Apple iPhone SE price in Europe is a shock: nearly 40% higher than in the US, starting from €490
11. sgodsell (Posts: 3247; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
In Canada the iPhone SE starts at $579 for the 16 gb model.
33. jove39 (Posts: 1819; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
that's around 10% higher even after currency conversion.
53. j2001m (Posts: 2789; Member since: 28 Apr 2014)
The cut backs have started for this phone, it uses iPhone 6 or iPhone 5s Touch ID sensor, I.e. It's not using the 6s ver, I.e. The testers was easy able to tell it was crap slower when they used the phone, so have they cut back in the HD and the ram or under clocked the a9, we have no idea, tot his thing gets taken to parts by ifixit
54. sgodsell (Posts: 3247; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
The Canadian dollar is currently at 76 cents. In any case this SE is not worth $579. There is less expensive devices that offer a better bang for your buck.
57. jalebi2000 (Posts: 176; Member since: 01 Mar 2015)
Nit to mention the taxes on electronics is much lower in Canada then the us
64. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
Lower tax rate in Canada, yet still more expensive there than in the US? WOW.
68. jeeta444 (Posts: 154; Member since: 24 Mar 2014)
In india iphone SE 16gb model price is 39k inr, while iphone 6 is available for 33-34k and 6s is sold for 43k for 16gigs.
14. maherk (Posts: 3420; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
"A tiny phone for them tiny hands", I am Donald Drumpf and I approve this message.
76. Good-Is-Better (Posts: 74; Member since: 12 Nov 2015)
Donald Trump the escape goat. People have spoiled the world, now they are blaming Trump citing it.
82. gaming64 (Posts: 234; Member since: 22 Mar 2016)
I don't even know if I wanna work in America anymore.
60. techspace (Posts: 1036; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
So long as you don't take a selfie with a snake.
74. nedooo (Posts: 59; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Only if your self esteem is close to zero, and IQ just a bit over...
2. Arch_Fiend (Posts: 2059; Member since: 03 Oct 2015)
Damn what a rip off. If I didn't live in the US I would never buy the iPhone.
32. raky_b (Posts: 102; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
you could say same for a cars, gasoline, clothing, food...anyway, your spreading of democracy, colonization and ussage of other countries recorses are giving you easier life.
you are not a first, nor last empire that do same.
37. xondk (Posts: 1205; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Not entirely true, if a product is cheaper all around it will be cheaper everywhere even with various different taxes and such, the problem lies if the product is given a special offer in only one region, which would seem to be the case here because taxes aren't going to make that big a difference when the difference on iphone 6s and such doesn't have that great a difference.
62. Arch_Fiend (Posts: 2059; Member since: 03 Oct 2015)
Insurance and Healthcare are scams, why should we have to pay for that s**t. Oh I know why because the world is shit.
3. RobMerrill92 (Posts: 5; Member since: 21 Jul 2015)
I wonder if the amount of corporate regulations in the EU have anything to do with the higher price?
23. Trakker (Posts: 283; Member since: 11 Feb 2016)
No its the exact opposite where regulations effectively stop monopolies and allowing competition.
34. raky_b (Posts: 102; Member since: 02 Jul 2014)
nope....no regulations,just VAT (20-25% depending of country) and inport taxes. plus that Apple do not sell their products directly (they do not have stores, just "aproved partners"), so some sellers must take their share.
anyway, at least with Apple, we are getting international guarantee...unlike in case of buying Xiaomi and similar cheneese brands.
46. zacsaturday (Posts: 202; Member since: 09 May 2014)
0% for Luxembourg and Ireland, lucky ba*&ards.
71. Cicero (Posts: 855; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
That's why Apple did not pay a dime for their sales in Europe (UK still IN). Because of that 0% in Ireland.
5. Wiencon (Posts: 1775; Member since: 06 Aug 2014)
Damn Apple...seriously f.ck you, I know taxes are higher here but you still have big profit for every phone.
Screw this I'm waiting for 7, then SE will have better price
19. Hama22 (Posts: 33; Member since: 17 Jul 2015)
Oh reading the first part of your comment I thought you won't buy it but looks like u still will,BTW how much does the Z5C cost where you live?
29. Wiencon (Posts: 1775; Member since: 06 Aug 2014)
Z5C starts at 1999PLN while 5S at 1600PLN, I hope SE won't go higher than 2200, for that price I can buy it
27. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3794; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
I doubt there will be a price drop since the 5SE and 7 are for customers. After a year you'll see a price drop, just like you do with the other iPhone models.
