Join the discussion: Is Samsung losing the battle for the best foldable?

Join the discussion
• 1y ago
↵J2017 said:

When it's all said and done Chinese foldables are at least year ahead of Samasung's. Hang on to your 'borrowed' point if it helps you cope better.

Nah. More like six months ahead...of Samsung's LAST model. ? Like, literally.

• 1y ago

Ok, this is gonna be long but Mariyan you asked lol.

I don’t think there is a right fit for everyone, it depends on what you value and what you need as well as partially on where you live; if you live in China, then Vivo, Oppo, Huawei, etc. will have better support, if you live in the US or South Korea, Samsung is going to have better support and availability. Additionally, living in the US, with deals, you can get a Samsung Fold 4 by under $1k, while importing a Huawei Mate X3 costs over $2k. On the other hand, in China, they may be around the same price or most likely others from Oppo, Vivo, Honor, etc. are cheaper than the Samsung Fold.

I do agree with the general sentiment that Samsung is playing it too safe lately (like Apple) and is generally trying to appeal to the masses while Chinese manufacturers are showing off crazy new tech, some is actually good, but a lot it’s also stuff that looks way better on paper than in real life.

For example, Samsung would prioritize slim design vs great camera with giant camera bump, or vs extremely thick phone with massive battery and battery life, or it would prioritize water resistance over reducing crease, etc.

If you value ecosystem, refinement/reliability, time saving/life improvement features and convenience features like One Hand Operation+, DeX, SmartThings integration, S-Pen, intuitive OneUI interface that moves most tappable element to the bottom of the phone where they are easier to reach, etc. Samsung would be a better option for people that value this.

If you value gapless design, “creaseless” (at least less noticeable crease) design, better aspect ratio for cover screen, faster charging, and other innovations in durability such as Kunlun glass, then clearly the Chinese manufacturers offer better options for people that value this.

For me, so far the foldable design that I like the most is the Huawei Mate X3, but missing s-pen and other Samsung exclusive features are dealbreakers for me, at the same time, the cover screen (which I consider the “main screen”) of the Fold 4 is also a dealbreaker for me, along with durability. So I’m not really interested in any foldable at the moment. I may still import a Mate X3 but to use as a secondary device as mini tablet, not to replace my S23 Ultra.

For another foldable to be my daily driver, I’d probably need improved durability and something like the size of the newest iPad mini ( https://i.ytimg.com/vi/swQybKLY8cw/maxresdefault.jpg ) when unfolded but that folds in the shorter axis, similar to the Oppo Find N2 or MS Duo, but open would have to be the physical size of the iPad mini, although with smaller bezels (like the bezels’ thickness of the Fold4) and slightly larger screen. It would also need to have UDC and S-Pen slot and S-pen should be compatible with both main/cover screen and with secondary/mini-tablet screen.

• 1y ago

Two part question innit. Hardware? Yes, they're behind Xiami, Oppo and Huawei. Software wise? They own the market, by an absolute mile.

• 1y ago

Samsung phones are on and then their gone. I would love the Samsung Z Unfolded because it opens up like a small computer in your hands. But the dang price in the US is a every bit 2500.00 dollars to 1000.00 dollars. That's my dang rent money. I don't have time for that??. Anyone know where I can get it cheaper ?

• 1y agoedited

Sammy despite "Explosion Gate" is bigger and better than the rest- more money means more consumer confidence in every contingency. Truth hurts :( sorry because there IS potential and true gems out there I don't doubt it one bit. Just saying in the end Money wins.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless