Apple to bump the iPhone 5S' screen to 4.3-inches?
According to undisclosed sources from the semiconductor industry, the release date was originally set for somewhere between September and October. Whether this, and several other delays will cause Apple to miss that mark is to be seen. No statement has, as of yet, been given by neither Apple nor its supplier partners.
As always, the nature of such rumors requires a salty approach. That being said, a bump in the screen department has definitely been among some of the more requested upgrades for the upcoming flagship. Who knows, perhaps Apple has finally budged under customer pressure?
Regardless, we're very much intrigued by this (possible) turn of events, and we know you are, too. So make sure you lay it out in the comment section below!
1. bucky (Posts: 1340; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
That's my absolute perfect screen size. But it's not happening.
18. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Never know Bucky, who saw the bump up to 4.0 coming? I was fully expecting 3.5 again.
29. HASHTAG (unregistered)
Okay, darkkjedii. That's just an asinine comment. You must think really low of Apple to not see the 4-inch coming.
37. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I meant at the time they did it, I wasn't expecting it.
42. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
I absolutely saw it coming. I predicted back in 2011 that they could increase the iPhone screen from 3.5" to 3.95" without changing the pixel density, just by increasing the screen height. Which is exactly what they did.
34. bucky (Posts: 1340; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
I can't see them changing another screen size up in 1 year unfortunately. If they just bumped it to 4.3 last year it would have been much better for the long term. I'm ok with 4 but I 4.3 would make it perfect
38. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Would be nice, but is cool too. It's the software I'm more concerned with.
44. Googler (Posts: 813; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
I don't see it either, mainly because of the impact it will have on the apps. How many still have black borders to them right now?
47. willard12 (Posts: 733; Member since: 04 Jul 2012)
Years ago, Steve Jobs said 3.5 was perfect. They should just go 4.5 and stop.
56. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Dude... you called it DK!!!
Now I'm really looking forward to this phone!
57. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Me too, especially after finding out about all the gestures in iOS 7 iPad and iPhone betas. To me it speaks of a larger screen
68. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Absolutely... The one and only thing holding me back from getting a new iPhone was the screen size. if this rumor pans out it will really give Apple the boost they need.
I've had the pleasure of using iOS 7 and its absolutely beautiful! My only complaint is that it is very sluggish. I am assuming that this will be resoolved once it is released into production
71. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
The sluggishness is basically from being in beta. The kinks will be worked out by launch day. Get ready for an all around great device, even better than the awesome ip5
76. tedkord (Posts: 4493; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Don't be so sure. The sluggishness could be the result of true multitasking. IPhones, other than GPU, hang at the lower end of specs. Less memory, slower clocked CPU, etc... Multitasking benefits from these things. It may be that iOS 7 will never run smoothly on the iPhone 5 and below.
27. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5599; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Quite true on the 'But it's not happening' part. A screen size change is a major design change, which doesn't grace the S editions. The fingerprint scanner is as adventurous as Apple is going to be on the 5S.
39. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Quite iNsightful, as usual, and points are well taken. The reAliTy is, the only way the iPhone 5S is getting a bigger screen is if Apple comes out with a special adapter to connect the 5S to the iPad MiNi. Or, they could always use that ThunderDud Cable to connect it to their HDTV (if they have one)!!
28. ghaniosman (Posts: 64; Member since: 06 Jun 2013)
They would prefer to die rather than bumping the screen size ;-)
30. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Absolute hoax S-editions aren't supposed to have significant design changes. Well so that's not really happening.
54. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Using the S4 and Note2 and Htc One, and then going back to iP5 looks so small and uneasy. Scrolling is a knightmare. It takes 5 swipes on iPhone to browse down, where in S4 it takes 2swipes to reach the end.
62. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Those iDud users can only dream. Most of them have vehemently bashed anything over 4 inches, even most of writers here on PhoneArena; claiming anything over 4 inches is too big, cumbersome, weighs down their pockets and they just don't need anything that big. But, WAIT, the minute Apple announces that they are going to increase the screen size to 4.3 inches with iPhone 9, they will all marvel at how innovative Apple is. Meanwhile, by then, my Galaxy Note 4 will be up to 8 inches and the Galaxy S6 up to 6.5 inches, respectively!!
70. bucky (Posts: 1340; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
Do you ever say anything of value or are you generally always butthurt when an article is talking about ios?
How old are you when you get so consistently offended by the iPhone?
72. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I'll answer for him Bucky. Anything of value: NO
BUTTHURT about iOS: YES
77. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I'm sorry if iCause your butt to hurt, I realize your only used to 4 inches. I'll try to be more gentil next time.
75. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
No Papinyc is not butthurt™
He is speaking of truth!
