The iPhone could have had a curved screen, if it wasn't so expensive
Satzger is currently the vice president of industrial design over at Intel, but in the recent past he went through a couple of roles at cupertino. From 1996 to 2008 he was at such high positions as Industrial Design Creative Lead and Industrial Design Manager.
Satzger testified by saying that Apple had a “strong interest in doing two pieces of shaped glass.” That’s exactly what we see in the images of the 0355 model prototype, pictured below. After considering cost, Apple opted against using the curved glass:
“The technology in shaping the glass, the cost relative to shaping the glass at the time, and some of the design features of this specific shape were not liked… The technology at the time had a lot to do with it. The qualities of the glass at the time had a lot to do with it. These are models — I’m trying to remember a time frame — that were before gorilla glass and before a lot of the other factors,” Satzger said.
This doesn’t change anything obviously but is nonetheless interesting as now we have curved glass phones such as the Galaxy Nexus from Samsung. Would you have preferred a curved iPhone? Let us know in the comments below.
1. wsucoug13 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 09:36 12 7
You mean tapered screen, like the Galaxy line?? hmmmm..
7. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:06 6 0
Tapered screen on the Nexus S is awesome, wish they'd take it even further.
20. Synack posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:46 3 1
Oh no, not our precious profit margins. Do something for the people for once Apple.
21. quakan posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:47 3 4
This a business not a charity. Profit comes first.
22. EclipseGSX posted on 02 Aug 2012, 11:02 4 1
With profits in the Billions at what point is it just complete greed?
24. gallitoking posted on 02 Aug 2012, 11:46 1 7
this is not a mom and pop shop is a global company so yes profits are in the billions
56. EclipseGSX posted on 03 Aug 2012, 09:57 0 0
No s**t it's global but there are also other companies with not near the same profit margin as Apple, and you didn't answer my question.
23. Ubi2447 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 11:37 4 0
"We are really pleased with our revenues but our goal isn't to make money." - Apple SVP Jonathan Ive.
2. bobfreking55 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 09:43 24 1
yet the Nexus is cheaper than the iPhone.
39. Jasonhunterx posted on 02 Aug 2012, 16:11 2 0
16GB Galaxy Nexus 350$ off contract 16GB Iphone 4S 650$ and Android is free Google is not greedy at all
55. wsucoug13 posted on 03 Aug 2012, 09:23 0 0
$650!!!!! you have to be a f**king retard to pay that for that phone. Sorry but is honestly how I feel.....
4. mozes316 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 09:54 1 1
I feel the screen being rounded out like that would only add to the fagile characteristics of the iPhone...
8. hung2900 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:11 2 5
Another reason to prove "Apple focuses on great product not profit"
11. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:16 4 2
Disagree. If they were focused on the product being great, the price of the screen being expensive wouldn't have been an issue.
13. remixfa posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:23 5 2
correct. Also, shortly after the i4 launch, curved products like the Nexus S came into existence. They offered more tech for less money AND curved glass.
Its all about profit.
26. gallitoking posted on 02 Aug 2012, 11:49 1 8
and customer satisfaction
28. bigbmc26 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 12:29 1 2
At what point do you realize that most people will be satistied with whatever Apple iPhone/iPad comes out. It really doesn't have to be the best, just have an Apple logo on it. Of course it has the highest customer satifaction ratings! The masses have swallowed the "Apple is the best" marketing campaign, lol!
I have friends complain about different things on their iPhones all the time, but they would change for the world, because it's Apple. That's the nature of the industry right now. Sad but true...
31. gallitoking posted on 02 Aug 2012, 12:36 0 3
the same thing could be said about Android and having bigger market share.. doesn't make them the best either.. Apple customer know what to expect form an Apple product.. that's why there are satisfied.. of course there are a few that want more.. so they tried other OS but is normal..
32. PhoneArenaUser posted on 02 Aug 2012, 13:36 2 0
"Apple customer know what to expect form an Apple product..."
In other words nothing new.
38. tedkord posted on 02 Aug 2012, 16:06 2 0
Exactly. They should know what to expect by now, after 5 years of almost the exact same phone and OS being released every year.
42. andro. posted on 02 Aug 2012, 16:43 1 0
The best way to teach a child is repetition,Apple has certainly been following this phrase to the letter!