38. xondk (Posts: 1205; Member since: 25 Mar 2014)
Yeah, seems this isn't as much an issue of it being a cheap iphone but they selling it cheaper in a region, tax and import difference isn't that high on the normal products they make, so why would it be here if it wasn't because of a special discount for US only?
48. cheetah2k (Posts: 1507; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Apple doesn't give a s**t. their response is f.uck the consumer, so long as you buy the products and add to their bottom line.
6. Jimrod (Posts: 995; Member since: 22 Sep 2014)
Isn't that always the way with everything? :\ Also remember that US prices don't include tax...
12. Jimrod (Posts: 995; Member since: 22 Sep 2014)
Actually it starts at £359 in the UK, -20% tax = 287.20 = $413.04 Not bad really.
55. Macready (Posts: 843; Member since: 08 Dec 2014)
Classic math mistake. £359 = 120%, thus 100% =359/1.2=299. You multiplied by 0.8 instead, which is not correct.
In dollars that's $430.
73. Jimrod (Posts: 995; Member since: 22 Sep 2014)
Never been great at margins, at I used to be National Sales Manager... :D
49. cheetah2k (Posts: 1507; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Absolutely hands down the best high end small phone in the business.
The specs of the SE are worse than even an Oppo F1, which I picked up as a spare phone for AUD$279. Where as the SE here in AUS will go for $679.
8. adsg48 (Posts: 60; Member since: 18 Apr 2015)
hmm...so in India it will be sold at least 60% higher than US pricing
15. FReDcc (Posts: 56; Member since: 11 Jun 2015)
No..... Indian price is 30,000rs and that's 450 $
9. janis (Posts: 275; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
i would price all iphones over 1k any country, ifans will buy all that sh..,. at any price, so why not make more money.
10. AlikMalix (Posts: 5084; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
You can think the EU for the wonderful taxing and regulations. Shame really.
13. johanbiff (Posts: 388; Member since: 31 Mar 2015)
the s7 is the same as in the us. 699:- why is apple any diffrent?
22. darkkjedii (Posts: 19786; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yeah, cause no other for profit company is greedy lol. Now hurry up with the Apple is greedier, and evil argument...brat.
39. MrElectrifyer (limited) (Posts: 2192; Member since: 21 Oct 2014)
I understand humans have a tendency to try and simplify things, but you're sounding very ignoramus simplifying it that far.
Greed varies, if you haven't noticed all these years. You see a product that costs say $200 to build selling for $350, and another $200 product selling for $800 without offering anything to justify the price tag, besides the branding. I wouldn't call the first a greedy company, that's simply making a slight profit. The second, now that's extremely greedy, as is apple. Turning a blind eye to all of them and thinking "they're making profit so they're greedy" is just ignoramus.
43. AlikMalix (Posts: 5084; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
Do we have to go back to the basics of supply and demand? When a profuct is more in demand than the other - the manufacturer can chsrge more. But the product will not sell well unless it's a great product.
Now this is where you copy paste your ignorant "Apple marketing BS" remarks. So to save the stupid argument with you (AGAIN!), I'll repeat - marking can only go so far until people realize it's a bad product with a great commercial - iPhones keep selling more and more every year, even their bad years like recently still puts iPhones as the best selling handset - that means people like what apple makes!!!
Save me the trouble and don't reply, just read and appreciate what you learned today, again.
58. Macready (Posts: 843; Member since: 08 Dec 2014)
So what is it, tax plus regulations or Apple taking what it can because of supply and demand? Instead of contradicting yourself, make up your mind.
63. AlikMalix (Posts: 5084; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
Oh wow, I guess I do have to spell it out...
Apple does not have to eat the cost of tax and regulations because of demand for iPhones - which is strong as usual.
Samsung chooses to eat the cost of tax and regulations because it is trying to raise demand for its device.
I'm not contradicting myself - it's both. Try reading it twice if the first time you had trouble reading.
26. AlikMalix (Posts: 5084; Member since: 16 Jul 2014)
Because Apple doesn't need to compete as hard as Samsung. I don't know. But it's what Samsung decided to eat - if you think that it's because Samsung is a good guy - you're fooling yourself. Everything is priced strategically to sell the most and profit. People just find more value in Apple products regardless what you anti Apple bandwagon thinks.
If iPhones didn't sell well - Apple would be on defencive as well.
77. meanestgenius (Posts: 9751; Member since: 28 May 2014)
Apple doesn't have to "compete as hard as Samsung" because Apple is the only one making iOS devices. Samsung has every other Android OEM, including Google, to compete with.
I guarantee you that if there were as many OEM's making iOS devices as there are Android devices, Apple would be in the same predicament.