Smartphone security: Is my fingerprint safe in there?

Join the discussion
Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 4mo ago

When I was a kid, watching a movie where the main character used his fingerprint for authorization always felt thrilling. All the Bond movies with retina scans, fingerprint-activated guns, and voice recognition seemed like science fiction back in the day. And yet, a decade or two later, we have this tech in our smartphones! The 3D map of my face is somewhere in the cloud, along with most of my fingerprints. I get it; it's way easier to use your thumb than to memorize a strong password (use a capital letter, a number, and a special symbol, please), but there's a pressing question. What happens if your biometrics are compromised? You can change your password, but you can't change your face or fingerprints (unless you're super-rich or kinda crazy). What's your opinion on the matter? Do you use biometrics, and are you comfortable with this data somewhere in the cloud?

• 4mo ago

The one benefit to using a fingerprint is that if you drop dead and family or friends need to get into you phone...well...if they think of it before your wheeled away they can always press your finger(s) on the reader to unlock your phone! Kind of morbid, I know, but reality sometimes stinks.

• 4mo ago
↵MariyanSlavov said:

When I was a kid, watching a movie where the main character used his fingerprint for authorization always felt thrilling. All the Bond movies with retina scans, fingerprint-activated guns, and voice recognition seemed like science fiction back in the day. And yet, a decade or two later, we have this tech in our smartphones! The 3D map of my face is somewhere in the cloud, along with most of my fingerprints. I get it; it's way easier to use your thumb than to memorize a strong password (use a capital letter, a number, and a special symbol, please), but there's a pressing question. What happens if your biometrics are compromised? You can change your password, but you can't change your face or fingerprints (unless you're super-rich or kinda crazy). What's your opinion on the matter? Do you use biometrics, and are you comfortable with this data somewhere in the cloud?

I had never thought of it until you mentioned it and it got me thinking. I'm pushing 60 so I don't think this will affect me so much as it will y'all youngsters: Will face mapping require any updating as you grow older? As I said, I have my fair collection of wrinkles, a grey-covered beard and a few roof tiles missing so my face won't change much for the forseeable future. But what about those unblemished, taut faces on the teens and twentysomethings out there?

My fingerprints are probably done as I don't do any hands-on field work anymore and whatever scars or burns there are, it won't change but what about present-day welders, mechanics, roofers, plumbers, etc. that are just starting out? Maybe a good PIN isn't so bad to share with the missus after all. I'm practical, I've had 2 MCIs already so my wife knows my PIN just in case.

• 4mo ago

I never use fingerprint readers or face recognition on phones. Never have before, and probably will not, until it becomes required at some point...

• 4mo ago

I have "indistinct" ridges, or so I was told some 50 years ago when I was fingerprinted for a security clearance. Getting declined for a clearance when you work for a defense contractor is not good. Fortunately soaking my hands in water made them wrinkly enough to classify.

Fast forward to phone fingerprint sensors. A couple of phones back, I had to wet my finger before every unlock. The last phone would accept fingerprints from multiple fingers, but only could recognize one of them. When I added the same finger twice, I got better recognition. Now I have a Pixel 8 Pro, and it seems to recognize pretty well, and more than one finger. Better sensors make a big difference. I guess if my phone had trouble recognizing me, I didn't worry about someone else getting in.

My husband and I use the same pattern on our phones, so if something happens he can open mine and vice versa.

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 4mo ago
↵Crispin_Gatieza said:

I had never thought of it until you mentioned it and it got me thinking. I'm pushing 60 so I don't think this will affect me so much as it will y'all youngsters: Will face mapping require any updating as you grow older? As I said, I have my fair collection of wrinkles, a grey-covered beard and a few roof tiles missing so my face won't change much for the forseeable future. But what about those unblemished, taut faces on the teens and twentysomethings out there?

My fingerprints are probably done as I don't do any hands-on field work anymore and whatever scars or burns there are, it won't change but what about present-day welders, mechanics, roofers, plumbers, etc. that are just starting out? Maybe a good PIN isn't so bad to share with the missus after all. I'm practical, I've had 2 MCIs already so my wife knows my PIN just in case.

That's an interesting take! I'm not sure what the resolution of these 3D sensors is or whether they will pick up subtle changes in face topology, such as wrinkles. The same applies if you lose a lot of weight (or gain), your face changes substantially...

Mariyan Slavov
Mariyan Slavov
Phonearena team
Original poster
• 4mo ago
↵JaneE said:

I have "indistinct" ridges, or so I was told some 50 years ago when I was fingerprinted for a security clearance. Getting declined for a clearance when you work for a defense contractor is not good. Fortunately soaking my hands in water made them wrinkly enough to classify.

Fast forward to phone fingerprint sensors. A couple of phones back, I had to wet my finger before every unlock. The last phone would accept fingerprints from multiple fingers, but only could recognize one of them. When I added the same finger twice, I got better recognition. Now I have a Pixel 8 Pro, and it seems to recognize pretty well, and more than one finger. Better sensors make a big difference. I guess if my phone had trouble recognizing me, I didn't worry about someone else getting in.

My husband and I use the same pattern on our phones, so if something happens he can open mine and vice versa.

When I map my fingerprint for the first time, I always do the same as you: enter the same finger twice or three times for accuracy. The only phone where I was getting 100% unlocks (and fast) was the ZenFone 9. This thing was picking my fingerprint retroactively in time! It was uncanny! Not sure if it was secure enough, though...

• 4mo ago

I am new to this discuss

• 4mo ago
↵Mohabeer said:

I am new to this discuss

Welcome, my friend!

• 2mo ago

I'm not an expert but I think your fingerprint is stored on your phone and it's use as security involves matching what's on your phone with what that site has..copy and paste won't work to transfer the info

FCC OKs Cingular\'s purchase of AT&T Wireless