70% of developers target Android; most devs make little to no money
1. nothingmuch (Posts: 184; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Is that including pay they get from ads? Android free apps are quite loaded with ads
7. elitewolverine (Posts: 3170; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
They only get money if they click etc, so ads is not always a 'sure' fire way to get cash.
10. Finalflash (Posts: 2097; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
Sure, tell that to flappy birds guy....dude was making so much bank that he just couldn't take it any more after a while.
18. tech2 (Posts: 2910; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
In addition to Finalflash's point, free game like Flappy birds use to earn $50k in a day just in ads !
12. wax33 (Posts: 45; Member since: 06 Apr 2014)
Yes, that's including the ads. The problem with the Vision Mobile poll is that anyone is able to participate--every wanna-be mobile developer. They could also lie, exaggerate etc.
2. refillable (Posts: 831; Member since: 10 Mar 2014)
You must be extremely very very lucky to be a small developer that gains so much cash. Is that what you are trying to tell?
3. Commentator (Posts: 2804; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
"iOS is still the way to go, if you're not looking to quit your day job, because only about 33% of devs on the platform make less than $100 per app per month."
Man, to be able to live on $100 per month...
5. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3473; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
In most parts of Africa 100$ a month would probably make you a rich guy.
4. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3681; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Title is hugely misleading. At first I thought only android devs make little to no money.
8. wilsong17 (unregistered)
Is always like that click bait
6. techloverNYC (Posts: 504; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
Its not that the market has too many apps, its that these so called developers keeping releasing the same basic game with a little difference over and over again. There is at least like 20+ version of Floppy bird and like 5 of them are Top 50 apps in the Play Store. How do you expect to make money when the idea is not original?
From an Android user who is tried of the same idea/game play apps in the play store.
9. elitewolverine (Posts: 3170; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
That is because you can only do so much.
And with no guarantee that your app will hit it big, what are you to do?
DS Games are 20.00, and people pay for it. Would people pay $20.00 for a phone game? Probably not.
Though i do have people that call in that spend 80$ on certain pay to play apps like marvel games.
11. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1438; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
if google introduced a network based pay for apps via prepaid money system , and extend the play store gift card countries , devs will surely make more cash , dropping the number of game pirates
15. mikelemon (Posts: 95; Member since: 21 Nov 2013)
No way bro. It is way too easy for people on android to pirate. All you need to do is google XXX.apk and you have the app. For iOS you must jailbreak and do certain things before be able to pirate.
19. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
13. gazmatic (Posts: 628; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
compare app revenue.
they need to update this
14. gazmatic (Posts: 628; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
16. WinDroid (Posts: 77; Member since: 20 May 2014)
So basically, make games for PC/Consoles and ignore the cesspool that is Apple Appstore/Google Play/Windows Store.
17. JGuinan007 (Posts: 649; Member since: 19 May 2011)
App developers would make a lot more money if Google Play, and the App Store would crack down on certain Devs flooding the app stores with crap ware, complete clone rip offs of other apps and just plain junk not to mention trying to find apps that you really want or may need is ridiculously hard to find unless you know the exact name of the app you want this turns off a lot of people from trying new apps for fear of getting adware programs installed or getting there email jammed with junk mail. Bottom line both App stores need to be overhauled to make better app categories and better searches so a search for garden planners doesn't come back with palnts vs zombies or garden defense ect and allow the quality apps to be found and purchased
20. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
11% of developer were clueless that they targeting a dead platform.http://online.wsj.com/articles
As mention in the above WSJ article. BB close their Germany unit that responsible for apps for BB10. And will no longer accept BB apps after december 2014.
21. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3681; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Pro tip: Don't troll companies/OEMs/Platform OS, instead troll fanboys. ;)
22. WahyuWisnu (Posts: 1001; Member since: 29 May 2014)
Is it a crime to put the fact that BB shut down their consumer apps platform? Is it a crime to REPORT truth?