The company has also picked runner-ups for each of the two categories. Device 6, the visual novel game adorned with puzzles, is the first runner-up for iPhone. The second one is Plants vs Zombies 2, the sequel to the popular tower defense game. For iPad, Apple has selected the turn-based strategy XCOM: Enemy Unknown and the visually striking endless runner Impossible Road. All are games with unique visuals and atmosphere, something that Apple traditionally values. Looking back in time, last year Apple also gave away game awards and they went to platformer Rayman Jungle Run for iPhone and puzzler game The Room for iPad.
Apple picks Ridiculous Fishing and Badland as its 2013 games of the year
1. iPhone game of 2013: Ridiculous Fishing - $2.99
2. iPhone first runner-up: Device 6 - $3.99
3. iPhone second runner-up: Plants vs Zombies 2 - Free
4. iPad game of 2013: Badland - $3.99
5. iPad first runner-up: XCOM: Enemy Unknown - $19.99
6. iPad second runner-up: Impossible Road - $1.99