Leaked Sony Xperia Z4 chassis suggests an even thinner device without a microSD slot
1. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Waterproofing is not necessary for everyone. Some people need it but they are a real minority. It results in poor speaker quality/low volume and thicker bezels.
6. Finalflash (Posts: 2791; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Sadly I wanted my next phone to be water proof. Was looking forward to a Z4 compact but if it doesn't have water proofing then I will get an S6 edge. The green one looks amazing and it will probably be the best phone of the year. The only thing that could turn me away from it is the Z4 compact or a 4.7-5 inch nexus device
51. boosook (Posts: 1428; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Let me understand... you want a z4 compact but if it doesn't have waterproofing you'll get an S6 which is not waterproof itself?
80. UglyFrank (Posts: 1601; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
if the S6 edge was waterproof he would definitely choose it over the Z4 compact I believe.
85. Finalflash (Posts: 2791; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
That is correct, I wanted water proofing and if that isn't available in the top 5 phones (SS, LG, HTC, Sony, Nexus of some type) then I get a phone based on other features of which the S6 seems the most interesting.
86. Awalker (Posts: 1430; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
He's saying the only reason to get the Z4 is because of waterproofing (in his opinion). Now that phone may not be waterproof he's moving on.
59. romeo1 (Posts: 706; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
the z4 and z4c will probably have ip ratings. The m4 aqua also has a open micro usb port and still having the waterproofing.
About the s6 being the best phone of the year. Im not so sure it could be for some and another device for others. If you mean the fastest probably not. The s820 may prove to be faster and knowing samsung the note5 will probably be faster than the s6
68. Nebice (Posts: 48; Member since: 05 Jan 2015)
maybe, but in the end its gonna depend on your own preverences, i think some will say htc has the best some will say lg g4 some will say iphone 6s/6s ... so its all up to what you yourself think (also did you see the benchmark (meh antutu) of the letv phone?? 63000 with a sd810 would be a interessting phone as well)
78. romeo1 (Posts: 706; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
Yep thats what i tried to say.
For me z3tc as i wanted a fast and big screened phone.
No I'll look it up later but that is interesting
84. Finalflash (Posts: 2791; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Honestly, hardware wise literally all of these phones are the same. In the end it comes down to unique factors like the camera and screen and Samsung wins in both those categories. Add to that their payment system which is better than all others if that MagStripe thing actually works along with the Authentec style fingerprint scanner, they win. The Note might be better, but that isn't a phone, its a phablet, so kind of not the same category.
106. buccob (Posts: 2518; Member since: 19 Jun 2012)
I agree here, since last year I don't ever take into consideration which one has the fastest benchmarking or even cpu since all flagships of 2014/2015 are extremely fast..... But I do like having unique features...
For me, I actually like having a dedicated camera shutter button, the eyelet for a wrist strap (to prevent falls), waterproofing, stereo frontal speakers (though after using this feature is good to have, but not a must), and all of this in a compact device usable with one hand.
I actually don't like that they will drop the magnetic port on the Xperia line since I already invested in 2 adapters and also my Car Stereo has the port for charging my phone... and the port allows forces Rotation everywhere on the interface, something nice to have when using docked.
107. romeo1 (Posts: 706; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
Screen is subjective im not sure about s6 and s6edge as i didn't see those in real life but i prefer the ips screens over amoled. With amoled i always see a kind of green glow. The camera in automode is usually better on samsungs. Sonys automode is really bad only lowlight shots can be done pretty good and the lossles zoom is also a good thing. I hope for htc that the m9 camera will be good after 2 very bad ones on the m7 and m8.
For me the ui features of lg and sony are the best. The small apps are really handy as you can use more at the same time.
About the note models everybody says phablet these days but i see phablets the same as phones. They serve the same purpose so why can't they be compared?
I use a z3tc as my phone which is considered as a tablet but it has phone capabilities. I see it as a phone as it serves the same purpose for me.
114. rotkiv3451 (Posts: 84; Member since: 07 Jan 2015)
But with a small battery the S6 will be just a paperweight, considering you won't be able to use it for a long time.
20. hboy857 (Posts: 349; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
No microSD slot is a important feature for me.
I'll give Sony a -1 if they ditch microSD slot.
97. mayur007 (Posts: 563; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
agree... lol only windows phone are left with microsd card ?
99. mayur007 (Posts: 563; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
but microsd card is necessary i want things to be instant... not to use internet at all.....
109. waddup121 (unregistered)
Sony...don't do this! At least make it thinner than the M4, but keep the MicroSD capabilities and *try* to keep it waterproof. The elemental..remember?
133. pkninja1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 11 Apr 2015)
Tbh I dont thibk we have have to worry because I think I spot an sd slot where the charger was on the z3
32. tango_charlie (Posts: 246; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
You don't need flaps. Look at the recently announced Xperia M4 Aqua. Its got an IP68 rating an no usb flap. The Z4 will definitely be water-resistant. That's for sure.
37. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
Sony making a phone without waterproof feature? that's very unlikely. However, if this device is without the SD card slot, then it better has 128GB of storage.
41. hellbread (Posts: 309; Member since: 21 Nov 2014)
Well, I think that waterproofing is main thing people are going for Sony.
Bad decision if they put it away.
I had high hopes for Z4 really but if they ditch waterproof and microSD slot...
48. jaytai0106 (Posts: 1888; Member since: 30 Mar 2011)
I went with Z2 because it has all the basic feature I need. Decent screen, good battery life, and front facing speakers. However, I can't believe I fall in love with the waterproof feature and it would be hard for me to live without. People can say it's an useless feature all they want, but don't ever judge it until you have a waterproof phone and have living with it for a long time. The way you handle your phone in everyday life would be different. Just trust me.
42. techhead64 (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Mar 2015)
waterproofing is a big plus they need to not go with the normal flagship phone i would love to have a phone that i could take to a water park or spill something on it and not give a dam about it if they get rid of it or some other features like the super nice camera that they had on the Z3 it would just be a normal flag ship so hopefully they stick to there guns and just upgrade with some new features that would be a nice phone.
103. Lizardo101 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Mar 2015)
1) It's waterproof even though the USB port is cap-less (hint - M4 and Z4 Tablet) this author at phonearena has been living under a rock for the past week for saying its not waterproof because the USB port is exposed! I mean seriously!!
2) the flap on the right is removed, however the flap on the left is bigger than the Z3! That means that the micro SD and sim card are in the same location.
3) lack of magnetic charging adapter might be a hint for wireless charging.
88. may_czos (Posts: 715; Member since: 22 Nov 2014)
Water resistance? Z4 will be waterproof! What you can read above is just a speculation based on open microUSB port. Thing is - Sony already have water resistant microUSB (in the M4) so there's no need to worry.
4. TheStanleyFTW (Posts: 243; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
f**k thinness. Waterproof and big batteries and better cooling solutions IS WHAT WE NEED! (And maybe bigger camera sensors lulz) :D
29. kabiluddin (Posts: 183; Member since: 28 Feb 2015)
100% agree with you. There is no need to go any thinner than Z3. Z3 is already thin enough. I want bigger battery (3500mAh) + microSD slot + bigger camera sensor + waterproofing.
89. may_czos (Posts: 715; Member since: 22 Nov 2014)
Z3 already has big camera sensor, they need better image processing.
55. rnagic (Posts: 150; Member since: 13 Jul 2014)
I'd rather have a phone with slim bezels. If that means a little more girth, than so be it.
87. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
Finally someone says something right. BATTERIES AND COOLING solutions is what everyone needs. but not a big camera sensor. I will pass on the Z4 if it doesn't INCLUDES SD CARD in it.
5. amozhi (Posts: 130; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
No Micro SD slot? :-(( SONY will loose again
8. Biernot (unregistered)
Use a cloud
22. pyradark (Posts: 827; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
Lol!! No waterproof while z4 tablet has, microsd is the understandable as OTG is starting to grow but z4 tab still has it so I expect it will come with sd card support
54. lyndon420 (Posts: 3959; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
That's what I do since there is always access to the internet and I have almost 1tb of online storage for all my stuff which gets automatically backed up. Maybe I'm paranoid, but the thought of loosing my phone along with everything I've accumulated bothers me. Cloud options don't work for everyone though due to coverage and data plans. There are options for almost everyone.
90. may_czos (Posts: 715; Member since: 22 Nov 2014)
Cloud is not very safe, you need to have one, pay for one, you need good internet connection etc. MicroSD is quick, easy, safe and you can use it in the middle of nowhere.
101. jokensy (unregistered)
Who the f**k told you there's no micro SD slot!!!
7. tiara6918 (Posts: 2026; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Where are the sony fans who said waterproof is necessary? Look at what they're doing now.
16. itsjustJOH (Posts: 232; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
Did you read the article? Have you seen the M4 Aqua and the Z4 Tablet?
18. tiara6918 (Posts: 2026; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Sony fans always take pride that their xperia is waterproof, now that it's gone. They've got nothing to brag about
19. itsjustJOH (Posts: 232; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
Oh my god you're on another level of stupid.
39. tiara6918 (Posts: 2026; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
"from what we're told and shown, it appears possible that Sony has ditched waterproofing – a highlight feature of its product line " and what did I not read? so many blind sony fanboys
45. RajRicardo (Posts: 386; Member since: 28 Feb 2014)
That is just PAs opinion not the actual product spec. PA is not making the Z4, Sony is. And looking at M4 Aqua and Z4 Tablet with open USB ports, PA is wrong and Sony is not ditching the waterproofing feature.
58. hboy857 (Posts: 349; Member since: 03 Jun 2013)
"That said, do keep in mind that it is possible to waterproof a microUSB port without using a flap." - you miss this part of the articles. That's why I said read the article.
82. Niva. (Posts: 419; Member since: 05 Jan 2015)
tiara is a htc fangirl troll, she may even be on their payroll.
60. romeo1 (Posts: 706; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
you do know that comment 19 is still valid right?
105. Lizardo101 (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Mar 2015)
are you freakin' kidding me? where were you during MWC? M4 aqua and Z4 tablet both have open USB ports and they ARE both waterproof. if anything, sony has even upped the ante for waterproofing by making it capless.
28. dimas (Posts: 1967; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
Pride? For a gadget? Relax it's just a phone. If Z4 will flunk and continue the zero microsd trend, there are dozens of other android phones available.
36. jos_031 (Posts: 60; Member since: 12 Jun 2012)
Agree completely. It is must have feature. I need water proofing. but is sony is moving away, I am too. I need a flagship like device with waterproofing. sony was always about compromising features. There will be something not upto the mark, I have been loyal fan of the sony from Arc days. with one sony per year. Arc made me realize waterproofing is needed. I had always liked may features of samsung. I guess i will be moving away.
102. jokensy (unregistered)
f**k SAKE! This article sucks big balls! Waterproofing is NOT gone in Xperia Z4! The tablet Z4 and M4 Aqua have exposed usb port and yet they are waterproof!
91. may_czos (Posts: 715; Member since: 22 Nov 2014)
Waterproffing/USB part is not true. Lack of MicroSD may be true.
10. irellemot (Posts: 109; Member since: 29 Nov 2012)
This means nothing you idiots. Did you forget about the new Aqua or the Xperia Z4 tablet, both of which are made by Sony, are waterproof, and don't have USB flaps?...
17. itsjustJOH (Posts: 232; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
Indeed, but the lack of a slot for a microSD card might mean they are ditching expandable storage. Also, it might mean, just probably, that they are finally going for a bigger internal storage.
30. dimas (Posts: 1967; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
It's not yet final so the article should not be a big deal. Who knows, Sony might offer a 128gb device with expandable storage. That would be cool right?
34. Kruze (Posts: 1285; Member since: 30 Dec 2014)
You do know that they could actually put the SD card slot in the same tray as the SIM card slot right?