Join the discussion: Is Samsung losing the battle for the best foldable?

Join the discussion
• 1y ago
↵poptart said:

Using the vivo x fold side by side with the fold 4 has made me realize how little gains Samsung has accumulated since releasing its first foldable.

They're gaining profit by milking their fans. That counts right? ?

• 1y ago
↵poptart said:

Using the vivo x fold side by side with the fold 4 has made me realize how little gains Samsung has accumulated since releasing its first foldable.

This is something I have been talking about...

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵poptart said:

It's easy to be lazy in a closed and restricted market environment.

• 1y ago

Here on this site, Samsung is always losing or being overtaken by everything and everyone. Samsung is the best, accept that it hurts less!

• 1y ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

I think it's only a matter of time before Chinese brands surpass Samsung when it comes to foldables. The situation in the US is a bit synthetic, with the Samsung-Apple duopoly maintained pretty much by government incentives and laws. R&D budgets and operational profit margins are so much different between Chinese brands and Samsung/Apple that the latter two are bound to fall behind (and it's already happening).

I cannot agree more on this - in 2022 Huawei invested a whopping and definitely CRAZY R&D budget equaling to 25% of its annual revenue, which is rarely seen on international corporations, including its Chinese counterparts (Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo, etc). Let alone Sammy who prioritize profit making over R&D. I don't know the percentage of revenue Apple has been spending in an average year on R&D, anyone care to enlighten me on this?

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 1y ago
↵IanChiang370LZ said:

I cannot agree more on this - in 2022 Huawei invested a whopping and definitely CRAZY R&D budget equaling to 25% of its annual revenue, which is rarely seen on international corporations, including its Chinese counterparts (Xiaomi, Vivo, Oppo, etc). Let alone Sammy who prioritize profit making over R&D. I don't know the percentage of revenue Apple has been spending in an average year on R&D, anyone care to enlighten me on this?

According to the published financial data, around 21%. Record revenue of 123 billions in 2022, and R&D expenses of 27 billions. I'm not sure if that's how it works, though...

• 1y ago
↵J2017 said:

You're right but I don't count the flexpai?

Of course you don't. It was as insignificant as every other foldable that's gone up against the Fold. ?

• 1y ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

With all due respect, Huawei pretty much invented the outward-folding screen with no crease with the Mate Xs. I'm not arguing "for" or "against" (the design has its flaws, but it's still original), just saying Chinese brands don't always copy Samsung and/or Apple. It might've been that way in the past, but now the R&D budgets of Chinese companies are times what Samsung and Apple spent combined. And it shows: variable aperture cameras, ultra-fast charging, innovative designs (Mate Xs, Watch Buds, Xiaomi 11 Ultra, etc.)

Huawei "pretty much invented the outward folding screen? Royole would like a word with you. In any event, it was a flawed design. So what did the Chinese do? They made every foldable after look like... a Fold. Variable aperture cameras? Samsung and Sony would like a word with you. Innovative designs? Is that what we call huge camera humps? Super-fast charging? I'll give you that; at least until I do some research on the tech.

I mean, yes, they're nice products. But like I said: Samsung still offers the best overall package. And they WILL need to work hard to keep it that way, once Google and Apple get into the game.

• 1y agoedited
↵J2017 said:

What are YOU smoking? How exactly have the Chinese "borrowed" how to make a better foldable from Samsung when the FOLD is trash. You and that other troll just won't give credit where credit is due.

Every single design except for the failed in-folding phones is a straight rip from Samsung.

I give the Chinese credit for throwing so much tech into their products. I mean, I'll always take MORE hardware and software features (they're still badly lacking here) over less. But when you consider price, availability, and the other factors I mentioned above, Samsung still rules. That's my opinion; your agreement is neither requested, nor required.

• 1y agoedited
↵MsPooks said:

Every single design except for the failed in-folding phones is a straight rip from Samsung.

I give the Chinese credit for throwing so much tech into their products. I mean, I'll always take MORE hardware and software features (they're still badly lacking here) over less. But when you consider price, availability, and the other factors I mentioned above, Samsung still rules. That's my opinion; your agreement is neither requested, nor required.

When it's all said and done Chinese foldables are at least year ahead of Samasung's. Hang on to your 'borrowed' point if it helps you cope better.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless