Galaxy S5 helps Samsung sell more LTE phones than Apple in Q2 2014
Apple was the leader in Q1, controlling 40.5% of the market, but its share fell to 31.9% this quarter - probably not just because Samsung released the Galaxy S5, but also because many customers are holding off from buying new iPhones as they’re waiting for the iPhone 6 to be launched (this should happen next month).
Unlike Apple, which doesn’t have cheap iPhones, Samsung is selling lots off different LTE handsets. While devices like the Galaxy S5 and Galaxy Note 3 are expensive, smartphones like the Samsung Galaxy Core Lite offer LTE for less than $300. Affordable LTE devices could help Samsung lure customers in emerging LTE markets - though competition from local manufacturers is now tougher than ever.
Far behind Samsung and Apple, LG grabbed a 5.2% share of the global LTE smartphone market in Q2. Combined, the three companies sold almost 70% of all the LTE-capable phones during the quarter.
source: Strategy Analytics via The Chosun Ilbo
1. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9502; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Samsung yet again grabbed #1 in aother category. Yeah they're definitely failing.
8. HansGoneInsane (unregistered)
Well, Samsung profits are decreasing. Furthermore, I are only able to be 1% ahead of Apple shortly before the new iPhone arrives.... that doesn't look too cool, does it?
9. JakeLee (banned) (Posts: 1021; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
Their Q3 YoY operating profit will decline as well. The fourth CONSECUTIVE quarter in face, thanks to GN4's epic fail.
18. BLUEBLASTER (Posts: 124; Member since: 23 Feb 2014)
Do tell us how its going the Note 4 is going to fail? Why do you always hate Samsung but never offer an alternative phone to get instead?
25. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9502; Member since: 14 May 2012)
A phone that hasn't been released yet will fail. Please tell all of us the winning lotto numbers for tonight so I can win.
11. Ashoaib (Posts: 2589; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
thats not a good score for samsung keeping in mind that next month, much anticipated iphone 6 is launching... but wait, king of phablet note 4 is also launching... hmm, next month gonna be pretty interesting
well, samsung has to work on operating cost so they can maximize the profit
20. tech2 (Posts: 2736; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Note that these are just the LTE handsets and don't include the Exynos version sold in Asian markets. If they were added to the calculation the figure would've been much more polarising.
26. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 150; Member since: 15 May 2013)
What do you think about the Galaxy Alpha? Definitely considering it.
29. teerex42 (Posts: 178; Member since: 14 Jun 2012)
I know, one minute they're saying they're fading, the next they're the #1 seller worldwide! Make up my mind lol. We all know they're the king of kings on phones....can't wait until next week. This week more leaks should come out on the Note 4 also :)
31. Teejay1100 (Posts: 100; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Exactly! People are so irate on Samsung falling but yet they are still grabbing the #1 spot..
People please shut up about how Samsung is going down please.. Enough
2. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Apple does have a cheap iPhone, like the iP5c=iPhone5 cheap.
5. Florin.T (Posts: 143; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
The iPhone 5c costs $549 unlocked. That's nowhere near cheap.
6. Arte-8800 (banned) (Posts: 4562; Member since: 13 Mar 2014)
Well in thier theory it's not, but to everyone else, it is.
Apple's idear to make a cheap version , but to price it above average.
24. Leo_MC (Posts: 657; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
How much money does "cheap" means?
27. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6891; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
5C made of plastic when everyone else complains bout the GS V is made out of plastic which is not
19. Scott93274 (Posts: 1617; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
I wonder if they were ever able to get rid of those millions of iPhone Cs that they had collecting dust in a warehouse... I don't think Apple knows how to do budget phones very well.
22. XperiaFanZone (Posts: 1557; Member since: 21 Sep 2012)
Ahaha you're limited after a second, what are you doing?
3. NexusPhan (Posts: 585; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
Apple sells plenty of cheap iPhones. They just aren't inexpensive. PA should consider their usage of cheap vs. inexpensive.
7. HansGoneInsane (unregistered)
Lets say Apple does not sell effordable phones.
15. Cicero (Posts: 601; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
They still selling ip4s on some markets. What a fool!
28. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6891; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
and iPA should change their BIAS articles.
10. D.Lamore (Posts: 198; Member since: 15 Aug 2014)
If you say galaxy core is cheap because of its price then iphone is equally cheap because it lacks smart features . Apple are just using propaganda to sell their midrange phones at premium price to zombies.
13. Ashoaib (Posts: 2589; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
well, from one angle it is true but from the other it can be untrue keeping the high demand and the percieved value in view
14. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3264; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Why not releasing at the start itself???
17. Cicero (Posts: 601; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
Funny thing: two days ago I met one of my friend who own a ip5s. He didn't know how to increase luminosity or what is happening when you swipe up or down. At the end he is using ip5s like a feature phone. But the social status force him to have one (near his BMW X5). And he is not the only one which I know. +1 on statistics.
21. ihavenoname (Posts: 1565; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Maybe he's not a tech geek, like more than 9 out of 10 people who buy smartphones?
30. mamadathu (Posts: 48; Member since: 01 Mar 2014)
ATLAST SAMSUNG RELEASE A LTE ENABLED S5 IN INDIA AT 53500RS=883.66 (US DOLLARS)