Debate: How long should a phone last between charges?

Join the discussion
• 10mo ago

You are a bunch of cry babies !!! :))

Why do I need my phone to last 10 days ? The solution is for Apple, Samsung and Google to implement 120w charging.

Since Dec 2021 I'm rocking a Xiaomi Mix 4 with 0 to 100 in 15 minutes. I don't even charge my phone while I shower, because I like to listen to music on the phone :))) so I let it charge while I smoke a cigarette after shower and/or when I dress up. I use my phone all the time I'm awake, every second. While I eat or while I do push ups ... There's at least a sports show on youtube playing in the background or a podcast on spotify. In the evening, sometimes I top it up again. 1,5 years of 1-2 full charges / day and the battery is still going strong. It really gives you a very nice peace of mind knowing that you only need 15 minutes for a full charge with boost on. And it's only a 4500 mah battery. Up until 2020 I only used iphones and since then I became aware of all the smartphone scene :)) sadly there is absolutely no phone that checks all of my boxes. My ideal phone would be:

-latest processor

-the best haptics

-S23 ultra style squarish display (but flat and 7" please)

-no punch hole, no pill, no dynamic island and no under display selfie camera. I 100% need an uninterrupted display and for the selfie camera give me sony xperia 1 V implementation with s23 ultra selfie quality

-front facing identical speakers (earpiece pulling double duty is not enough, you can clearly hear sound coming out weird and uneven from top and bottom. I own iphone 11 and Mix 4, which both have stellar speakers with this earpiece trick, so this implementation just can't get much better than these 2 phones)

• 10mo ago

-give me IMX 989 main camera

-give me big sensor in telephoto like find x6 pro, with floating lens added macro capabilities like xiaomi 13 pro and with continuous optical zoom like sony xperia 1 V, but make it 3x-10x

-give me the biggest possible sensor for ultrawide

-cut the crap with big round circular camera. I do like S23 ultra camera design, it's acceptable, but we all have to admit that Pixel 6 series has the sleekest camera design. It's practical too, a whole camera bar where you can put all the sensors, plus it doesn't wobble.

-give me the fastest possible charging with at least 6000 mah battery like Asus ROG 7

-give me at least 16 GB of the latest RAM and 512 GB of ROM

-take a page out of sony xperia 1 V book and choose whatever materials you want, but please make the phone so that I don't need to put a case on it. I dropped my phone a few times over the years, luckily it never shattered, just small bumps, but these days I can't rock a phone without a transparent silicone case because it's too slippery. If I am at a table, I place my phone on the table and if the table is inclined in the slightest of angle ... the phone slips to the ground. Same if I place it on the table, on the cigarettes pack ... It easily slips to the ground. This is a problem. If you drop your phone and it shatters ... you deserve it for not taking care of it, but I should be able to put my phone on a wooden table without sliding like on ice.

-give me sim tray like xperia 1 V

-GIVE ME IR BLASTER for god's sake

-give me 3.5 mm jack

-and actually the most important after squarish display ... give me colours, dozens of them and also make some eye catching dual or triple contrasty combinations. I don't mind paying a hefty premium for a special colorway, like with sneakers.

• 10mo ago
↵Johnny100194 said:

-give me IMX 989 main camera

-give me big sensor in telephoto like find x6 pro, with floating lens added macro capabilities like xiaomi 13 pro and with continuous optical zoom like sony xperia 1 V, but make it 3x-10x

-give me the biggest possible sensor for ultrawide

-cut the crap with big round circular camera. I do like S23 ultra camera design, it's acceptable, but we all have to admit that Pixel 6 series has the sleekest camera design. It's practical too, a whole camera bar where you can put all the sensors, plus it doesn't wobble.

-give me the fastest possible charging with at least 6000 mah battery like Asus ROG 7

-give me at least 16 GB of the latest RAM and 512 GB of ROM

-take a page out of sony xperia 1 V book and choose whatever materials you want, but please make the phone so that I don't need to put a case on it. I dropped my phone a few times over the years, luckily it never shattered, just small bumps, but these days I can't rock a phone without a transparent silicone case because it's too slippery. If I am at a table, I place my phone on the table and if the table is inclined in the slightest of angle ... the phone slips to the ground. Same if I place it on the table, on the cigarettes pack ... It easily slips to the ground. This is a problem. If you drop your phone and it shatters ... you deserve it for not taking care of it, but I should be able to put my phone on a wooden table without sliding like on ice.

-give me sim tray like xperia 1 V

-GIVE ME IR BLASTER for god's sake

-give me 3.5 mm jack

-and actually the most important after squarish display ... give me colours, dozens of them and also make some eye catching dual or triple contrasty combinations. I don't mind paying a hefty premium for a special colorway, like with sneakers.

So, 6h between charges then?

• 10mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Amen to that, but there is no way to enforce such standards, and it wildly depends on how you use the phone. Look at @stferrari getting 4-5 days out of his Galaxy S23 Ultra. I'm currently using an iPhone 14 Plus, and when I facetime with my GF a lot, it dies in one day, and when I'm not, it can go on for two to three days... We just need better batteries... Li-ion is so pre-2000 :)))

Exactly. That's why I didn't initially respond to "How long should a phone last between charges?" with we can't say how long a phone should last between charges because it's all based on how the phone is used. I was answering based on what ifs. But there's no real answer to how long a phone should last.

• 10mo ago

Im sure that I wouldn't to care a 300 gr. brick in my pockets. No way and no need. 24 hours is enough.

• 10mo ago

Well.... that depends on network strength, and what users are actually doing. I could kill any phone in less than 5 hours taking videos and streaming. So what really should be more important is how fast can you get that power back to continue burning through the charge again?

• 10mo ago
↵Augustine said:

So, 6h between charges then?

If I charge at 8:00 and at 21:00 it's like a 13h period with heavy usage in between. You want to be sarcastic here, but it's not the case since even an iphone 13 mini or a zenfone 9 would last you for 1h Google Maps, 1h YouTube, 1h LTE call, 1h whatsapp video call, 1h silly games. What more do you want from a phone until you have acces to a charger ? We already have the technology to make phones last 10 days, laptops 10 days and EVs last 1000 miles on a single charge, but it's not cheap enough yet to enter mass production. Is it that hard to plug the phone for 15 minutes in order to get 6-7-8-9 h SOT ?

• 10mo ago

One week.

• 10mo ago

It doesn't matter how long it lasts when you have OnePlus WARP/Super VOOC charging. This is one less thing I have to think about with a OP device.

• 10mo ago
↵pravin.n15 said:

I now this is asking too much, for now, but looking at the bigger picture, it should., should.. last between minimum 3-5 days.

Battery tech is in a very nascent state as of now.

Wouldn't even think of relying too much on any batterty operated things, especially EVs till they fix issues like stand-by batter drain on account of temp changes, combustability, water and temp protecion, power density, charging speeds, portless charging for bigger appliances/vehicles/machines, etc, protecting batteries against electro-magnetic interferences and causing those for other appliances as well, chemical complexity that would ultimately cause issues like ground-water and soil pollution (agrcultural reasons).

You see, the more we think of the bigger picture, the more it shows that battery tech and the way we are going about it, is really something that needs a strategic revisit, on a priority basis, before we make a mess of it, like we did with nuclear and other chemical tech.

It wasn't too long ago we had phones last a week, no problem. Battery life was measured in days. Then smartphones came out and we went backwards. And stayed there.

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless