Startup, Jolla, gets a gift from Nokia – MeeGo patents
1. yowanvista (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
An OS like this is nothing without much 3rd party developer support nor without Quality Apps. Such is the case of Symbian.
9. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
actually n9 can run android apps thanks to dalvik port
16. yowanvista (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Better run the real thing on your device instead of ripping some of its components off.
18. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
you must be andro/ios fanboy.
have you ever tried to search for symbian apps or have you stopped at nokia store??
I profoundly believe that the right answer is the second one.
2. B3BLW29 (Posts: 237; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
Best of luck Jolla hope u'll bring Meego devices to India :).. Would have loved an N9 in India
4. MeoCao (unregistered)
Jolla must be able to run Android apps, and they should keep MeeGo interface and build on it.
6. wendygarett (unregistered)
i heard that meego also linux based is it? If that so nokia should corpopate with google so that meego can taste google play app. And i think google dont mind that cant deliver android os to nokia...
7. MeoCao (unregistered)
Yes, all Jolla has to do is using same API as Android. B-c Android is open source Linux and same is Meego so I don't think Google is able to prevent that even if they want.
But my guess is Google will not allow Jolla to access Play store b-c the sales will not be big and Jolla can be a real threat to Android.
5. thebest (Posts: 231; Member since: 08 Jul 2012)
i knew it............when i said that nokia will gift them with meego patents, others replied to me saying that nokia will never do that, they were wrong........nokia had to do it, nokia ditched their employees and left them unemployed, so it was nokia's responsibility to give them what they deserved
13. MeoCao (unregistered)
The fact is Nokia did not do that, they just help Jolla with an incubator program but keep the patents. Check Engaget for update.
8. haseebzahid (Posts: 1836; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
so its actually a nokia child company as nokia signed with MS but they dont want to abandon the meego this good move make another company and give them what they will need to get started i like this approch
11. azri05 (unregistered)
That shows us Linux breed is awesome!
22. zazori08 (Posts: 113; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
Linus Torvalds is a real genius compared to that s**tty ungraduated b*tch Bill Gates
12. PhansMuneeb (Posts: 354; Member since: 28 Jan 2012)
Another reason to love Nokia
Others are Design, Build quality and support BTW
15. steelicon (Posts: 313; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
Update: Looks like something got lost in translation. According to a statement given to SlashGear from Nokia’s Mark Durrant, the company has not given Jolla any patents. ”We’re proud of the support from our Bridge program to start-ups founded by former Nokia people,” Durrant told us, “but we have not gifted Nokia patents to any of them, including Jolla.”
19. steelicon (Posts: 313; Member since: 02 Apr 2011)
21. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i really hope jolla will port the android apps to meego!!! it will bew the best! but still i hope the make there own market!
23. AndroidShiz (Posts: 145; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
Sounds like it'll be a Jolla good time indeed.