer already done that
17. nohatenofanboy (banned) (Posts: 515; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
I guarantee that it wouldnt look ordinary.
19. vincelongman (Posts: 3975; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Agreed, I still hold my phone with my pinky on the bottom, so with this it would still be a stretch to reach the top left corner of the screen
However, if I could install xposed or flash a custom romm then I could use it upside down, which would much it much easier
4. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1178; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
look ma no bezels
look ma no phone
31. McLTE (Posts: 804; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
what does dropping your phone have to do with bezels? Your glass goes to the edge of the screen regardless of bezel size.
and 13 thumbs up? WTF? THINK PEOPLE!
42. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1178; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
even a small bezel takes some impact off the central of the phone
when your phone hit the ground the impact points the little bezel (or big) takes most of the shock but where there's just the screen it takes most of the impact
like how the iphone 4 was layered with glass back and front so mostly you'd see them cracked !
and the glass goes to the edge of the screen and after that there's a little piece of plastic/metal usually!
and lastly it's a joke don't your balls in a knot !
46. ihopnavajo (Posts: 8; Member since: 25 Aug 2014)
"WTF? THINK PEOPLE!" Good advice. Sure, in many phones, the GLASS (either the touch-screen digitizer or just plain ole' glass) may reach to the end or near the end of the bezel, but the LCD, the part that actually cost any decent amount of money in this situation, does not. With typical phones, you can break your glass fairly easy but in many cases it is still totally functional. With this phone, with the LCD extending all the way to the edges of the device, if you crack your glass, you'll have a much higher chance of getting a completely dead screen.
5. phljcnth (Posts: 479; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Drop test please! Lol
It actually looks pretty but I think it's very fragile.
6. kassi (Posts: 109; Member since: 25 May 2013)
still completely rendered, wont be impressed until i see the real bezels.
8. ManusImperceptus (Posts: 724; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
Isn't it going to be hard to handle, as in avoiding unintended presses...?
15. rawbow (Posts: 428; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I like it when concepts graduate to the real deal..especially from companies least expected from.. Kids here have no material to troll on..
18. mike2959 (Posts: 506; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Fat bottom girl's make this rockin world go'round..
20. yep_its_ed (unregistered)
Wait so the earpiece and front facing camera are on the bottom bezel? It would be weird to have to turn the phone upside down to make a call.
21. irbaaz (Posts: 162; Member since: 27 Mar 2014)
This should really win best design/innovativarive design 2014
23. nasznjoka (Posts: 394; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
what a phooone? But the huge bottom bezel sucks. Well some big fish are going to copy this soon
25. Liveitup (Posts: 1798; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
For this device or any device for that matter that seemingly plays on design the bezel shouldn't be more than quarter inch from the base.
28. tokuzumi (Posts: 877; Member since: 27 Aug 2009)
That's actually not a bad looking device. I just hope it isn't more prone to screen breakage, with no bezel to protect the screen when dropped. I'm surprised a phone manufacturer is trying to make a smaller phone. Kudos to Sharp!
44. medtxa (Posts: 1103; Member since: 02 Jun 2014)
there is bezels, thin... but enough to protect the screen
29. AustinPaul (Posts: 66; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Notice the "Softbank" at the end the videos. This would explain the Sprint exclusive.
30. Jurdiales (Posts: 133; Member since: 10 Oct 2012)
4 soft-buttons? What version it is? Gingerbread?
37. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
I always wanted A SHARP phone next to SONY. they make BEAUTIFUL DESIGNS SLIM BEZELS FULL SCREENS. shame it have to be wasted on America's most crappy network.
39. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2232; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Incredible, almost no bezel ..game changer!! And will have Harman kardon sound built in??
41. gigaraga (Posts: 1454; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
HOLY BEZEL. Going to see if screen (underneath the glass) really does break easily...because glass is bound to crack..its just the screen underneath