Verizon wants to keep track of your web habits and more, although you can opt-out
Thankfully, there is a way to opt-out of this information gathering. By heading over to VerizonWireless.com/myprivacy, Big Red customers will find two locations where they can check "Don't use my information" for each Verizon cell phone number they have. Unless this is done, Verizon customers are automatically opted into the new program, which is something that might raise the hackles of many smartphone users who believe that the carrier's default positions should be to not gather customer's information for profit.
source: Verizon, ComputerWorld via AndroidCentral
2. Alex (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2011, 22:59 0 0
Thank you Alan F. and Phone Arena for letting us know. I opt out too.
3. gotjesus (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2011, 23:07 0 0
Thx for the headsup opted out of all 3 of my lines ;)
4. vzwnewb (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2011, 23:09 2 0
In the interest of fairness, I actually learned this a couple of days ago from Verizon themselves. On the bill payment page it's right there with a big "Please read" and ecplains it all and links you to the quick opt out for it.
There's no reason to miss this, Verizon isn't hiding it.
5. chris da computa guy (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2011, 23:17 0 0
I opted out too.... Aggravating to know that carriers don't default a customer to privacy instead of non-privacy settings...
Thanks phone arena, I wouldn't have realized this unless I have read this article. Much appreciated!
6. t1 connect (unregistered) posted on 12 Oct 2011, 23:53 0 0
Funny I just got the same email for my fios and opted out.
9. belovedson posted on 13 Oct 2011, 00:32 1 1
we shouldn't have to opt out. it should already be opted out and then any idiot who wants their data sold should be allowed to opt in
how stupid are people in general.....verizon is hiding it? idiots.... we are losing rights left and right you cant sniff it even though its under your noses
10. TheOne281 (unregistered) posted on 13 Oct 2011, 07:50 0 0
I spell a class action law suit.
11. Bethistopheles posted on 13 Oct 2011, 09:28 1 0
Losing rights? Class action lawsuit? What are you two smoking? :)
Verizon was clear that this was going to happen and clear that it could be opted out of.
The sky is not falling.
12. codymws posted on 13 Oct 2011, 19:29 0 0
Really, people? It's in BIG letters on the latest bill to "Please Read" and on My Verizon when you log in. They aren't hiding it. You're fine.
13. InspectorGadget80 posted on 14 Oct 2011, 22:24 0 0
At least one good reason that I'm not on Verizon so they can see what site you're on. and it's called SPYING