When will my phone get the Android 4.4 KitKat update: here is what we know
The new Android 4.4 KitKat however still seems to be coming first and only to the top-shelf devices. Here is the list of phones we know will get the update, and we have added a timeframe for its arrival for the phones that we know. Some of the information comes straight from the manufacturer, and update info for others is just based on rumors, so we've tried to make it clear what is the case for each phone.
If you are wondering whether a device that is not on the list will get KitKat, let us say that chances are the manufacturer has either not yet announced plans for the update, or - sadly - the device will not get the updated.
- Padfone 2 - by end of Q2 2014
- Padfone Infinity - by end of Q2 2014
- Padfone A80 - by end of Q2 2014
- New Padfone Infinity - Q3 2014
- HTC One – rolling out now (AT&T and T-Mobile versions are getting it now)
- HTC One mini - rolling out now
- HTC One max - confirmed for update
- HTC One Google Play Edition – updated
- HTC Droid DNA - confirmed for update, by end of Q1 2014
- LG G2 - rolling out now (US carriers are not getting it yet, though)
- LG G Flex - rumored to get KitKat
- LG Optimus G Pro - rumored to get KitKat
- LG Optimus G - rumored to get KitKat
- LG G Pro Lite - rumored to get KitKat
- LG Optimus L9 II - rumored to get KitKat
- LG Optimus Vu II, Vu III - rumored to get KitKat
- LG Optimus F7, F6, F3 - rumored to get KitKat
- LG G Pad 8.3 - rumored to get KitKat
- Moto X - updated
- Moto G - updated
- DROID Ultra - rolling out now
- DROID Maxx - rolling out now
- DROID Mini - rolling out now
- DROID RAZR M (including Dev Edition) - confirmed for update, no timeframe
- DROID RAZR HD (including Dev Edition) - confirmed for update, no timeframe
- DROID RAZR MAXX HD - confirmed for update, no timeframe
- Atrix HD - confirmed for update, no timeframe
- Electrify M - confirmed for update, no timeframe
- Razr i - confirmed for update, no timeframe
- Nexus 4 – updated
- Nexus 7 – updated (arrived in early November)
- Nexus 10 – updated (arrived in early November)
- Galaxy S4 Google Play Edition – updated
- Galaxy S4 - rolling out now (AT&T getting it now)
- Galaxy Note 3 - rolling out now
- Galaxy S III - confirmed for update (rumored to get KitKat in March/April 2014)
- Galaxy Note II - confirmed for update (rumored to get KitKat in March/April 2014)
- Galaxy S4 mini - confirmed for update
- Galaxy S4 Active - confirmed for update
- Galaxy S4 Zoom - confirmed for update
- Galaxy S III - confirmed for update
- Galaxy S III mini - confirmed for update
- Galaxy Mega - confirmed for update
- Galaxy Light - confirmed for update
- Galaxy Note 8.0 - confirmed for update
- Galaxy Tab 3 (7-inch, 8-inch and 10-inch editions) - confirmed for update
- Galaxy Note 10.1 - confirmed for update
- Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) - confirmed for update
- Sony Xperia Z1 / Z Ultra - confirmed for update (rumored to get KitKat in early February)
- Sony Xperia Z, ZL, Tablet Z - confirmed for update, no timeframe
- Sony Xperia SP - confirmed for update, no timeframe
- Sony Xperia ZR, Xperia T, Xperia TX and Xperia V - investigating update possibility
Other Samsung devices like the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and Galaxy S4 with TouchWiz are notably absent. That’s because Samsung has not unveiled plans yet.
1. PowTheBowl (Posts: 65; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
If the HTC One Google Play edition is getting the update in 15 days, it might be the same with the Nexus line and the S4 Google Play Edition then.
61. sumitavaghosh (Posts: 4; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)
when can i get Anoroid 4.4 KitKat on my Note II its not having 4.1.2... is it at all any chances for getting 4.4 on Note II
183. lallolu (Posts: 202; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
Why are you still on 4.1.2? Note II has 4.3 available.
194. davenycept (Posts: 139; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
That's true.. you should be on jb already
152. pyradark (Posts: 687; Member since: 10 Jun 2012)
well I can wait that long Z ultra
atleast Sony is taking good care of other 2012-2013 phone
compare to Samsung (only 2 flagship)
and LG(really G2 only??)
181. Droiderr (Posts: 27; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
flagships are meant to be few in number. Only sony keeps popping out flagships every month fot no reason. If every phone is a flagship then whts the meaning behind it?
And ig u really think samsung is bad in updating its phones you need to do a serioud fact check immediately.
131. cheetah2k (Posts: 727; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Galaxy Note 3 got it today :) official 4.4.2
188. rallyguy (Posts: 401; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
Yeah. I got the OTA for KitKat on my Sprint Note 3 yesterday.
27. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 650; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
samsung dont be like old HTC
i know n2 n s3 ll get 4.3 soon
but v want 4.4
46. Souru (Posts: 2; Member since: 27 Aug 2013)
Hey ! everybody is waiting for Kitkat but for instance they have a reson to get satisfied because its possible to get complete kitkat experience on devices running on Jelly bean .
How To : letskickstart.com/2013/11/how-to-get-android-44-on-your-jelly.html
47. Wiki_jaan (Posts: 650; Member since: 24 Jun 2012)
s3 i9300 4.3 test FW is available now on Sammobile
62. sumitavaghosh (Posts: 4; Member since: 31 Oct 2013)
when can i get Anoroid 4.4 KitKat on my Note II its not having 4.1.2... is it at all any chances for getting 4.4 on Note II
147. JocularJ (Posts: 5; Member since: 27 Apr 2011)
ive been rocking 4.3 on my VERIZON n2, for about 2 weeks now. my wife's VERIZON s3 updated to 4.3 a good two days before me.
34. TwentyWendy (banned) (Posts: 65; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
Where's galaxy nexus? Hehe fail :p
37. ocilfa (Posts: 283; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Actually not Samsung's fault, its Texas Instruments.
79. JakeLee (Posts: 372; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
Of course, if the battery in your Sammy phone explodes, it's not Sammy's fault, but some nameless one's who sold the batteries to Sammy.
130. Extradite (banned) (Posts: 316; Member since: 30 Dec 2013)
And he is a smart classic troll who bashes Android but loves Apples closed system. Wow a System Dev like would normally praise opensource and admire Linux more than ios, osx. He has a avatar of Android and then dislikes Android utmostly.
I would love to debate and have a go with you but i'm not a system or a app dev. But if you was on Anandtech, you would be confronted by loads users, cause the users on there are on the next level of knowledge...
138. giani (Posts: 184; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
PapaSmurf, kids under 12 are not allowed to use that word. Plus I've got copy rights on that word...and I use it mainly for 'sammy' fans. Nothing from what he said makes him an android hater. Ex: Should I remind u how judgemental you're comments are when htc gets banned because of an infringement from a hardware done by a dif manufacturer ?! Ohhh yes it's htc's fault...they should know better...well yr sammy should know better as well before they decide to put a crappy processor in a phone...especially a nexus phone that is meant to be compatible for upgrades for a long time. Yes GALAXY NEXUS is a fail. Ta da.
142. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5926; Member since: 14 May 2012)
You should probably read the comments again before trying to call me out. Not only do you look like an ass right now, but the validity of your comment is now worthless.
If you don't know what you're talking about, then please don't pretend like you do. It's TI's fault the GN didn't get updated to 4.4. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you honestly.
164. tedkord (Posts: 3781; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Just like if an iPhone electrocutes you it's not Apples fault but some third party charger.
135. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 334; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
It's Google's fault dammit. Google is responsible for creating software for Galaxy Nexus.
143. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5926; Member since: 14 May 2012)
TI has to release the drivers, which isn't possible anymore since they've dropped out of the business. Google can theoretically do it themselves, but it would take a hell lot of money for a small userbase. It's better to just upgrade to the Nexus 5 tbh.
80. boosook (Posts: 730; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
The hardware is different, and the drivers are different...
2. twens (Posts: 421; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
I wonder how 4.4 will perform on the already memory abundant note 3.
3. dickwyn (Posts: 543; Member since: 07 May 2012)
that app better manage the ram usage of kitkat
6. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Actually the question should be how STOCK 4.4 runs on the Note 3. Touchwiz has been notorious for scrolling lag.
