New Sony Xperia Z, ZL and ZR firmware update rolling out, improves low-light photos and screen contrast
- Smoother Boot animation
- Efficient RAM management, 1784 MB RAM available for usage
- Home launcher is smoother, no lags here
- Update Center has got a new UI
- Album app taking a bit time to load pics ( even from UHS Class 10 card )
- 3G Signal strength improved
- Touch response is improved a lot
- Sleep and Wake is a bit faster now
- Camera Image quality in dark improved
- Changes in car mode app
- High resolution image is captured in normal mode with HDR off. ( Around 2.8 MB )
- No screen flickering now
- No unusual battery reading bug till now. Booted twice in between 30-20% battery and having no issues
- Battery backup has increased, checked :) ( reporting after 24 hours of update )
1. gazmatic (Posts: 625; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
i love how every new version of android is considered smoother and has less lag but current gen all scream "what lag? its buttery smooth. jelly bean eliminated lag. etc etc etc"
good to know that the flagships got an update... hope the others are around the corner
3. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 2695; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Yes, true, but FYI this is a firmware update from Sony which'll improve their Xperia line's performances a lot.
Very good Sony.
4. Taters (Posts: 3287; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
Not all Android devices are created equally. Some simply do not have it. The Xperia Z did however.
2. boosook (Posts: 1041; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Now these phones start to get interesting. ;) I've seen the new camera shots and they are completely different from the one that came out with the original firmware: it's a pity that all the reviews are not up to date, but of course we can't ask every reviewer to test the camera again.
Also, the UI where the grey items (status bar, button bar) have been changed to black (like in every other phone) doesn't convey anymore the sensation of a "washed out" screen.
I wonder when manufacturers will realize how important it is to release a phone with an optimized firmware. Reviews come out during the first weeks, and once they're out they will stay there forever.
5. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
don't like the gray area on the ui of my xperia sp that is why i installed nova launcher instaead.
7. butlee2711 (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Aug 2013)
But no-one in the UK has the 1st update,Sony obviously do not care and they will not tell us anything.phone good customer service appallingly
8. Remmy (Posts: 55; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
The weird thing is, while others release updates which have significant improvements on their phones, like HTC's One for example, reviewers post a second part of the review which covers all the changes that has been made by the update while Xperias are only left with a list of improvements. :/
11. CroPro13 (Posts: 1; Member since: 09 Aug 2013)
How about heating problems?
S IV fixed it a bit,what about sony?
(BTW,jjust for the people,i'm not samsung fanboy)
12. uzidon (Posts: 5; Member since: 15 Aug 2013)
Can someone please elaborate the changes in camera performance? Which smartphone's camera performs best overall AFTER the update?
13. alrondabreo (Posts: 1; Member since: 23 Aug 2013)
Anyone noticed a problem regarding the estimated standby time. Even with the stamina mode off the estimate remains the same for xperia z unlike before the update.