What upgrades could propel the Apple Vision pro from an expensive toy to a mainstream utility?

Join the discussion
Ilia Temelkov
Ilia Temelkov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 2mo ago

Apple finally released Vision Pro which they really want us to call a spatial computer and to believe it ushers us into a new era of computing. However, we all know this is a fancy virtual reality headset which may be one of the most advanced on the market but it doesn’t seem to redefine what we already know about this type of devices. The reason, of course, is that it doesn’t seem like Apple has figured out what can make Vision Pro a must-have device, like smartphones or laptops.

Unfortunately, this is not a problem only for Apple and for most users the expensive VR headsets are mostly expensive toys. Some of the best apps are either video games or immersive movie-like experiences. Which raises the question of what can make VR super important for a lot of people.

What do you think will be the killer app for Vision Pro and VR in general? Is it more immersion for meetings, better entertainment and connecting with people? Or will it be about new forms of education and healthcare? What would make you buy a headset if you already haven’t done it?

• 2mo ago

I wouldn't even consider buying a goggle headset until I see "them" become a necessary tool in the evolution of gathering information and computing. And I meant "them" as I wouldn't buy into any overhyped, overpriced Apple product, especially right out of the starting gate.

The trouble with such devices is they pull wearers inward, further insulating them from others around them. I can just see some dummies getting run over because they thought it cool to wear one when they shouldn't have.

• 2mo ago

I own quest 3... it does have certain value, in my opinion. I absolutely love fitness apps, especially Supernatural. Gaming... not so much... Meetings in virtual space? Meh... Avatars that look ridiculous? Another downer. However, I do see a potential for some business use. Apple created possibly a marvel of engineering here... The drawback is that extremely expensive unit that no one needs, businesses included. As much as innovation they put in, it has been pulled back by its weight and power consumptions. The design decisions are over the top in some ways and completely lacking in others, such as external battery, I absolutely agree that this is an overhyped, extremely overpriced and under-engineered product. The future is not here yet. "ready player one" anyone? We are already losing interactions in person. People don't know how to behave in real life situations, always hiding behind their screens. What is the actual purpose of this product?

• 2mo ago

I think electronic passthrough has its limitations.

1. Resolution and movement vision can never match reality.

2. Non optical passthrough can never be allowed for activities like skiing, driving etc.

3. Effects of screen on eyesight and fatigue isn't researched well.

4. Most other technical devices, eg phones, are made considering optical vision in mind.

Apple has to take the lead towards optical passthrough.

Also, fingers based gesture as an input is, tiring in my opinion.

Eye and face detection is too intrusive. Imaging paywalls or ads popping up wherever you are looking at!

• 2mo ago

Upgrades? Lol. More upgrades will make it more expensive. No?

In the future the tech in it needs to get less expensive sooner for the device to become mainstream.

• 2mo agoedited

How in the world are 'upgrades' a sure way to make something more 'mainstream'? I see dollar-signs and hear that "suckin' sound".. maybe they'll be mainstream among the global elite? The top 0.1%? Just sayin'...

Ilia Temelkov
Ilia Temelkov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 2mo ago

I think when this technology becomes popular enough it will also become less expensive to produce the headsets. I imagine something similar to the smartphone market today, which has options ranging from $200 to $2000 that can do the basics well enough. So, I wouldn’t worry that the headsets will be only for the 1% as this doesn’t make sense for a company like Apple.

However, seeing the comments here makes me think Apple has more than a hardware problem. Everyone worries about losing connection to reality, about the effects of the screens and so many other things. Those are very valid worries and solving them will take more than just an app or hardware upgrades.

I am curious if there is a ‘killer app’ that can make people think ‘whatever, the app is worth it'. I personally doubt it and I think the biggest use of this technology in the near future will be for corporate needs and maybe entertainment like 4D cinema with VR.

• 2mo ago

Cost will forever be its biggest barrier. Why buy a product for the same price of the downpayment on a new car? Who is this catered to at this price? That's 6 months worth of student loans, 3 months worth of rent, 2 trips from USA to Australia. The younger tech-savvy group complain they can't afford to save money; the generation most able to afford it are the people who have a panic attach trying to use an Android tablet at a kiosk.

We can't be discussing how to make this mainstream without fixing the cost. Features will not make people buy this thing.

• 2mo ago

Creating a second post to play along and not be the Debby downer about the cost...

It needs social-ability. It's a single person experience and that's the opposite of what people want. It needs to be able to be a shared experience (i.e. watch a Netflix movie in sync with someone else on separate headsets). Talking to an avatar on a virtual meeting is the closest this comes, but until shared experiences comes, this $3,500 product has less social opportunities than a bathroom.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless