Block diagram of the 20 MP Toshiba T4KA7 camera sensor in the HTC One M9
HTC One M9 camera tip suggests a 20 MP Toshiba sensor with proprietary pixel design
1. LetsBeHonest (Posts: 1344; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
Hope its a great camera for a flagship with proper software optimization, also with low light photography that matches to ultrapixel.
7. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
The ultrapixel anyway provided a pretty bad low-light shots. Many of the shots with a lighting source such as a lamp post had terrible over-exposing issues.
Also, the camera lens was cheap.
I do agree that M8 was better in low-light compaed to sammy phones but that's nothing to boast about. Nokia, Sony and iPhones can take much better low light shots with smaller pixels.
10. Hyperreal (Posts: 223; Member since: 08 Oct 2013)
you are wrong. PA "camera tests" are terrible. had One M7 and Xperia Z3C and Z3C low light looks like total crap compared to One M7 camera.
14. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
I had the M7 for a week( exchanged with my friend). The dynamic range in low light was terrible.
With right settings( not the auto mode), the Z3/Z3C can achieve better results.
2. Kumar123 (Posts: 485; Member since: 15 Jan 2015)
"Sony's coming with a new sensor for the Xperia Z3, most likely the 20 MP IMX230". I think you meant to say Z4 not Z3. Sony not even started the mass production of IMX230.
22. TypicalGeek (Posts: 131; Member since: 19 Feb 2015)
Yeah, they got it wrong.
On the side note, it may be one of the reasons Z4 launched is postponed.
26. rency0722 (Posts: 155; Member since: 12 Jun 2013)
Z4 as they should say, and it is 21 megapixel, different from the usual 20.7 megapixel IMX220 from Z1-Z3.
And Sony already started producing them, exclusively for Z4. Just like they announced Exmor R for mobile and Exmor RS for mobile way back times of Xperia Arc and Xperia T respectively.
3. bendgate (unregistered)
It was a stupid decision to put 4 ultrafail camera on M7 and a big idiocy to do it again with M8. But better late than never. Got another great choice this year.
5. WarMaster (Posts: 3; Member since: 25 Feb 2015)
Loved the ultrapixel concept (bigger censor pixels = more light == better photos) but software was horrible at taking advantage of the hardware :-(
Hopefully this censor works well, otherwise it simply is too many weird unconventional cameras in a row for public who wants middle of the road hardware.
8. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
It was not the software, the sensor and the lens itself had issues. It had terrible dynamic range and the lens had issues with purple fringing( not purple hue).
However, the software was terrible too.
27. nebula (Posts: 515; Member since: 20 Feb 2015)
What were the sensor and lens issues ? Can you provide link?
28. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
It's too hard to find the link now.
See MKBHD review. He mentions the terrible dynamic range. And google search for HTC one purple fringing.
31. nebula (Posts: 515; Member since: 20 Feb 2015)
Not able to find link about lens and sensor. I just watch his full review on M7 and could find where he was bashing dynamic range. His review called "HTC One Review!" I own M7 for two years now .Apart from camera is not great I would not call it terrible dynamic range. It's a very strong word. It's rather inconsistent and more dependent on the lighting situation than others but believe me you can also get nice images. Fringing is there ..dahh...There is simply chain of hardware maybe design too and soft problems down the chain HTC didn't address. I was hoping they would push that technology even further and introduce UP like 8MP shooter but....anyway let's see what the new sensor brings on the table and those square pixel.
32. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Watch the m8 review of MKBHD.
34. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Did you really watch the video:
Go to 7:20
35. nebula (Posts: 515; Member since: 20 Feb 2015)
Do you realize we were talking about M7? Yes I did. So same to say about M7. Inconsistency the right word.
36. TyrionLannister (unregistered)
Sorry but I meant M8 the whole time. I don't know about M7 but I've used it about 1.5 years ago and the camera was terrible. The unit I had also had a purple hue in low light and it was a pretty widespread problem.
37. nebula (Posts: 515; Member since: 20 Feb 2015)
I am using it on a daily basis while it's not stellar it's definitely not terrible( at least my unit). Low light quality was not great to be honest.I t does a job better than many other cameras BUT there are some colour artifacts , purple fringe for instance.
6. TheGunnyPT (Posts: 252; Member since: 12 Feb 2015)
Can't wait to see some comparisons of this with Note 4 on camera
21. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
True I dont even know why I bother replying haha. This site is infected with trolls.
30. Chuck007 (Posts: 1035; Member since: 02 Mar 2014)
True I dont even know why I bother replying haha. This site is infected with *paid* trolls.
12. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1989; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
Too bad the front still has the old ultra pixel, naah...
17. ngo2dd (Posts: 896; Member since: 08 Jul 2011)
And it going to better then all the other front camera.
16. lallolu (Posts: 453; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
Good they have finally stopped their ultrapixel nonsense. It is probably time to use HTC one more time.
18. TechNerd (Posts: 66; Member since: 03 May 2014)
I doubt that toshiba 20Mp will have any advantages to sony 20Mp
20. NateAdam8 (Posts: 388; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
What's up with that extra capacitive key on the bottom?
23. Rhinoface (Posts: 176; Member since: 05 Dec 2014)
I haven't seen four keys since the Droid RAZR.
24. Predator1701 (Posts: 108; Member since: 28 Oct 2014)
I don't care about megapixels we wan't OIS and a great sensor, now thats a winning combination.
25. Phonecall01 (unregistered)
Smartphone camera battle's gonna be crazy this year. S6, M9 and so many others. Not to mention the next Flagship Lumia... Bring it !!!
29. Genza (Posts: 537; Member since: 12 Mar 2014)
I don't see 4K video, real-time HDR or Phase detectection AF on thosiba sensor specifications plus there is no news about any kind of stabilization.
It seems that HTC will make the same mistakes as the previous year.