Nexus 5 huge camera ring actually holds a magnet for add-on lenses
Such lenses are easily available for a few dollars (just search for 'magnetic lens' in popular e-tailers) and can make shooting with the Nexus 5 much more fun.
Also, as big as the camera ring is, the magnet is still not all that strong, so while most lenses seem to fit fairly well, bigger ones could easily slip off or not fit at all. This will thus find best use with smaller lenses.
The last disclaimer to all this is that the brilliant idea is somewhat flawed by the lazy auto-focus of the Nexus 5 that becomes even slower to lock focus when used with a third-party lens. Ah, Google has told some publications that a software update aimed at improving the camera is coming, but it's not known whether it'd fix that.
Still, the magnetic ring is a nice touch that went under our radar initially. It's this kind of attention to detail and small touches that we find particularly exciting, even if discovered a bit late. Right below are a few images of the Nexus 5 with a snap-on lens and the samples shot with it.
Nexus 5 camera ring magnet /all images courtesy of Patrick Schroedl Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
Did you know: 5 interesting facts about Android L
20 Jul 2014, 10:02
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Nexus 5 camera ring magnet /all images courtesy of Patrick Schroedl
2. Nexus 5 camera sample without a lens
3. Nexus 5 camera sample with a wide-angle snap-on lens
4. Nexus 5 camera sample without a lens
5. Nexus 5 camera sample with a wide-angle snap-on lens
6. Nexus 5 camera sample without a lens
7. Nexus 5 camera sample with a wide-angle snap-on lens
source: Android Central, XDA Developers
1. ayephoner (Posts: 836; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
any links to such products on amazon or ebay?
15. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
It can be google way to say Merry chrismas!!!
16. wildfiregt (Posts: 84; Member since: 10 Jun 2013)
I bought last year a similar of thesehttp://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishey
e-Macro-Wide-Angle-3in1-Lens-for-iPhone-Android-Phone-Blackberry-ipodtouch-/221318339045?pt=US_Other_Cell _Phone_Accessories&hash=item33 8799d9e5
Works with almost every smartphone
2. o0Exia0o (Posts: 314; Member since: 01 Feb 2013)
DID NOT SEE THAT COMING! Google you sneaky, sneaky company you! Good show.
9. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 3751; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Google gave us an Easter Egg on the actual Nexus 5 itself.
Google always with a trick up it's sleeve. lol
19. ReddD (Posts: 37; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
The second time you posted it it wasn't so surprising :-P
5. jan25 (Posts: 383; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
All it needs is the long awaited new camera API. It is the only major thing that Anandtech's review found to be dissapointing on the Nexus 5.
6. Remmy (Posts: 52; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
Cool! I have a similar set of lenses (black in color) which require a thin ring of magnet with double sided tape to be glued on the phone. I wonder if it would also work on the Xperia SP's camera ring too.
7. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5529; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Cool 'feature'! Now the accessory companies need to start making things that utilize the ring. My vote for something to produce would be for actual filters (polarizing for example) that can be attached. Digital filters can't do what a real polarizing filter can - remove/reduce reflections from pics taken through windows.
10. marbovo (Posts: 581; Member since: 16 May 2013)
Nice, but those pictures with the lenses seem worse than the ones without it.
13. GoGoGalaxyNexus (Posts: 30; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
something so simple as a magnet can be a big innovation in the smartphone world, good job google
14. TomTheNerd (Posts: 67; Member since: 11 Oct 2013)
I knew it when the first images leaked out.
18. rusticguy (Posts: 2818; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
Great. I am waiting for this feature to make its way to iPhone before i decide to buy :)
20. TasHsn (Posts: 6; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
Google, you rat bastards. You magnificent, ingenious rat bastards, you. :O