Ios is for dummies
Android for smart techy geeks
Android is the best and thst's all we will need©
91. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
Android for arrogant elitists
Android is only OS for the techie 1%
Only average people buy iOS
Average people should be banned from Androids
Android über alles!™
80. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Bucky, notice instead of an intelligent answer to your question, he and that simpleton Troll chose more stupidity. I'd say your questions been answered bro.
89. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
My response was not to him, it was to you. I hope you're not one of those bus drivers who types and talks on his cell phone while driving, thereby, putting in danger the lives of so many innocent people including your own flock.
94. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You're boring now dude. Please go away, you fail to amuse me anymore.
98. Kayle (banned) (Posts: 40; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
Yet you keep replying...looks like you're the butthurt one LOL
100. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
lol ..... +1
It hurts so bad [for him] … ouch!!
2. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Yes, please! 4.3 inches is just perfect.
14. ianbbaa (Posts: 196; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
yes its perfect..and already here on couple of devices 2 or more years..so, who needs an iphone with 4,3??? wont be worth the money as any other iphone introduced in the past...
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
While you were busy making that jackass statement, I guess you didn't notice, it's not 4,3, it's 4.3. You don't need an iPhone, cause judging by your system of measurements you wouldn't know how to operate it...Einstein. Start your sentences with capital letters too...Einstein.
32. HASHTAG (unregistered)
I'm sure the "," was just a small typing error he made. No need to bash someone over a common error.
40. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Ha, you should read his hashes dude. When someone bashes Troll he usually deserves it, same here.
51. HASHTAG (unregistered)
Lol. I wasn't aware because I just always try to avoid the trolls while on this site.
58. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yeah bro, he's relentless in his hatred of apple/iOS. Thought I'd just give him a little jab lol.
63. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Actually, dimwit, certain countries use commas in place of periods for monetary units and/or measurements. You might know that if you weren't limited to that bus route you drive!! May I have a transfer, please???
67. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Your insults have become stale dude. They at least used give me a giggle :( . Now lets try another one, emphasis on making us PA'ers laugh this time.
92. ianbbaa (Posts: 196; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
darkjedi - apple needs even more customers like you...i see from your comments that you are really sick man, you start as first one to call people jackass etc...please, visit your nearest doctor to give you something to treat your desease...i think you eat a lot of apples so...
in my country we do not use "." for 4.3 but "," 4,3 so sorry you EINSTEIN_No.2
101. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
It's not really his fault he's an iGnoramus, blame his Pōtātō Head parents.
104. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Dude you're all over PA going off on me LMAO. I'm loving it, I poke and prod and you deliver. Here, check it out. I'm gonna say a word, and from there you insult me, my parents, my fiancé, my son, and my job. Ready here goes.... Car.
106. PAPINYC (Posts: 2237; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
And, yet, YOU respond to my every command, beck and call!!?? Why is that? And, you constantly upload a new profile picture because you hunger for [ANY] validation!! So, now you've gone shirtless in hopes of proving that you're not the 70% of water weight I claim you to be but, only wind up proving that you are NOT the luscious dark candy you think you are but, merely, a grotesque mass of flab. Please hurry up and get married so that you can go on your honeymoon and crash on your way there. And, please don't have anymore Ügly babies; there are too many fÜgly people in the world as it is already!!
107. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Nope that sucked PAP. you tried, I'll give you that...but sadly your insults officially lag. I've grown bored with you, sadly this will be my last response. You, and your three flunkies, Troll, Doyle69 not Dorothy, and Kayle enjoy. What's the use in inviting your insults if you can't make me laugh? Peace out homie. That last part was ammo, in case you missed it.
66. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Hanging bro, where've you been? Hope all is well.
82. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Yep, all good, bro. I was pretty busy with the admission stuff at an engineering school these days.
88. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Can't wait till xperiadroid chimes in lol. Your give him the blues man.
103. Kayle (banned) (Posts: 40; Member since: 26 Jun 2013)
How cute! You two should go on a date. You take a walk down One Infinite Loop, maybe browse the Apple gift shop and giggle at all the shiny phones. Then you can kiss each other goodnight over FaceTime :)
105. darkkjedii (Posts: 10467; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Awwww man. No lol's or green thumbs for that yet. Here's one of each for the baby. Lol and a +1
78. tedkord (Posts: 4493; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Thats what I thought when I had my thunderbolt. Thought anything bigger would be to big. Now after my S3, I couldn't go lower.
26. TechBizJP08 (Posts: 495; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
4.3 inches and 6 rows of icons will be longer again.. yey :)
4. ankiipankii (Posts: 35; Member since: 21 Jun 2013)
hope it's true ,definately it will gonna be my 1st iphone
5. mishooo111 (Posts: 30; Member since: 22 Nov 2012)
4.3 is just ideal, plus apples slim sexy design, plus ios 7...
man i would surely buy that phone
6. tango_charlie (Posts: 75; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
Every year the same rumor. Iphone gets delayed because of this, delayed because of that, but then gets announced in time.