Sony Xperia Sirius (Z2?) and a new Sony tablet appear at the FCC, US LTE in tow
The smartphone is the Sony PM-0740-BV and, according to a Japanese blog that’s usually very reliable, this is the rumored Xperia Sirius D6503 - which could be called Xperia Z2 when it hits the market. The FCC reveals that the PM-0740-BV features Wi-Fi b/g/n/a/ac, Bluetooth 4.0, and support for the following LTE bands: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 20. This means that the handset will be compatible with the 4G LTE networks of three major US carriers: Verizon (bands 4 and 13), AT&T (bands 2, 4 and 17), and T-Mobile (band 4).
As for the new tablet seen at the FCC, this is the TM-0043-BV, and comes with the same connectivity options as the PM-0740-BV. The Japanese blog notes that the tablet is codenamed Castor, and could be released in Japan in the second quarter of the year, via NTT docomo and KDDI.
Sony might want to announce the Xperia Sirius / Z2 as soon as late February (at MWC 2014). According to the latest rumors, the smartphone may run Android 4.4 KitKat, featuring a 5.2-inch Quad HD (1440 x 2560) display, dual speakers, quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM8974-AB processor, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of internal memory, and a 20.7MP (or 23MP) rear camera. Since all the latest Sony flagships are waterproof, the new one shouldn’t be afraid of water, either.
Unfortunately, we don’t have too many details on the new Sony tablet, but perhaps the company will unveil it at the same time with the Sirius / Z2. We’ll be here to keep you posted!
sources: FCC (1), (2), Blog of Mobile (1), (2) (translated)
15. Filip. (Posts: 13; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
:'( I asked a Sprint employee two months ago if there he knows if they might have anything from Sony in the pipeline. He said, "I don't think Sprint has ever carried a Sony phone..Didn't hear anything."
17. Miracles (Posts: 307; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
I think Sony doesn't like SoftBank...they always release with NTT Docomo and AU KDDI. So Sprint doesn't get much love either...or they just don't do CDMA.
Then again Verizon is CDMA too.
30. Filip. (Posts: 13; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
They did bring the Xperia Play to Verizon which is CDMA but yeah..I saw last year that Softbank didn't have anything from Sony either..They can do it but I'm not sure why they don't have CDMA radios and GSM like my Moto X for example.
24. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 5462; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
It's because it's a gsm phone. Would be nice if Sony makes a sprint phone to make more sales n for sprint consumers
3. ArtSim98 (Posts: 801; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Aaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwww can't wait! And Sony should make a special phone to Finland because that one only survives in -20 degrees Celsius lol.
6. brar.arsh (Posts: 94; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
In Canada, my Nexus 5 and Note 3 both are surviving -47 degrees.
10. Miracles (Posts: 307; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
LOL Its like -25 C here in Detroit.
THE PHONE IS GONNA SURVIVE ....I'M NOT :D
20. mokhtar (Posts: 99; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
I wonder if they falls in a freezing water they will survive ? Hahhahahha
21. Miracles (Posts: 307; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
If your talking about the phone, then you can laugh after you FIX your own English.
Also if its a SONY smartphone, then YES because they are waterproof.
28. mokhtar (Posts: 99; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
My english is good, i speak 5 languages you idiot, french, english arabic spanish and russian, can u do that mr miracles ? Too much idiots in this world now pfff
31. Miracles (Posts: 307; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Says the guy who can't capitalize and there is a comma after Arabic and Spanish.
Also its Mr.Miracles.
You should also put the question as a different sentence. Like so:
Can you do that Mr.Miracles?
32. mokhtar (Posts: 99; Member since: 06 Jan 2014)
Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh really you should see a doctor man, seriously you are sick.. Comma plz, adios maricon
4. neops (Posts: 107; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
Tablet codename "Castor" suggests that there's a twin one (castor and polydefkis, ancient sparta)
5. Feanor (Posts: 254; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Erm, almost... the internal name of the Tablet Z was Pollux. So, they already used the name of Castor's brother.
8. Feanor (Posts: 254; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Exactly; clever Sony. ;-)
Or someone in their R&D department has a good knowledge of ancient Greek mythology.
9. neops (Posts: 107; Member since: 28 Jan 2014)
Probably from the twins of gemini constellation
11. Feanor (Posts: 254; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
Exactly, they are using stars and constellations as code names; Sirious, Canopus, and the Gemini twins, Castor and Pollux.
12. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 672; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
With dual speakers and 23mp rear cam,this should be one hell of a flagship,.i think I'm not getting the z1.waitng of this bad boy.
13. Amir1 (Posts: 120; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
PHONE ARENA, please stop spreading nonsense info. even people who know the reliable rumors and leaks know that the camera is 20.7 mp and it's NOT the Z2 (for the million time, god). it's a Z1 refresh, they will call it Z1 (something). Z2 will only come at h2. this should be a great device nonetheless!
18. Florin.T (Posts: 51; Member since: 16 Dec 2013)
We're mentioning that all this is "according to rumors." Since there's no reliable info yet, that's the best we can do. Who exactly are these "people who know the reliable rumors and leaks"?
22. Insignificant (Posts: 183; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
The same ones that trolled you nosey guys almost exactly a year ago.
26. Dowson (Posts: 58; Member since: 22 Nov 2013)
Go on xda -> xperia z1 -> general and you'll see a post of a dude who already have this phone in his hands. There are videos, photos and also the firmware. You could ask for an interview as well.
27. Leonis (Posts: 123; Member since: 08 Jan 2014)
I agree, it will not be the z2.. It is most likely be a refresh.
14. Filip. (Posts: 13; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Sprint? :'( I really hope the successor to the Z ultra comes to the US. Good thing Sony is getting ready to launch their top devices here :D
16. surethom (Posts: 144; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
I wish Sony would use Less megapixels & use a much larger sensor. 12megapixel with large sensor would give a much better image.
23. Insignificant (Posts: 183; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
The Sony sensor is massive. Look it up. The software on the other hand... Compression is hideous. This incremental upgrade will come with significantly better camera software, which will blow away everything android or iOS...
19. GeekMovement (Posts: 1471; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
That's too bad. I would have seriously considered this as my next phone, but I'm glad that Sony is expanding into more carriers.
25. Adrian38 (Posts: 52; Member since: 05 Nov 2012)
Better have a HUGE battery. Also, I'm very surprised it will work on Verizon. Very un-Sony like.
29. JerryTime (Posts: 417; Member since: 09 Nov 2013)
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE put this phone out on all major carriers!!!