Apple iPhone SE final rumors: boxy, iPhone 5s design, but Apple A9 and new 12MP camera with 4K video
1. NoToFanboys (Posts: 1111; Member since: 03 Oct 2015)
iPhone 5S inspired? Hopefully, because that thing is BEAUTIFUL.
iPhone 6/6S design is fugly, I can't even imagine it in a small 4" screened body.
3. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
Beautiful too. Though the $450 price tag is a steep.
And is there proper cooling methology in a small 4-inch phone without enough space, along that beastly A9 chipset?
It will heat up alot under graphic load like gaming, I guess.
5. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 897; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
The A9 chipset is fabricated at 14nm FinFet, so it won't have a higher or even lower power consumption compared to its predecessors.
10. Adreno (banned) (Posts: 755; Member since: 12 Mar 2016)
I'm talking of the possible heat temprature of the iPhone SE, not the chipset's power consumption.
Are you aware that, with more space, there can be more effective cooling, like liquid or thermal gel?
That's why the 5.5" Xperia Z5 Premium lasted about 30 minutes longer than the 5.2" Xperia Z5 in 4K video shooting endurance test.
In fact, the 5.5" iPhone 6S Plus overheats less than the 4.7" iPhone 6S.
Why is it so? Because larger phones do provide more space for a better and more effective cooling!
iPhone SE will heat up more than the iPhone 6S under 30 minutes of GPU load of a same game launched on both iPhones at the same time.
14. S-R-K (banned) (Posts: 304; Member since: 15 Mar 2016)
Who Dam cares about heating. Power and torque is utmost. Justify the heat for performance. Just use a cover. Simple.
17. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 897; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Almost everyone care about heat. Don't think you can treat a smartphone the same way as desktop PC, smartphone aren't designed to do a sustained peak performance because the lack of active cooling system.
20. S-R-K (banned) (Posts: 304; Member since: 15 Mar 2016)
Let me resolve the big epic issue.
Grade 905 pure premium extreme grade stainless steel needs to be used instead of cheap rubbish metal. You could even use the Intel i5 on your smartphone, ever needed to worry for heat. Along with liquid nitrogen fluid. But be prepared to pay double price almost.
21. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 897; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
That's not quite a good joke, Arte-8800.
16. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 897; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Maybe you're right. But Apple doesn't need to implement an advanced cooling method on the A9, l'm sure they'll just underclock it.
24. Nopers (Posts: 132; Member since: 01 Jun 2015)
I'm going to guess that they will clock it lower maybe somewhere between the clock speed of the low power mode and full power mode on the 6s
31. miket1737 (Posts: 2366; Member since: 17 Mar 2013)
No, GPU won't have to work as hard at the much lower resolution and also Apple understands device thermals quite well. Highly doubt it. They don't need to run the A9 GPU at same clock speed either as the bigger iPhones to achieve same performance since it will most likely be running at that 5S screen resolution
11. S-R-K (banned) (Posts: 304; Member since: 15 Mar 2016)
Definitely with 1gb Ram. Epic fail. Price is reasonable. If it had 2gb Ram, definitely would buy it. Love the boxy oblong shape, rather than the fugly ip6.
25. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1371; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Yes cause iPhone 6 with 1gb is pure s**t right? Its iOS, its ram management is on epic levels
7. phonehome (Posts: 486; Member since: 19 Dec 2014)
I have a 6S and it seems quite small compared to smartphones I see others using.
Is the 6S really TOO big for many for whom would instead opt for a 4.0 inch display?
Apple may lose a good buck by rolling the dice with this.
26. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 1371; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
5S is still selling like crazy, there are many women with smaller hands who appreciate the 4 inch screen. Apple wants to keep selling, there is a big market. Also it having 6S specs but being much cheaper than 6S will make many other who want to buy a new iPhone buy it even if it has smaller screen than they wanted,
8. refillable (Posts: 1044; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
Definitely not for me, but as how compact today's five-inchers are, I think this phone is pointless for most people.
19. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 897; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
Nowadays, most women prefer phablets than an ultra mini like this one.
33. KetchupsMustard (Posts: 22; Member since: 18 Dec 2014)
Not true, I know a couple women that traded down in size because the phablet was hurting their hands.
9. carlemillward (unregistered)
Well worth the price, hopefully the 32/64 GB version is not more than $550. I have been looking for a 4 inch phone for daily use and 16GB is a no go for me.
13. GreenMan (Posts: 913; Member since: 09 Nov 2015)
carlemillward A Lumia 430 will serve you just fine and out costs just peanuts! I bought it unlocked for approx $52... And am about to update it to latest Windows 10 Mobile. What else?
15. S-R-K (banned) (Posts: 304; Member since: 15 Mar 2016)
An entry level budget rubbish phone. This iP5se is a midrange +. If it had the Lumia 8series specs on a compact size then big yes.
I've read rumors that the S7 mini will come with the same specs as the S7, but with 4.5inch screen.....
27. nctx77 (Posts: 1697; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
The S7 can't even keep up with the 6s/6s+. Go to YouTube. This 4 in her will have the same specs pushing a smaller screen. I think you might want to stop looking at paper work and see real life test.
18. Podrick (Posts: 450; Member since: 19 Aug 2015)
16 GB memory and 1GB Ram in 2016= FAIL! And 450$ for that?
22. aasifmaqsood (Posts: 25; Member since: 30 Sep 2015)
really PA.. A9 chip phone for 450 and A8 for 550??
it will be 550 and 6 will 450..
29. nctx77 (Posts: 1697; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
iPhone 6/6 plus will be discontinued soon and replaced by the 6s/6s+. At that point, they will all fall in line with each other and the only difference will be screen size and the 4 incher will look like the 5/5s.
30. oozz009 (Posts: 517; Member since: 22 Jun 2015)
I have an iPhone 5S and since couple of months ago I now also have an iPad Air 2 that has 2gb of RAM. I have always had the habit to leave so many desktop tabs open in the background on safari an opera mini that I use on both devices. In the end I don't get to see much difference between the 1 and 2gb between my two devices, mostly because they can be used so quickly. My point is, even if I had 3 or even 4gb of ram I would still use so quickly that the difference would be tremendously small to notice. It's the chip that matters the most and makes the most difference in performance, RAM is of secondary importance and people should not worry about that.
32. QUINTESSENCE (Posts: 25; Member since: 29 Sep 2015)
its just the 4'' display + A9c
but same looks of the ip6
34. Coconut00 (Posts: 463; Member since: 13 Jan 2015)
Hopefully 2 GB of RAM. I think I'd rather have A8+2GB RAM than A9+1GB RAM.