Are Intel and Apple working on a 1.5-inch iOS smart watch?
In a collaboration with Intel (strange as it may seem), Apple is rumored to bring a 1.5-inch iOS-based smartwatch to market. The 1.5-inch display would be of the OLED kind with ITO (indium tin oxide) coated glass.
What’s more, the Apple smartwatch might come as early as in the first half of 2013.
Interestingly, that would align well with Apple’s history of new product launches. It’s been nearly three years since the company launched the iPad, and around six since the launch of the iPhone. It seems a good time for the company to open a new page with a brand new class of device. But that is just speculation and rumors, so do take it with a grain of salt.
Interestingly, some analysts like Piper Jaffray’s Gene Munster agree that an iOS smartwatch is a possibility. On Kickstarter, projects like the Pebble smartwatch have also gained tremendous traction.
Ron Mertens of OLED-Info also notes that this time, the rumor for an iOS smartwatch looks more credible. Mertens expects the smartwatch to use a PMOLED (Passive Matrix OLED) display, and thus avoid the challenges of display manufacturing.
The only thing that puzzles us is the collaboration with Intel. Why would Apple partner with Chipzilla when ARM is definitely the more power-efficient choice for the moment? When it comes to the price, Sony launched a similar LiveView clipping device that sold for $109 at launch. Now, it's down to around $20, but we expect Apple to shoot for more than $100 at launch, if of course there is any truth in that rumor. Let us know your thoughts about this and the possibility of an Apple smartwatch right below.
source: Tech 163, Oled-info via Mobile Geeks, Business Insider
16. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Yup. I predict $300 USD, and apple patenting "a method of telling time from a device worn on the wrist".
2. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 2957; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Now Intel will be "iNtel iNside"
5. zaryab_hussain77 (Posts: 102; Member since: 30 Jun 2011)
iwatch.. 500$.. Revolutionary watch..the greatest thing happened to time since time
10. gmacattacks (Posts: 24; Member since: 07 Sep 2012)
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha right! and people will buy it because it's apple!
21. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5457; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
APPLE DOESN'T like cheap products they only care bout HIGH PRICES/PROFITS in their pockets
23. drakesummon (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
Aww Cant afford an Apple Product Mac,Iphone,Ipod,Ipad And Ipod Nano ( Kinda ) FTW!
20. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5457; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
yep SONY SHOULD SUE if it ever happened
11. josephnero (Posts: 192; Member since: 16 Nov 2011)
there is already one or a bunch i might say
25. Insignificant (Posts: 182; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Check out the Sony smartwatch, it's pretty cool.
12. Insignificant (Posts: 182; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
The Sony smartwatch already kills this, I'm certain. But the Apple one will cost twice as much, do less than half and sell 10x more in volume.
13. raunak (Posts: 477; Member since: 12 Oct 2011)
I like apple now that it's partnering with intel
14. EspHack (Posts: 70; Member since: 04 Sep 2012)
YES!! please! im waiting this since i got my first ipod nano watch band, is not that i like apple products, but they are what start the race tbh, the iphone, the ipad... and now this is! i hope to see this thing coming out and soon a lumia smartwatch!
15. nicholassss (Posts: 344; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Isnt that just an ipod nano or like, the motoactive... or the sony thing or like... hasnt it been done already?
17. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Really not seeing the practical use here. Sure because it's apple people will buy it, but aren't watches pretty obsolete at this point in...time?
18. fanboy1974 (Posts: 942; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
It was called the iPod Nano 6th gen before Tim Cook screwed up that idea with the 7th gen.
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5457; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
More law suits against watch makers coming around the corner.
22. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5457; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Oh yeah forgot to mention they will PATENT the watch also
24. dan86 (Posts: 298; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
Perfect Crap. An iWatch combined with iOS map will land you in a wrong place in wrong time.
26. wojey (Posts: 14; Member since: 19 Sep 2012)
YES! I've been waiting for this for a long time. it will be cool if you can send txt through siri with the watch and make calls. Im definately looking forward for this.