132. cheetah2k (Posts: 727; Member since: 16 Jan 2011)
Really Really well. Claws back about 460mb more free!! so smooth, loving it!
163. XaErO (Posts: 99; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
It really runs faster .. I've updated mine .. Runs every app faster than ever .. Although I could not see the ART runtime setting in it .. and I'm also looking forward to the upcoming Touchwiz (optimized for performance) version which may get introduced with Galaxy S5.
190. rallyguy (Posts: 401; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
No problems at all so far. I can't get it to lag no matter what I do.
5. Lampriya (Posts: 105; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
My friend's Lg optimus g never gets updated. what will you say about this google?
8. vincelongman (Posts: 483; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
Well, that's either LG's fault or his carrier's fault, not Google's.
10. Dingy_cellar_dweller (Posts: 169; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
The majority of Android phones die with the operating system they are born with, unless you root and rom it.
91. rabidhunter (Posts: 90; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
A good deal of those phones are low end phones were forgotten along the way. Lately, a good deal of phones are getting updated. For example the 2012 Motorola phones are getting updated. Also, because Google has seperated a lot of the key functions from the main OS (i.e. Keyboard, Calander, Hangouts, etc...) this is becoming less of a factor.
134. zunaidahmed (Posts: 25; Member since: 24 Dec 2011)
it's good that u said majority, or I would just point out nexus series to debate against u, anyway, good call.
22. varuntis1993 (Posts: 40; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
Same here.....i have Lg optimus G pro and it is still stuck with android 4.1.2 with some major battery drainage bugs, I don't know wtf Lg does.....i just hate lg for not updating android on time.
24. blingblingthing (Posts: 356; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
If you cared that much about updates/features, you'd be rooted and flashing the latest Roms.
33. JC557 (Posts: 677; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
The problem with that is not many people, especially devs, may have a certain phone which means little to no ROMS. I have experienced this with the LG Spectrum 2. We have a root method but no fully functional ROMS and it's still stuck on 4.1.2. Not even CM seems to btoher. People on the Droid Charge aren't faring all that better either.
LG is the main culprit here and I would hope the G2 won't meet the same fate.
40. varuntis1993 (Posts: 40; Member since: 13 Jun 2012)
My device is still under warranty period and I do not prefer to root until the warranty period expires....:)
92. luigi0824 (Posts: 42; Member since: 06 Aug 2013)
lg never updates their smartphones except the nexus
9. goojman (Posts: 43; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
If they dont update the Note 3 with 4.4 then my future phones will definitely be a Nexus or Google Branded phone!!
191. rallyguy (Posts: 401; Member since: 13 Mar 2012)
The Note 3 and S4 were updated awhile ago. Your complaint is with the carriers who release it OTA. I received my OTA update yesterday with Sprint.
11. TheOldOne (Posts: 51; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
No info on Nexus 3... guess they tough is either that device is old or is not needed since it has 1GB of RAM.
Me not happy :(
13. TheOldOne (Posts: 51; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Is Google releasing Android 4.4 as a system update for Galaxy Nexus?
No, Galaxy Nexus phones won’t be receiving the update for Android 4.4 (KitKat).
Why isn’t Galaxy Nexus receiving the update to Android 4.4?
Galaxy Nexus, which first launched two years ago, falls outside of the 18-month update window when Google and others traditionally update devices.
12. berio123 (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
My galaxy S3 has been laggy and has locked up completely a few times since the Android 4.1.2 upgrade. So I am not so fussed about upgrades anymore.
21. boosook (Posts: 730; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Blame Samsung, not Google. The 4.1.2 on the Nexus worked like a charm, and the same holds for 4.2.2 and 4.3.
64. berio123 (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
Of course not, why would I blame google ? They only provide the build for the Nexuses, not the whole market ...
136. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 334; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
The same doesn't hold for 4.2.2. IIRC 4.2.x were the buggiest Android version ever released since ICS.
14. _Bone_ (Posts: 1998; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
So do we get transparent notification and Android bar?
93. rabidhunter (Posts: 90; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
For sure with Nova Prime and Android 4.4. Not sure if it comes with stock launcher.
15. drs.beny (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
When will it come in Indonesia or Singapore?