Apple narrows the gap with Android in the U.S. during the 3 months ended in April
Meanwhile, Apple remained the largest smartphone manufacturer in the U.S. according to the latest data. The iPhone maker had an average share of 39.2% for the three months ended in April, up 1.4pp from the 37.8% of the U.S. smartphone market it captured during the three months ended in January. With a 22% average share, Samsung was the next largest manufacturer of smartphones in the U.S. That was up from the 21.4% the Korean OEM earned for the three months ended in January. Despite a large .8% percentage point drop for the three months on average, Taiwan based HTC managed to hold on to third place in the states followed by Motorola (8.3%) and LG (6.7%).
comScore's latest U.S. smartphone data Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
iOS 7 release date and time are today (Sep 18), get ready to update!
18 Sep 2013, 04:00
Leaked screenshots reveal a possible upcoming huge Android redesign
14 Apr 2014, 03:50
comScore's latest U.S. smartphone data
source: comScore via AndroidCentral
1. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 227; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
the wording in the headline is sorta misleading. good job apple
7. Doakie (Posts: 849; Member since: 06 May 2009)
Yeah I agree. When I read the "Apple closes the gap with Android" I figured they would have identical percentage points. Because if I say "Joe closes the door" everyone assumes that the door is now closed.
10. jroc74 (Posts: 3977; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
I have to agree with yall 2. Closes the gap...some....might have been better IMO. But hey, I'm no writer...
19. tedkord (Posts: 3917; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Narrows the gap would be more accurate, and I knew Alan F. is an Apple fanboy, but the headline doesn't really bother me.
Look at it this way - at least he hasn't penned an article headlined, "Apple does it again: iPad mini opens the floodgates for 8-inch tablets." You need to go to iBGR for that kind of quality reporting.
11. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4600; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Agree, it is misleading and seems that from time to time it happens here on purpose.
13. darkkjedii (Posts: 9279; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Then from "time to time" visit another site. PA's not holding a gun to your head ya know.
17. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4600; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"PA's not holding a gun to your head ya know."
Sorry, but I'm not interested in your violent fantasies. :D
21. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Where is Droiddoes and Gmracer1.....
2. ajac09 (Posts: 1212; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
wow this just proved how pro apple iphonearena is.
3. MistB (Posts: 543; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
It's Alan F whom I find to be the Apple die hard, notice the wording in all of his articles are very pro Apple.
18. papss (Posts: 3429; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
And every other blogger favors Android...what's your point?
25. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Turbo Diesel injection = Fail®
24. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Hey why the thumbs down...?
Alan loves Nokia Wp8©
28. quadrazeus (Posts: 359; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Alan F is an Apple die hard? Haha, okay.
Check this out, the same Alan F criticized the new iPhone ad:http://www.phonearena.com/news
14. darkkjedii (Posts: 9279; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Yet you keep reading the articles to say that...hmmmm
27. stealthd (Posts: 866; Member since: 12 Jun 2011)
They're just reporting numbers. The numbers are pro-apple, the article isn't. Reality is biased apparently. Your comment proves how much of a butthurt fanboy you are.
4. speckledapple (Posts: 877; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
The title is a bit weird on the word choice. You do know that this will bring the os wars to this story right
5. Atrixboyyy (Posts: 227; Member since: 03 Nov 2011)
must of been alans plan from the beginning...
6. blingblingthing (Posts: 383; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Can't wait until we see some post S4 and one android numbers.
9. jroc74 (Posts: 3977; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
So everybody lost % except Apple. Congrats Apple, iPhone fans....Let the flame wars begin!!!
How in the world can BB release BB10, new phones and an updated OS, and lose points? Android and iOS are gonna be locked at 1-2 for awhile. The real story is whats gonna happen with WP and BB.
12. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 4600; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I think that Windows Phone will be luckier than BlackBerry. :)
15. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
BB will rise, and is rising above the living dead Wp8 platform.
Nokia Wp8 "Underdog" of BB.
But then, Wp8 and BB are both in sinking ships.
23. Ninetysix (Posts: 1072; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
Omg Apple is dying .... Omgomgomg ... Loling@ all the fandroids that keeps on saying that apple is dying. They mad...
26. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Bi there happy, more us like thiy is you®
29. JunitoNH (Posts: 757; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Who wrote this story!!? An android fan, more like Apple increased its lead in the US. Would had been a more suitable tittle.
30. jroc74 (Posts: 3977; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Apple hasnt lead in smartphone market share in about 2 years....
ts/Press_Releases/2011/7/comSc ore_Reports_May_2011_U.S._Mobi le_Subscriber_Market_Share
ts/Press_Releases/2011/8/comSc ore_Reports_July_2011_U.S._Mob ile_Subscriber_Market_Share
ts/Press_Releases/2011/10/comS core_Reports_August_2011_U.S._ Mobile_Subscriber_Market_Share
ts/Press_Releases/2012/9/comSc ore_Reports_July_2012_US_Mobil e_Subscriber_Market_Share
ts/Press_Releases/2012/10/comS core_Reports_August_2012_U.S._ Mobile_Subscriber_Market_Share
ts/Press_Releases/2013/2/comSc ore_Reports_December_2012_U.S. _Smartphone_Subscriber_Market_ Share