Debate: How long should a phone last between charges?

Join the discussion
• 10mo ago

Given that current lithium ion batteries have a finite number of charge cycles, the more (longer) the merrier. That being said I am very satisfied with the battery life of my S23 Ultra. I rarely play games on my phone (I have an Tab S8+ for that) and don't spend hours on my phone on social media so other than using Apps in Android Auto I basically use my phone as a phone. I have battery saver set on the galaxy so it only charges to 85% and I usually only have to chage the phone ever 4 to 5 days.

• 10mo ago

I think going every other day between charging your phone should be standard for smaller devices & going 2 full days between charges should be standard for larger devices.

• 10mo ago

If you disable all the smartphone features and enable the ultra power saving mode, it will last for weeks as well on a single charge, just like back in the days of dumb phones.

• 10mo ago

I think it should last as long as possible. I would like at least 9 days, same as my smartwatch, but I'll take whatever is available.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo agoedited
↵tokuzumi said:

I work at a desk all day, so battery life isn't super critical. But if I'm away from a charger in my daily life, I'll need enough juice to do whatever it is I need to do in the time between charges.

I know self winding watches exist... would be cool to have a way to charge the phone while walking.

That's a neat idea, which will require a big flywheel to capture that kinetic energy, store it, and then convert it to electricity when needed. I'm not sure how much exactly, but it should add substantial weight to the phone. The same goes for solar chargers; it has been tried before, but there's not enough surface area on the phone to capture any meaningful amount of energy from sunlight.

We just have to pump in energy from outside...

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo ago
↵pimpin83z said:

I think going every other day between charging your phone should be standard for smaller devices & going 2 full days between charges should be standard for larger devices.

Amen to that, but there is no way to enforce such standards, and it wildly depends on how you use the phone. Look at @stferrari getting 4-5 days out of his Galaxy S23 Ultra. I'm currently using an iPhone 14 Plus, and when I facetime with my GF a lot, it dies in one day, and when I'm not, it can go on for two to three days... We just need better batteries... Li-ion is so pre-2000 :)))

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 10mo ago
↵yalokiy said:

If you disable all the smartphone features and enable the ultra power saving mode, it will last for weeks as well on a single charge, just like back in the days of dumb phones.

That's an interesting experiment idea right there! The phone with the longest standby time. We should definitely do this just for the giggles.

• 10mo ago

at least 24 hours with 20% battery left with heavy usage, no wifi at all, being used in bright sunligt ,gps active for hours,taking pics and videos, basically simulate a travel day where you need to heavily use the phone.

If it can do that for 24 hours and still have 20% battery left then i can easily have 2 days battery life on normal usage.

• 10mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

You're correct, 690 on the 10 Mark III, it's an endurance champion, but there's no 4K recording, and it's pretty laggy. I remember the old Motorola G Power (from around 2019-2020) being able to last three full days easily...

The mark 4 and 5 that lack 4K, because of 695.

Phones with 690 have.

Also 10iii has usb 3.1 + hdr screen, stuff iv and v dont.

• 10mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

Amen to that, but there is no way to enforce such standards, and it wildly depends on how you use the phone. Look at @stferrari getting 4-5 days out of his Galaxy S23 Ultra. I'm currently using an iPhone 14 Plus, and when I facetime with my GF a lot, it dies in one day, and when I'm not, it can go on for two to three days... We just need better batteries... Li-ion is so pre-2000 :)))

Talk to Toyota about their new battery tech

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless