How to download and install iOS 8 beta (even if you’re not a registered developer)
In order to be a registered dev, though, you need to pay Apple’s annual $100 fee (we do recommend it, if you want to get serious about making apps and publishing them on the App Store). That might be a bit too much for those curious folks who really only want an early sneak peek at iOS 8. Luckily, there’s a solution for them as well.
1. Apple developer account (a work-around is below).
2. UDID number (see how to learn yours below).
3. Device model check (identify your iPhone model here | iPad model here)
iOS 8 device compatibility:
How to get a developer registration slot without paying the $100 annual developer fee
What about those misfortunate folks who don’t have a developer profile? Luckily, there are cheaper solutions to get a slot on a developer’s list, and there are actually multiple services selling such slots. IMZDL (external link) is among the most popular services, and it sells slots for $8 apiece.
In order to get a slot, you first need to learn your iPhone’s unique UDID. There are two ways to do this:
1. Connect your iPhone to a computer via USB, open iTunes, go to the iPhone page, and click on the serial number to get your UDID.
2. Or download the free UDID Sender app (external link) and send the UDID to yourself via email.
Now, you can get on with the installation with a service like IMZDL. You’ll need to type in the UDID you just learned, and wait for a confirmation. This may take quite some time these days when everyone will be trying to download the iOS 8 beta, so be patient.
Apple’s iOS 8 beta goes up for download on the day of the announcement, on June 2nd, and those of you who read no the same day might need to wait a bit more for the links to appear. Mirror links will also appear at the IMZDL web page.
How to install iOS 8 on your device
Apple's iOS 8
2. Update iTunes to the latest version (if you’re not on it).
3. Connect the iPhone to a computer via USB and back it up via iTunes.
4. Download the iOS 8 Beta for your iPhone / iPad model.
Hold alt/option on Mac when you click Restore
Hold Shift On Windows when you click Restore.
6. Find the .ipsw file you downloaded on your computer and select it.
7. Finish the installation.
8. You can also restore your device from the backed up state, if you want to.
And voila, you're done!
For the hesitant: read Apple's instructions
Finally, be patient and read Apple’s guidelines carefully, before starting with the installation. Here’s what the guidelines read:
- Be sure to backup your devices using the latest version iTunes or through iCloud backup prior to installing iOS 8 beta. After installing iOS 8 beta, you can restore your device using either the latest version of iTunes or through your iCloud backup.
- This version of iOS is intended only for installation on development devices registered with Apple’s Developer Program. Attempting to install this version of iOS in an unauthorized manner could put your device in an unusable state, which could necessitate an out of warranty repair.
- Devices updated to iOS 8 beta can not be restored to earlier versions of iOS. Only registered development devices will be able to upgrade to future beta releases and the final iOS software.
- To determine the proper download for your iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, or iPhone 5, click here. To determine the proper download for your iPad Air, iPad mini, or iPad (4th generation), click here.
- You can now submit bug reports directly to Apple’s bug tracking system using the built-in Bug Reporter app. You can find Bug Reporter in Notification Center in iOS 8 beta.
- Use of Family Sharing in iOS 8 beta is subject to the Family Sharing terms. Learn more about Family Sharing here.
- Xcode 6 beta, iOS 8 beta, and OS X Yosemite Developer Preview are pre-release software. Your use is subject to and licensed only under the terms and conditions of the iOS Developer Program License Agreement (“iOS PLA”), including any applicable consent to collect diagnostic data set forth therein. If you have not agreed to the iOS PLA, you are not permitted to use this software.
1. apple4never (Posts: 971; Member since: 08 May 2013)
sounds pretty simple but how about downgrading, I'm guessing just hold down alt/option or shift and find the lower iOS ipsw?
21. macsimleonard21 (Posts: 5; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
Hello guys, ios 8 beta 4 has arrived! I would suggest you to register the udid ( if you didn't do it until now) on this website freeudid.com ( its number 2 on google!) , its fast & cheap , only 4.99$ !
2. Saamic (Posts: 119; Member since: 20 Feb 2012)
Now you can upgrade your iPhone to version 2.3.3 Gingerbread :-D
6. bucky (Posts: 1561; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
You spend an awful lot of time in iPhone threads. Slightly insecure?
9. quesoesgrande (Posts: 217; Member since: 03 Aug 2011)
Considering the fact that we're trolling each other over the phones we prefer, none of us have lives.
11. kryme (Posts: 142; Member since: 24 Oct 2013)
apple was like lets just join them.... android with ios on top..... so now we have touchwiz sense and ios.....
4. pavsidhu (Posts: 97; Member since: 20 May 2014)
Instead of paying, you could just wait a few days until someone uploads the ispw?
7. Napalm_3nema (Posts: 1262; Member since: 14 Jun 2013)
The IPSW will only give you the file, but it doesn't allow authentication against the iOS Dev database. This means that you can flash it, but before it finishes, when it checks with Apple, you aren't in the list and your phone gets stuck between 7 and 8.
10. kikloo (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Jun 2014)
Don't you guys read the article properly ? It clearly says that in order to get UDID, just connect your phone with iTunes and click on the serial number of the phone in iTunes and it will reveal your UDID.
12. udidzone (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)
You can purchase UDID activation from UDIDZone - you can use coupon code "reddit2014" and you will get $2, making the total $6 - Instant and safe!
14. johnbalc (Posts: 1; Member since: 04 Jun 2014)
Register your UDID and install updates here:
freeudidactivation [dot] com
15. cyrben (Posts: 2; Member since: 05 Jun 2014)
Hi, I can add your UDIDs on my account for 5$ per device (via PayPal at email@example.com)
Then send me an email with transaction number and your UDID and I'll add you as fast as I can.
You can contact me if you have any questions
17. paulac (Posts: 2; Member since: 07 Jun 2014)
for iOS 8 beta send to paypal: firstname.lastname@example.org 5$ place UDID in paypal payment comment
immediate adding to Apple developer account.
18. noahglover1 (Posts: 1; Member since: 10 Jun 2014)
how fast? and how do i know you're going to do it?
19. cyrben (Posts: 2; Member since: 05 Jun 2014)
please contact me at email@example.com, I'll register your UDID.
20. AZ_USERPC (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Jul 2014)
Contact me if you want to activate your UDID userpc1991@ googlemail dot com . just $3 (payment method bitcoin )
I activate first 5 email i receive for free
22. markocr (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Aug 2014)
If anyone needs to activate your UDID contact me on firstname.lastname@example.org
23. macsimleonard21 (Posts: 5; Member since: 22 Jul 2014)
Did anyone noticed fastestiphoneunlock.com/ and doulci-activator.com does now have a download link to their updated tool which really bypasses iphone iCloud now??
I would like to download it but they say there is no carrier fix yet but they promise in a next update,people are saying that bypass did work and the iphone did not reboot and they were able to use music and internet! Have anyone tested it yet?