SNL parody of Verizon 4G LTE smartphones
Enter Saturday Night Live. Earlier tonight, SNL did a parody of Verizon Wireless, where an "average Joe" walks into a Verizon store saying they've heard a lot of Verizon's 4G LTE network. The customer service rep (Bill Hader) starts talking about how fast the speeds are and all the different phones that they sell....making it sound as complicated (and funny) as possible. The end of the sketch simply says "Verizon. It's an old person's nightmare".
What do you think?
2. biophone (Posts: 1910; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Stupid parody. Really wasn't clever on funny at all. 4g let is faster then 3g its not compacted at all. And if thats complicated then you probably can't even operate a smartphone so just get a dumb phone. Problem solved.
11. campyguy (Posts: 2; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
Speaking of "complicated", possessive context FUs and autocorrect are a bitch, aren't they? If it's that complicated then you probably can't operate a word processor so typewriter and writing classes are in order. Back to school. Problem solved.
It's a skit. On a TV show.
21. biophone (Posts: 1910; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I am in school and do take writing classes thanks.
23. biophone (Posts: 1910; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
Yeah autocorrect is annoying (LTE) not let and (COMPLICATED) not compacted.
13. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1097; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Parody: (noun) 1) An imitation of the style of a particular writer, artist, or genre with deliberate exaggeration for comic effect. 2) An imitation or a version of something that falls far short of the real thing; a travesty.
Also, another definition: A parody (also called send-up, spoof or lampoon), in contemporary usage, is a work created to mock, comment on, or make fun at an original work, its subject, author, style, or some other target, by means of humorous, satiric or ironic imitation.
Just thought I would put those there since you don't seem to understand what a parody is. It doesn't matter if the real thing is simple to understand or not.
20. biophone (Posts: 1910; Member since: 15 Jun 2011)
I know what a parody is but this is just stupid. He says its fast and the guy goes so its fast and he just saying things that are nonsense. Then he just names phones. Its not funny whatsoever.
30. Lucasonic (Posts: 6; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
If you truly understood the whole parody, you would understand that this is a joke on how phones seem to be advertised these days, instead of just seeing it as a guy naming them off..
6. xmusicianguy (Posts: 96; Member since: 13 Jul 2011)
I'm not old at all (27) but I'm still laughing!!
7. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
It can get even more basic than just having a simple phone for those who are speed-challenged - knowing how to plug in the power cable to recharge can be an undertaking in itself. Those itty-bitty little connectors can be their own effort to plug in. I wonder when there will be a skit about plugging in the power cable and the actor gets electrocuted?
8. Stuntman (Posts: 835; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
The only part that was funny was the end when he asked about dropping it in the toilet.
9. twenti7 (Posts: 152; Member since: 09 Jul 2011)
It wasn't so much a parody making speeds sound complicated as it was a parody of a sales person who doesn't really know what they're talking about and rolls all of the sales pitches that he was trained on into one, making it hard for the non tech-savvy customer even more confused. As somebody who sells phones and hears things like this from both coworkers and customers, I found it quite clever and funny.
10. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Sure, it's cute. But in actuality, Verizon actually has the simplest basic phones as well as all the kickass smartphones.
The lesson: bad salespeople suck. :p
12. tetote1180 (Posts: 6; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
The LG vortex is not a 4G phone.. the Enlighten is.. Video sucked.. lol
18. Adianshadows (Posts: 66; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
The enlighten is a 3G phone... it replaced the LG Ally...
14. droid4all (Posts: 17; Member since: 13 Feb 2011)
Ok skit but it almost looks like a marketing scheme. Pay attention to all the brand placement, nice Verizon setup mock store. I could bet you VZW paid them to have this done.
16. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol, thats what i was thinking. Unless that was paid for, that was kick ass free national advertising. it wasnt very funny, but it sure told you a lot about the VZW network.. lol
15. Junito (Posts: 13; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
Guy was smart enough not to use those phones in conjuction with his business.
17. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
lol.....that was funny and TRUE; it's 'an old person's nightmare'.
It's great to see THE BEST NETWORK with THE BEST PHONES (and, Yes the Nexus is among them) get a funny and endearing spoof.
DROID RAZR FTW!!
Take that Atrociously Throttled & Technically challenged, where's your 4G??
That's right, you're still working on your 2G footprint.
19. snowgator (Posts: 3554; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
I laughed. But I am tragically easy to amuse.
22. rockstarlive (Posts: 307; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I thought it was cool. Normally I dont watch SNL that much but the Clint Eastwood skits were funny and Nicholas Cage vs Nicholas Cage was really funny.
25. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 3103; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Relax guys its just a parady. I go to carrier stores all the time to look at phones and there are always really old people there who dont know what 3G or LTE is norhow tp even unlock a touch screen phone. I found the native american living off a settlement joke to be hilarious.
28. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 1031; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
Call it what you want, thats funny!! but thats what the verizon commercials sound like!!
Very nice SNL!!! lol
29. joey18 (Posts: 589; Member since: 20 Jul 2010)
This is funny verizon maybe su those parodys
31. rmac (Posts: 12; Member since: 04 Jan 2010)
What a shameless plug. Clearly sponsored and paid for by Verizon and its smartphone manufacturers.
32. dirtydirty00 (Posts: 418; Member since: 21 Jan 2011)
may be parody, but that was really just some advertisement more than anything else. all the phones mentioned, brand names.
and best of all, for old farts that dont know what 4G is, after viewing that, they will now know one thing about 4g... 'its fast'
good job by verizon to set this up.