The AT&T iPhone 4S now calls itself a 4G device
AT&T iPhone 4S goes "4G" after iOS 5.1 update
1. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Not surprised. Just amazed that even though the iPhone doesn't actually have HSPA+ connectivity AT&T and Apple dare market it as a 4G device.
2. roscuthiii (Posts: 2203; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
They've got nothing to lose... a lot of their consumers already thought the iPhone 4 was 4G.
16. troybuilt (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
LOL! That's right. Might as well make it look good to the iFans. They even call the iPhone 4S "iPhone 4GS" It's really not a 4G phone at all. It does however use AT&T's backhaul but by definition it's not a 4G phone. Apple and criFans are just retarded.
21. jamrockjones (Posts: 345; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
People thought that the iPhone4 (not 4s) was 4G too. People are idiots and Apple and AT&T ought to be sued by Sprint and Verizon for their dishonest advertisement, because now AT&T is the only carrier to have a "4G phone". HSPA+ shouldn't be considered 4G to begin with (it's more like 3G+) but then to say that a phone that doesn't have the antenna to run off their + network and still call it 4G is messed up.
32. CottonCandyPopcorn (Posts: 1; Member since: 08 Mar 2012)
1st. Sprint sucks. 2nd. Verizon 4G isnt real because it keeps "crashing". So that would be stupid to sue. My friend has a Verizon iPhone 4S and my other friend has the Sprint one. My iPhone 4S is faster on the browser and email...etc. I dont remeber that 4G was really heard of when the iPhone 4 was released.
31. galaxyisking (Posts: 58; Member since: 18 Nov 2011)
what really would be funny if the next iphone was called the 4gs and stayed the same with no change just the radio... that would really f*** apple customers..
10. ayephoner (Posts: 850; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
"not surprised. just amazed"
this is par for the course. there is so much confusion over 4g, not even comsumers in the know actually know what is going on.
22. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
@Snigly what is your problem.. T-Mo has been doing it for 2 years now..
25. Abdul92 (Posts: 43; Member since: 23 Aug 2011)
@Sniggly, AT&T market this phone as 4G not Apple...lol,
3. 9_HeLLs_oF_DrOid (Posts: 127; Member since: 02 Jan 2012)
This is the time when I blurt out loud those 3 magical words, "What the f**k?"
4. A.aoudi (Posts: 125; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
They should get sued both AT&T AND Apple should get sued for this crap.
33. stealthd (unregistered)
Then they should sue Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon, since none of them have what was once considered "true 4G".
34. A.aoudi (Posts: 125; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Yea got that right True 4g is not here yet and now they are starting to talk 5g. I wonder when is that going to come out??
5. bigdawg23 (Posts: 446; Member since: 25 May 2011)
The whole 4G thing is marketed because of idiot clueless consumers. You slap 4G on it and they believe its an ultra fast device. Meanwhile, us intelligent tech people just disregard the garbage.
6. andro. (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Usual Apple lying or massively over exaggerating their phones abilities,no surprise its typical,but the ifan braindeads will believe it and thats all Apple wants.
The iphone will have real 4g in 2013 in the iphone 5$
8. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
But then the sheep will think its 5G and we have to start all over again...
17. troybuilt (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
LOL, but when the iPhone 5 comes out the iFans will call it iPhone 5G. I've already heard that last year when the rumors hit before the 4S came out. I think Apple has a daily web conference with their iFans to keep their brainwashing tatics going.
19. ayephoner (Posts: 850; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
how delusional are you guys?
att is the ones that claimed 14.4 mbps is 4g (months before the 4s came out). apple made no claims of 4g at launch of the 4s (which i was shocked by). other att phones using the same technology get the 4g tag.
who knows who is to blame for this exact 4g lie, but att has been doing this with other devices for almost a year now.
and claims can be made that no 4g currently available is real 4g. the entire thing has been mishandled. but please, use it as another excuse and more ammo to flame apple.
23. gallitoking (Posts: 4718; Member since: 17 May 2011)
Apple has never adverstise the iphone as being 4G.. having a 4 has made people believe which are 2 different things...
24. DigitalJedi_X2 (banned) (Posts: 346; Member since: 30 Jan 2012)
Actually, at the iPhone 4S launch, Apple did say that the 4S was faster than 4G smartphones. If I remember correctly, Apple said it was 2x's as fast.
29. ayephoner (Posts: 850; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
they said twice as fast as the iphone 4.
they claimed benchmark speeds faster than 4g phones, which was true.
7. Tre-Nitty (Posts: 468; Member since: 16 Nov 2010)
Wait so its not OK for att to put 4g on the iPhone 4s but its OK for the inspire and atrix to carry the 4g name. Very hypocritical.
13. Jamus (Posts: 30; Member since: 19 Feb 2012)
niether of those phones have 4g on the status bar, correct? Meaning, advertised for capability, but not reflecting of false performance.
11. DOGIEFRESH (Posts: 302; Member since: 15 Jul 2009)
Consumers have the power to either buy it or ignore it, simple don't like what you see get the slower Sprint or Verizon.....!!!!
14. skymitch89 (Posts: 1291; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
I can see more/new ads coming out from At&t/Apple saying something along the lines of "only At&t lets your iPhone talk and surf at 4G speeds."
15. master0fursinz (Posts: 104; Member since: 26 Apr 2010)
Why At&t why? This is going to create so much BS among other carriers and apple AT7T is going to have to put it back to 3G
18. jsjr76 (Posts: 24; Member since: 28 Sep 2010)
If I'm not incorrect the ITU originally stated that for a device to be considered "4G" it had to have download speeds of 100 Mbps. SInce we all know that speed is simply not gonna happen for some time the major carriers more than likely got them to lower the threshold. However, 4th Generation means that NEW technology must be used and slapping a NOS kit on your existing network doesn't qualify. These carriers, namely the one being discussed and simply rich enough to falsely advertise and consumers don't care. Considering where we are now versus 12 years ago when I got my first phone, I couldn't care less. Whether they're 4G, 5G or 20KG!, who cares?? Yes, it's tacky and deceitful, welcome to American capitalism! But regardless, cellular technology is just that, A TELEPHONE! If you want a device to move as fast as cable DSL, I suggest you use that.
20. baaam (Posts: 61; Member since: 06 Jan 2012)
I thought there's a standard qualification for 4G phones?! It's like telling your customer you're dumb so believe us. Oh well!!
26. Lboogey6 (Posts: 281; Member since: 31 Jan 2012)
@Gallitoking the guy clearly stated that it can't reach 21mbps thus not making it 4g Tmo pushes up to 42 & can't hit actual speeds of 22+ no apple didn't lie but people are dumb enough not to realize its the fourth device and not 4g
27. LoneShaolin (Posts: 307; Member since: 14 Jan 2012)
I can just see the arguments I'm going to have with the iLemmings.....
28. cncrim (Posts: 803; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
For most user don't mind, but I found this is offense apple and att insulting our intelligence.
30. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
This is funny, Apple didn't lie? Who the hell released the iOS 5.1? Surely not AT&T, that is apples OS, so Apple did lie. They are blatantly saying 4G in the status bar, when the phone cannot attain 21Mbps and maxes out at 14.4Mbps. Who is telling the lie here? AT&T or Apple? I would have to go with Apple lying since it's their update and after the update landed your AT&T iPhone 4S claims 4G connection, AT&T can just market it as such and feign ignorance. lol.
35. fraydoe (Posts: 57; Member since: 27 Dec 2011)
4g requires a lot of battery, 4s has battery problems, 5.1 doesnt fix battery problems but adds 4g?