45. PhoneArenaUser posted on 02 Aug 2012, 17:46 0 0
Upgrade kit for iPhone 4 owners: http://goo.gl/2UnAk
47. MISTER_H (banned) posted on 02 Aug 2012, 18:46 0 0
Nice one Tedkord.... Gallito has got nothing to say there! he's vanished.
40. gallitoking posted on 02 Aug 2012, 16:30 0 4
I like to call it reliability.. is a word not well known in the Android camp.. but it does exist..
49. jroc74 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 21:19 2 0
I guess all the iPhone troubleshooting sections around the web are lies?
The iPhone has issues....like....any.....phone.....
44. gwuhua1984 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 17:12 0 0
The ones that aren't satisfied moved to Android or WP. So Android or WP could provide more for those who aren't satisfied.
9. loken posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:15 2 0
looks like xperia gx on the front and back side.. or even arc
10. nnaatthhaannx2 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:16 4 0
If it didn't have the Apple logo on the back it wouldn't be so expensive.
12. gwuhua1984 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:19 2 0
Apple just doesn't want to lose that profit margin.
37. gwuhua1984 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 15:07 1 0
It's not about the money, it's about great products...? Wonder who just said that recently... Talk about hypocrites...
14. remixfa posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:25 2 0
Samsung curves its glass inward to feel more natural on the face and for better speaking quality.
From the looks of these prototypes, thats not the curve Apple was going for.. but more of a slight hill from left to right while keeping the traditional straight candybar factor. I dont see how that curve would have been a benefit to anything. Anyone have any ideas on how that would have helped something?
17. IamYourFather6657 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:30 2 0
See nokia n9 or lumia 800
Swiping will feel more natural
52. IamYourFather6657 posted on 03 Aug 2012, 00:37 1 0
You have to try at a store to find out (I dont know why )
Try a Nokia n9 (because meego requires a lot of swiping ) , but lumia 800 is okay too
35. JonBjSig posted on 02 Aug 2012, 14:41 0 0
I've tried them and the way I feel it is that it's more natural feeling because the edges are curved down, so when you swipe from the very edge it feels smoother, the actual screen itself is still flat.
The edges of this iPhone concept are still sharp, and screen itself is bent out, in my opinion that would make swiping more uncomfortable.
51. IamYourFather6657 posted on 03 Aug 2012, 00:36 0 0
Jon : the screen on the n9 is curved just like the prototype .
54. JonBjSig posted on 03 Aug 2012, 09:07 0 0
nope, the screen is flat, it's just the edges that are curved.
43. andro. posted on 02 Aug 2012, 16:47 0 0
yes at times it does,the slight taper in the edge of the s 3 screen certainly gives a nicer swiping feeling than the s2
15. Ohrules posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:25 1 0
can someone please explain why a curved screen is better than a conventional screen?
27. SleepingOz posted on 02 Aug 2012, 12:28 0 1
It's not better but it gives you more bragging rights.
16. TalkingTechy posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:27 1 0
I think the all glass front and back design is very elegant, but it's so slippery and prone to cracking due to drops, it doesn't make sense unless you have another screen back there.
Most end up covering up the back with a case, so what's the point of the all glass design? I think all phone mfgs should just make their phones backless and allow a more robust case (that the user purchases separately 90% of the time anyways) to be the "back cover."
18. PhoneArenaUser posted on 02 Aug 2012, 10:38 1 1
Why I feel that such curved glass would create a bad visibility in sunny day. :\
36. ekia007 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 15:01 1 1
If iPhone comes with curves screen, samsung can sue apple over design.
41. webOSlove posted on 02 Aug 2012, 16:31 0 0
What ever happened to "we focus on making great products ?" Had that been true , the price wouldn't have been an issue . And besides... it not like Apple doesn't have enough money.....
46. InspectorGadget80 posted on 02 Aug 2012, 17:59 0 0
if it have curve sides it will STILL SUE SAMSUNG N OTHERS. sg III have curve edges yet APPLE BARK at the court because it still looks like their crummy iphone. and i still say they stole sony idea AND COPY IT. because they cant make up their own design.
48. darkkjedii posted on 02 Aug 2012, 19:48 0 0
Hey guys can anyone tell me how good the one x is? Does it do screenshots, and how's the gallery?
50. Alistaire posted on 02 Aug 2012, 21:51 0 0
And they say price wasn't an issue over at Apple. It's about making the best product... >_