Nexus 6 beats the iPhone 6 Plus by a mile in our blind camera comparison
1. TheStanleyFTW (Posts: 243; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
Nice job Moto! :D
But iPhone 6 Plus is better than Moto in low light. :)
3. sgodsell (Posts: 3235; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
It just made sense that a 13mp camera would beat a 8mp camera. That and the faster processor on the nexus 6 would help to sharpen images.
10. TheStanleyFTW (Posts: 243; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
True AND RAW-format is coming to Android (Or wasn't their and app that could take RAW) :D
37. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 11342; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
There's no way the 6 lost to the Nexus 6 in a camera test. There's something wrong with the voters here.
39. Noble_One (Posts: 60; Member since: 18 Aug 2012)
Not trying to start anything at all, but do you think the iPhone pictures look better honestly? I was a bit skeptical when opening the article, but upon looking at the images, I felt the nexus 6 pictures did look better
80. lyndon420 (Posts: 3852; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
You must be new to PA bud. No one in their right mind takes Mxyz serious or his opinions. He's just a troll trying to get a rise out of you. His iPhone could turn into a brick and he'd still defend it to his dieing breath.
161. JayQ330 (Posts: 56; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Same here, I also wondered if had anyone known what phone shot which pic would have the test given different results.
43. iOSLMFAO (banned) (Posts: 290; Member since: 15 Dec 2014)
Your tears are delicious.
It was a blind test, genius, no way for bias to skew the results.
Keep crying though.
44. EclipseGSX (Posts: 1717; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Always in denial if it's against your opinion. Have you tried a Nexus 6, of course you haven't.
49. ianbbaa (Posts: 305; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
because that time when this comparison was posted - darkjedi had some stupid comments about yellowish pictures belonging to "Amoleds" screens and claimed that they are out of Samsung - so then all iSheeps followed his "techie amoled"statement and simply voted for the device number 1 - which was nexus 6 in this case.
But anyway that device 2 pics really looks yelowish so i am a bit surprised that even iPA writer alowed to appear them here. Even blind iPhone user had to vote for 1 cause bad yelowisj samples that i believe iPhone doesnt produce like this. s**tty postprocesing at iPA went wrong direction...
53. iOSLMFAO (banned) (Posts: 290; Member since: 15 Dec 2014)
Darkjedi said something stupid and erroneous? Well I am shocked, just shocked lol
60. androidwindows (Posts: 186; Member since: 04 Oct 2014)
No, iphones have always produced yelllowish images since the iphone 4. ALWAYS. Despite that, reviewers always say the camera on the iphone is THE BEST EVAH!!!!! Just look at Nick's comments in the article above.
51. LionStone (Posts: 724; Member since: 10 Dec 2010)
The apple camera really isn't that great, I used it and I'm not impressed. My HTC DNA is just as fast and takes as good if not better photos. Also when it plays music, I went into camera app, the music shuts off! I didn't even take a picture, just by going there shut off the music! Then when I did take a pic, I had to go back into the music app to turn music back on, lame. When I'm playing music on my DNA, I can go to the camera app, music still plays. Then when I do take a pic, the music pauses then starts playing automatically after the pic. hmm...
77. Leo_MC (Posts: 1047; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
Have you been using an iPhone made by a Chinese manufacturer?
I ask this because my Apple made iPhone keeps playing musing even while I'm taking pictures.
89. megalosdog (Posts: 13; Member since: 06 Jan 2015)
Ummm, all iPhones are made by a Chinese manufacturer. Foxconn.
57. Dinged (Posts: 32; Member since: 12 Jan 2012)
Blind comparison needs to be done without a "sky" scene. Everyone knows an iphone when they see a blue saturated sky, All it takes is a manufacturer or fanboy to auto vote once knowing this and then the votes are skewed.
The apple camera kills it when it comes to low light action scenes...way less blur.
58. darkkjedii (Posts: 19750; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Mxy, enjoy your purchase bro, I know I am. Loving my 128 gig 6 plus. Hope everyone else is enjoying their purchase. I'm also here at CES, enjoying the show. Theres some awesome tech here, but they need better wifi, due to the crowd. I got tons of pics and vids to put on Facebook, 2015 tech rocks so far.
98. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 11342; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
:( I wi I could attend. So many new goodies to see.
99. darkkjedii (Posts: 19750; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Mxy, the phones are great, but the TV's are unbelievable. Home automation is gonna be huge too, give it couple years. Tablets are nice, but we all know only one tablet really matters, the rest kinda fill in the pie. The TV's though bro, my goodness.
59. androidwindows (Posts: 186; Member since: 04 Oct 2014)
There's nothing wrong with the voters here. They simply picked the better performing camera phone that's all.
I accurately predicted that phone 2 was the iphone here.
Despite what the reviewers say, iphones are not able to produce natural looking colors. That's a fact. Just look at the pictures above.
And I'm glad that idiot symantik is banned.
62. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4808; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Please explain how this was rigged... I mean it was a blind comparison? Was it not?
67. tedkord (Posts: 10235; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Or, maybe it's not the rest of the world. Maybe, just maybe, it's you with the problem.
82. lyndon420 (Posts: 3852; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
Hey you tool bag...I got a nice new Nexus 6 and boy is it nice. You should see the pics this thing takes - fricken amazing man!!!!
90. BobbyDigital (Posts: 1836; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Do you need a Wahmbulance Mxy? Lmao!!
100. jphillips63 (Posts: 218; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
In all honesty here yes the nexus 6 images where way better. The colors looked true the contrast and dynamic range was very accurate.
The iPhone looked like the images were over sharpened and also focus was off making some look soft. There very well could had been a bad processor or lens on the iPhone but regardless clearly in those photos the nexus had better images
101. downphoenix (Posts: 3155; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
The Nexus 6 pictures just looked better overall. Mainly due to more accurate color reproduction, and the higher megapixels allowed for more detailed images close in. Apple will need to hike up the megapixels on the next phone or they're just fall further behind and eventually get to an HTC level where the cameras are overhyped and not competitive.
125. alrightythen (Posts: 30; Member since: 07 Jan 2015)
Just face it, iphones are 2 year old hardware. Simple as that.
131. preetmalhotra (Posts: 109; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
Are you bl¡nd?
This was a blind test, so no biasing. Nexus 6 images are indeed better. iPhone6/6s is no better than any other flagship camera except HTCs. Even Nokia N8 beats your iP6/6s. Sorry if that hurts. :P
152. CoryMeetsWorld (Posts: 170; Member since: 17 Oct 2014)
Or you could just be a biased twat.
149. bondosho (Posts: 14; Member since: 07 Nov 2011)
RAW is a feature of Lollipop. Just need a program like Camera FV-5 to take advantage of it. I use it on my N5.
To the comment who said "of course 13mp beat 8mp" I'd ask, since when does more megapixels matter? They don't. Apple's post processing has always bothered me. The inject way to much red in their pics. Anyway, good article.
78. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 473; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
As others below have said, there are other factors apart from pixel count.
- The red cast seems to me to be an auto white balance issue - should be fixable in a FW update.
- Slightly more aggressive sharpening may have helped, though I wonder if the iPhone is at or near max resolving power of its lens.
- In the iPhone's favor, it seems to have better dynamic range than the Moto.
I'd expect the pixel count advantage to push the N6 over the top, but it should have been a closer contest.
FWIW - I own a Nexus 6.
153. CoryMeetsWorld (Posts: 170; Member since: 17 Oct 2014)
More megapixels doesn't mean better camera you knobhead.
8. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4808; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I have to admit, I kinda thought this was the battle I was looking for & BOY was I surprised. This makes me go CRAZY for the Verizon version of the Google Nexus 6.
GEEEZZZZ!!!! When WILL it ever come out? SMH!
Motorola is finally getting their camera game straight & it's evident by this blind camera comparison. AMAZING!
Kudos to Motorola. This is HUGE!
12. TheStanleyFTW (Posts: 243; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
Off topic....But are there any 1/2.3 inch sensors with 13mp?
16. letosaw (Posts: 102; Member since: 05 Aug 2014)
if i'm not mistaken no:/ omnivision OV13860 is 13 mp but only 1/2.6
18. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
No, not for smartphones afaik. There is an 13mp 1/2.6" sensor by Omnivision though with 1.3um pixels.
20. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4808; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
The Oppo N3 has the 1/2.3 inch sensor but at 16MP not 13MP
This is the sensor on the Oppo page & on the OmniVision page:
28. bambamboogy02 (Posts: 508; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
VZW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am waiting as well....
124. alrightythen (Posts: 30; Member since: 07 Jan 2015)
Arent you always waiting while on Verizon??
40. BamaBoi89 (Posts: 5; Member since: 06 Jan 2015)
the nexus 6 is coming in mid feb on verizon they are rumored to be releasing the note edge this thursday.
128. kristoferallen (Posts: 99; Member since: 23 Jun 2010)
A lot of people are ignorant to what colors are supposed to look like. When you go outside in the sun and look at a building, it does not look f**king white. That is making the image with cool colors. That is not the true color. The sun does give a yellow tint when outside. That is the true color of it. Most people like cool colors better. A lot of companies make the cameras this way. Also, it is not low light in the inside pictures. There are a ton of light. It's just that the iPhone has sharper pixels per pixel. Just because a camera has more pixels, it doesn't mean the quality is higher per pixel. It just means the image is bigger. When taking pictures from farther away, you have more pixels to work with and can zoom in and see better quality usually if you have more pixels. But that's not the case with closer up pictures. This is also evident in the camera chart.
145. rsmrx8 (Posts: 13; Member since: 07 Jan 2015)
"It's just that the iPhone has sharper pixels per pixel"
After this quote, pretty much the rest of your comment can be safely ignored. :)
150. Somebody995 (Posts: 33; Member since: 28 Jan 2015)
I'm looking outside right now, and it sure doesn't look yellow to me....
sun+sky daylight color temperature runs in the range of 5500-6500 K. A "cool white" fluorescent bulb runs about 4200 K. A tungsten incandescent bulb runs about 2700 K -- that is your standard "indoor at home at night" color of light. Those apple pics look around 4000 K. The Nexus 6 pics are a MUCH more accurate reproduction of outdoor daylight colors.
151. kristoferallen (Posts: 99; Member since: 23 Jun 2010)
It depends on the time of day. Sunset and sundown it can be extremely yellow outside. It looks like this was done in the morning, according to the shadows. But who knows. We never get a professional camera on these comparisons.
167. nickowerjkl234 (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Jun 2015)
Some people are ignorant to the concept of white balance... Your eyes adjust white balance too, by the way. Apparently, the iPhone does not adjust white balance properly. Neutral whites and grays should appear white or gray, without a color cast.
2. mistercarter (Posts: 359; Member since: 01 Sep 2011)
there must be something wrong with that iPhone camera, cuz i got a 6 Plus and i can take pictures way better than that...
7. sgodsell (Posts: 3235; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Please you can only push an 8mp capture so far with software. It just makes sense that a physical 13mp image is going to have more pixels to work with.
24. tdslam720 (Posts: 70; Member since: 05 Jan 2015)
Yes, because 8MP isn't enough to produce a clear image *rolls eyes*
33. tedkord (Posts: 10235; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
It is, but 13mp can produce clearer pictures (assuming the optics, software and post processing are equal or better.
47. threed61 (Posts: 192; Member since: 27 May 2011)
megapixels are one of the least important factors in the clarity of a photo. Sensor, lens, software and the skill of the photographer are much more important. Nice job, Moto! I have a 6+, by the way.
83. darkkjedii (Posts: 19750; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
So do I? Congrats to the N6. Great phone BTW.
19. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1116; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
OMG the phone i own didn't win the comparison, there is obviously something wrong with it!!! Just face the truth already.
106. EcoCare (Posts: 387; Member since: 30 Jul 2014)
And stubborn. Duh, stupid comment system!
29. cezarepc (Posts: 714; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
Their settings was on auto. If professionals did the comparison on manual settings we'll have a hard time telling the difference.
69. hoosiercub (Posts: 1; Member since: 06 Jan 2015)
I have a Nexus 6 and was honestly worried about the camera, and felt like I'd want a 6+ eventually... not anymore :)
I've been very happy with the camera on the N6 especially in low-light.
4. MahmoudHamsharii (Posts: 69; Member since: 28 Aug 2013)
Uhh, I can't belive it .. finally the IPhone looses in a PhoneArena Camera Comparison!