Samsung's screenshot of shame surfaces, borrowed from.. an iPhone
36. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
im sure apples lawyers will love this...
but seriously samsung... come on... that is just ridicuous and embarrasing
2. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Is Google map copied from iPhone map?
Software is by Google and hardware is by Samsung.
Why did you blamed Samsung on this screenshot?
18. ayephoner (Posts: 849; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
its google maps FROM iOS rather than google maps from android (there is a clear difference).
why is this so hard for you guys to understand?
23. gwhyte01 (Posts: 44; Member since: 09 Jul 2008)
you do know google powers the iphones map.
3. Joshing4fun (Posts: 1182; Member since: 13 Aug 2010)
Everybody knows that Samsung copied aspects of the iPhone. Its obvious. But no more so than Lg or half the other touch screen phone makers so I don't know why it's such a big deal. Also iOS5 clearly has android touches so they both play off each other a bit. And as stated above, Samsung "photoshopped" that photo. A Samsung phone was never running the iphone maps so no real harm done.
8. ayephoner (Posts: 849; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
theres a big difference between legally borrowing aspects and tweaking them to make them your own (how ever little the tweaking might be) and patent infringement.
if apple knows anything, its what they can get away with legally. their copying of android (regardless of how obvious it was to you or me) seems to have been legal. samsung's "slavish" copying of apple seems to be in violation.
i agree that it goes both ways, but its up to the courts to decide what was done legally and what was infringement.
10. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
most of what apple is suing over, is not patents, its look-a-like. It only started pulling out random patents and throwing them out when no one would ban samsung for copying. Samsung is suing apple over patents that even apple admits its breaking.
The inside of that phone is made by Samsung. The app is made by Google. Is it a crap photoshop? sure. Do you know for sure that the picture is an iphone and not a prototype white SGS with the wrong pic of google maps in it?
11. ayephoner (Posts: 849; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
its a samsung galaxy player. it says so in the article. and that is certainly iOS.
i get what your're saying about the patents, but there are design rights also. although, the iphone certainly took from others for their design. i really dont know how any of them ever make anything.
14. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
apple sueing samsung solely because they are the only real competition due to the onslaught of tabs, smartphones,etc that samsung is releasing.
16. ayephoner (Posts: 849; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
apple is suing other companies as well. it is not just samsung. samsung is suing other companies, it is not just apple.
their back and forth gets the most coverage b/c they are the two largest companies, with the most significant suits that have the largest outcomes.
21. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no, its obviously iOS.
the point was, is it on purpose or was it just some idiot graphic designer trying to cut corners? This isnt the first time we've found one phone having a picture of another phone's screen in it, so my money is on the latter, not the former. Heck, we've even seen iphone mock ups with android screens in there, so its not like its something to get all up in arms over.
26. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Yet Samsung loses all the lawsuits, but its bs right.
34. ayephoner (Posts: 849; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
how is shopping 3 images (player, ios maps, android notification bar) easier than 2 images (player, android maps)? its not like a google maps image from android is anything that is difficult to obtain, unless this is tyed to the lack of screen capture in android.
4. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3092; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Its a big deal Josh because Samsung is apples biggest competition
5. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3092; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Victor, that's Google maps in which all of android phones use. Not just Samsung.
15. Victor.H (Posts: 571; Member since: 27 May 2011)
Sure it is, RORYREVOLUTION, but I don't really get what you're saying - have I somehow alluded that it's not?
The interface of course is similar, what's striking is that instead of taking an actual screenshot from Google Maps for Android as they could have easily done, they obviously photoshopped a screenshot grabbed from an iPhone.
22. Reonhato (Posts: 5; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
It is a call made by a "lazy" graphic designer or ad agency. This happens all the time. Unless you have proof that Samsung actually ordered the designer to do this, it is not an issue. This has nothing to do with Samsung or Apple.
25. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4747; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I have to agree with you 100%. We ALL don't know all the facts & the author of this article with this title "Samsung's screenshot of shame surfaces, borrowed from.. an iPhone" is assuming that Samsung did this in a deliberate manner. For all we know it's a lazy employee who is cutting corners & made a big mistake.
33. Penny (Posts: 1565; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Guys while the lazy employee theory is fine, a low-level graphic designer does not get his work up on the website without it being approved by somebody above him.
That being said, no company is stupid enough to copy a direct screenshot from a competing product and put it up on their website purposely. It's a combination of a lazy/rushed designer and a supervisor that did not pay attention.
37. catfacepanda (Posts: 16; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
That is pretty lazy. I don't agree that Samsung is blatantly copying their phones' design from Apple, though. Especially since one of the original basis' for Apple getting their Galaxy line banned in Europe was essentially for the preliminary sketch of a square. Based on that, I don't agree that it was enough for a complete ban. But this just makes Samsung look bad, and is embarrassing. Talk about bad timing.
9. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Lol its Google's map not apple's map...we have seen theses things happen before with other companies,its called human error...
12. varsas (Posts: 11; Member since: 30 Sep 2011)
Does the google map application interface look different on Android?
17. ayephoner (Posts: 849; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
yes. it looks more like the full browser version. ios has "pins" for locations, gray for location name, etc. everything looks slightly different. you can obviously tell this is iOS.
13. blade19 (Posts: 60; Member since: 29 Apr 2011)
HAHAHA!... it's Google maps... as stated by others above... no reason to debate it at this point...
24. gwhyte01 (Posts: 44; Member since: 09 Jul 2008)
From 2008?? Phone arena why do yo find it necessary to post this....are you obsessed with apple too....dont be biast.
27. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Ok so Samsung took a screen shot from an iPhone which is not only lazy but shows they're obviously copying. Of course the fandroids don't see anything wrong with this and also deny its happening. Look at he two pictures. Can it be anymore obvious?
28. ravi5695 (Posts: 71; Member since: 11 Feb 2011)
without knowing all the facts.. how can u blaim samsung..??
30. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Facts are that Samsung used a screen shot from an iPhone to advertise. How many coincidences do you guys need to admit the obvious. Samsung using iPhone apps in their store was also an accident right? Or using the same packaging. Or copying icons on their phone.
31. ravi5695 (Posts: 71; Member since: 11 Feb 2011)
and now apple is copying the notification menu from android.. hahaha... lol... freaking isheeps...
32. ravi5695 (Posts: 71; Member since: 11 Feb 2011)
hey Victor H.,, Michael H. is better author then you are.. he does not takes sides in android vs. apple war....
35. SuperEd (Posts: 122; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Apple is the most prolific copier of them all. So, what comes around.